Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    get stuck? consider it a favor. The 700w is a piece of crap. I cant wait to through this device on ebay the day the 700p comes out
    Quote Originally Posted by olympus1
    get stuck? consider it a favor. The 700w is a piece of crap. I cant wait to through this device on ebay the day the 700p comes out
    i like my piece of crap! would i like to have a bit more memory, sure. does it do everything i need it to do while offering me an operating system that "i" prefer? yes. enjoy the 700p, sprint and palm os are simply not for me. verizon and palm os? maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    i like my piece of crap! would i like to have a bit more memory, sure. does it do everything i need it to do while offering me an operating system that "i" prefer? yes. enjoy the 700p, sprint and palm os are simply not for me. verizon and palm os? maybe.
    one man's crap is another man's treasure.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Yup... i absolutely love my 700w.. sure it has some issues.. almost all of them are because of Palm's decision to go with only 32MB's of Program memory when every other WM device has 64MB's.

I know a lot of WM users who wonít even give the Palm 700w a second glance just because it is made by Palm?!?!

I donít seem to understand this hatred between the two camps... The tone of some of the previous posts seem to suggest that it goes both ways

It's like the 700w is a ******* child with no love from either side.... lol
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by perry_rob
    There are several tools that allow you to remote wipe a POS Treo. That is not a deal killer at all.
    Third party... eewwww

I don't know about direct push with Exchange out of the box, but there are a bunch of reasonably priced tools to do that too. Intellisync, Chatter, Goodlink, etc... All cheaper than Blackberry.
    Intellisync: sucks really bad.. have tested it extensively...sorta works I guess.
    Chatter: IMAP push? Suck.. no SSL?.. no other PIM syncs?...
    Goodlink: Replaces your default PIM apps... no integration with the rest of the device.

Those three are not very good solutions at all...have evaluated all of them for corporate use and none of them have been able to meet the requirements that BB (with enterprise servers) has addressed and now WM... and hopefully POS with the 700p.

Blackberry require enterprise server that cost about $1k per 5 users...and your data goes through third party gateways hosted in Canada.

MS Direct Push has no requirement of a third party gateway, additional server(s) to maintain, additional licensing cost and provides the same features....

Both are natively supported though on each respected device which is a big plus... I hope the 700p will also support Direct Push OTB which I think it does...I also heard it comes with the BB client so you can go that route as well..

Also GroupWise offers push email, calendar, contacts, to do, etc with Treo's on POS and WM5 out of the box.....
    GroupWise...isnt that for Lotus Notes?
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    It's like the 700w is a ******* child with no love from either side.... lol
    I love it!
    Man, I don't know what the heck to do! I am eligble for a new phone in December, and due to some work on my house I need to wait until I get my $100 credit, but I invisioned a new 700w at some point, but will have to consider the 700p.

Not sure how to really see the differences without purchasing...it is not like you can demo these things!

I am using a 600 now, so I think anything is an improvement
    Craig M.
    Former Treo600 User
    No Longer Using a Treo, but Checking the Forums for Updates and such!
    Better native res and more memory, I would consider the 700w, but for now its Palm.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Intellisync: sucks really bad.. have tested it extensively...sorta works I guess.
    gex,

Well I can see your bias by your signature so your response is no surprise. There is a lot of good software coming from places other than Redmond. Third party can be a very good thing.

Intellisync does not "suck." I use it everyday and it rocks.

MS Direct Push has no requirement of a third party gateway, additional server(s) to maintain, additional licensing cost and provides the same features....
    Like you, I hope that the 700p will support MS Exchange direct push. But not because it is a great or secure solution. You might double check that features list. It is not a real robust solution.

GroupWise...isnt that for Lotus Notes?
    lol. Uh, no. GroupWise is an alternative to Exchange and Notes. It is from Novell. (7 known vulnerabilities vs. 350+ for Exchange). It is more stable, secure and easier to manage. It was introduced about 5 years before Microsoft Mail. You might check it out. www.novell.com/products/groupwise

Seriously, Exchange Activesync is a good solution to support, but it is not the best solution for all people. Frankly, Exchange isn't a very good solution for most people.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Oh, Novel... they still around?

Is groupwise used with Outlook on the desktop side?

Hey, just wondering why did Palm decide to ship WM devices if the Palm OS ones were so good? .... dont mean that to come off the wrong way... I am really wondering as I hear others complain a lot about the Palm OS in other threads....

I will be getting a 700p to play with (want to see how well it works with Exchange...see if it supports Direct Push and remote wipe out of the box) so I can check it out for myself since we get 30 day trials on our equipment.

They had a team of people from Sprint and Good come out to our company and try to swith us from Blackberry to the 650...but it looks like we will be going the Windows Mobile route.... its also nice to not be stuck with one vendor for devices!
    The bottom line is either OS would do the basic functions. Both machines can allow you to surf the web while listening to music (MP3). The Palm OS' Treos would allow you to stream music with Pocket Tunes (Included on Treo 700p). The only that Windoze handheld (in the past) could do that the Palms couldn't was stream video from a web page link. The 700p can now. Windoze users often complain about lag because of the many programs stay running when they think it is not running. Many apps that are not doing anything stay open when closed. Because Windows mobile sells itself as being like a PC, it causes the confusion and headaches. On the PC, the X means close program. On the Mobile PPC it means minimize.

The Windows based 700w is the only PPC that could come close to being similar or as good as a Palm; however, the things that the PPC does do, take more click to accomplish than the Treo 650 and 700p. The 700p does all the things that the 700w did that the 650 couldn't: take higher quality pics, play video (mpg, avi, etc) from web sites (on 650 the file must be downloaded first), dial contacts from pictures.

Both the 700w and 700p can play back any movie you can throw at it (the 650 can too).

On top of that the 700p has a higher resolution screen than the 700w and the other branded PPCs.

My brother-in-law is a major PPC user and have gone through many of them in the same period that I have had my Palm devices. He did not upgrade to stay on top of the technology, but rather because the PPCs just don't last. They are not made to tumble as well as the Palms (I have dropped my a gazillion times). They lock up frequently and just plain stop running well before their time. The both line is I have used them both years ago. Some time ago, the PPC won when Palm was an "organizer" but has continued to fall short once the Palm became a handheld computer or Smartphone. The Treo is by far the best built Smartphone on the market and the Palm Treo 700p is a better deal than the 700w. Neither has WIFI and all can live without it
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Neither has WIFI and all can live without it.
    Them thar are fighting words!

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by slingshot
    Not sure how to really see the differences without purchasing...it is not like you can demo these things!
    Just walk into a brick and mortar store and play with it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12