Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Why did other carrier(s) get a Windows OS 700 and we (Sprint users) get stuck with the Palm OS version?

Like many, I have been waiting for the new 700's to come out for CDMA and was hoping for the newer OS version.

Can anyone explain?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TDHOGGS
    Why did other carrier(s) get a Windows OS 700 and we (Sprint users) get stuck with the Palm OS version?

Like many, I have been waiting for the new 700's to come out for CDMA and was hoping for the newer OS version.

Can anyone explain?
    Wait about 6 weeks and you should have an option to have your 700W.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Verizon has exclusivity of 700w until June. Sprint did come out with WM5-based 6700 first, Verizon first with 700w.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Sprint announced that it would be carrying the 700w in the second half of the year:

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-6072...2844&subj=news
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by TDHOGGS

Can anyone explain?
    Yeah, why should we get stuck with a Dodge Viper when Johnny gets a new Mustang ????
    Haha, a Dodge Viper than can't drive and play music at the same time... doh!
    At least the viper is automatic -- i.e., you don't have to depend on a stick to drive it.
    Here we go....

"stuck with" and "newer OS version" are a little loaded and asking for it don't you think? "Stuck with" would be your opinion and not the majority opinion on the board. "Older version" is just inaccurate. The 700p has Palm OS version 5.4.9. Since this is it's first release date, it is the newest version of either OS. Yes, it is a newer version of an OS that is several years old. But WM5 is a newer version of WM2003 which is a newer version of PPC. Sooooooooo..... while you can argue about which is better or which has evolved more or which is more modern, there is no reasonable argument which is the newer version.

Maybe the OP should have been a little more careful with his language if he didn't want a flame war. Or maybe I give the OP a little too much credit assuming he didn't want a flame war.
    The point I was getting at is this....OS doesn't matter provided you give it the "oomph" it needs. To my mind, a Treo is a business tool which benefits from it working when it's suppossed to be working. To work well, it needs free memory and Palm starts you out with about 23 MB free from the getgo on the 650.....on the 700p it's about 52. For many others "business tool" is not what comes to mind when they think of their Treo.

OTOH, the Palm 700w is leaves WM5 users with a paltry sum of memory available by comparison. WM simply needs more memory to perform its more visually oriented focus. WM is a more visually, if you don't mind the word "fluff" oriented operating system. It has more of a multimedia "ooh wow look at that" focus than a "I simply wanna get things done quickly focus".

Wanna make a quick call, grab some data off a web page quickly, pull some data out of a spreadseet in a flash, ... then I think you are gonna be best served by palm OS cause it simply is capable of doing more business oriented things quickly with less hardware.

Wanna show your friends your favorite parts of "Kill Bill Vol 1", then WM is ya better option. The Business Press has been extremely consistent in saying that the Treo 700w is the best WM5 devcie out there (well until just recently), however almost every such review concludes with a statement that it falls short of the 650. In the business market, efficiency is key and Palm still sits as king of the hill there as the uncanny consistency of these reviews repeatedly bangs home. But if I wanted to "wow" someone, market it as a MM device....I'd use a 700w for the wowing.

Of course I have left out the e-mail thing which comes down to this....look at the 700w harder if you have exchange server. If ya don't, not being able to remote wipe the device and other things may deal killers for many business users.
    ^^^^ What he said
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Jack put it well...

The 700w does have an OS that is more visually appealing and has better multimedia, email and security features...

I for one have not given the Palm OS a chance (never ever used one for more than 5 seconds) because the graphics/icons seem so bland..throw in that it only supported real media files (650) out of the box and I was gone...WM gave me Outlook, Internet Explorer, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Instant Messenger on my phone (out of the box)...that was SOOO cool to me since I was familiar and used to them on my desktop computer.

I rejoiced when I heard they were coming out with a Treo that has Windows Mobile as the Treo always had that damn near perfect form factor I lusted after so much...

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the market for Palm. Based just on the consumers initial impressions in the store I imagine that the 700w will do better..... In the corporate world the added security benefits and Exchange server synchronization capabilities of the 700w seem to make it a better choice....but I guess I am biased
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    I rejoiced when I heard they were coming out with a Treo that has Windows Mobile as the Treo always had that damn near perfect form factor I lusted after so much
    Nothing like a pocket full of BSOD.. Having said that, the screen on the 700P and the 650 is gorgeous compared to the bland 240x240 screen on the 700W.. I'm sorry, but Windows has no place in my pocket..

but I guess I am biased
    No ****.
    Unlocked Treo 650 (Nov 05) BTW: T-Zones sux!
    There was a definite reason that the earlier incarnation of Pocket PC's OS was called "WinCE." Every time I use a PPC and it does it's inevitable freezeup, or all the button pushes necessary to do something simply accomplished on the Palm OS, it makes me wince. I really wish Pocket Windows (or whatever they want to call it this year) WAS a decent and efficient OS, as Palm needs some competition. But just entering revisions to some contact's information has me wondering WTF Microsoft spends all that money on... they had the advantage of being richer and learning from Palm's mistakes, and they built the "windows feel" into something completely too small for all that pointing and clicking. If it weren't for "nobody gets fired for buying Microsoft" Wince/PPC/WinMob/etc would have died it's appropriate death years ago. However, we should thank M$ for keeping it going - if not for the competition Palm would still be selling 160x160 monochrome devices without card slots and $300 price tags.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    throw in that it only supported real media files (650) out of the box and I was gone...)
    IIRC, 700p does WMP
    The 700w does have an OS that is more visually appealing and has better multimedia
    One great thing about Palms, is that you can make them into anything you like. Sure the default launcher looks bland compared to WM.

But I can tell you this--after having years of experience with both platforms--I'd much rather use a decent third-party launcher with my Treo than navigate WM.

In addition, about the only multimedia that I feel is lacking on my Treo is Flash--and even then I don't think I'd use it that often (yes, I wouldn't mind it for browsing the Web).

Right out of the box the Treo 650 (let alone the 700p) comes with software that allows you to drag-and-drop photos and videos to. Videos are automatically converted and sent to the Treo during the next sync.

I don't personally use that feature, as I do my own encoding and conversion, but it's brain-dead simple for a new user. That doesn't mean I don't use my Treo for multimedia: it is my music player, and I keep at least one full-length movie (from DVD) and a few hours of television programming (from my HTPC) with me at all times. With the (free) TCMP, video plays like a champ.

Do note I still own an iPaq 2200, but rarely use it (my wife does, but she is seriously wanting her own Treo now).

I for one have not given the Palm OS a chance (never ever used one for more than 5 seconds) because the graphics/icons seem so bland..throw in that it only supported real media files (650) out of the box and I was gone...
    Perhaps if you spent more than 5 seconds with it you would have realized that it didn't only support Real Media files. No Real Media files have ever been loaded on my Treo, yet the Real Player included with it handled my MP3s without issue.

Granted, I've customized my ROM (ever remove stuff from ROM on a WM device?), and Real Player is now gone. But it's been replaced by Pocket Tunes, which is much more capable anyway (streaming audio, etc.).

WM gave me Outlook, Internet Explorer, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Instant Messenger on my phone (out of the box)...that was SOOO cool to me since I was familiar and used to them on my desktop computer.
    Pocket Word et al ain't all that cool compared to Documents-To-Go. They are instead quite lame indeed. Trust me. And Docs-to-Go is included with the Treo (the 700p comes with a newer version).

In the corporate world the added security benefits and Exchange server synchronization capabilities of the 700w seem to make it a better choice....but I guess I am biased
    Ya' think?

--
    Mike
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I don't know... cant seem to get on the Palm OS bandwagon

It's great to have a choice though....as I (and a lot of other people) would never have been a Palm customer if it wasn't for the 700w.

I look forward to seeing the sales numbers for the two devices...of course just because the WM version may sell better does not mean that it is a better device....but in the end it does get a lot more development resources. WM6 has already been released to manufacturers.
    gex you can buy my 700w on june 3rd. It will be up for sell on ebay $400+ easy!
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Of course I have left out the e-mail thing which comes down to this....look at the 700w harder if you have exchange server. If ya don't, not being able to remote wipe the device and other things may deal killers for many business users.
    Cant you do a remote wipe of a Palm OS device? Will the 700p have this feature?

Actually....does the 700p even support Direct Push?

I thought I read that it does....that and it can now sync contacts with Exchange.

...will have to get one to play with I guess...
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cccablecompany
    gex you can buy my 700w on june 3rd. It will be up for sell on ebay $400+ easy!
    LOL.. got mine for $199 from our corp. account rep

We have about 20+ of them in use....and about 80 Blackberry's. No PalmOS treos though....
    There are several tools that allow you to remote wipe a POS Treo. That is not a deal killer at all.

I don't know about direct push with Exchange out of the box, but there are a bunch of reasonably priced tools to do that too. Intellisync, Chatter, Goodlink, etc... All cheaper than Blackberry.

Also GroupWise offers push email, calendar, contacts, to do, etc with Treo's on POS and WM5 out of the box. More features than exchange activesync and it works on 400 devices. Hummmm... No viruses either.... Hummmm....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast