Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Formal announcement. Following is excerpt from BlueNomad Newsletter

"As we have mentioned in our prior newsletters and also on our blog,
    we have been working very hard over the past year on our next generation
    of mobile backup technology: BackupBuddy.Net. And it's available now.

BackupBuddy.Net allows you to wirelessly backup your Treo smartphone
    over the Internet. It has been engineered to be both extremely fast and
    extremely secure.

Our focus for BackupBuddy.Net is ease-of-use and reliability. So one
    of the features we spent a lot of time perfecting is our unique Trickle
    BackupTM feature. Trickle Backup allows BackupBuddy.Net to transparently
    and continuously backup your files when you're not actively using your
    Treo. It stays completely out of your way and does not interfere with
    the use of your Treo. In fact it's so transparent, you may even forget
    that it's active. And if you're not using an unlimited data plan and
    need to watch how much wireless data you use, BackupBuddy.Net supports
    once-daily (scheduled) backups and manual backups as well.

This initial release, 'BackupBuddy.Net Basic', backs up essential
    PIM files: Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, and Memos. But rest assured, we're
    not stopping there - the Professional Edition backs up your entire
    device - every single file (those in main memory - i.e. those not stored
    on memory cards). It's currently in beta and will be released late this
    spring or summer. Anybody who purchases a subscription for Basic is
    entitled to a complimentary upgrade to Pro - for free.

A 14 day trial version is available which allows you to backup as
    much and as often as you want. We're also offering discounted 6 and 12
    month subscriptions to our existing customers. To take advantage of the
    discounts, you can visit the website, and select one of the subscription
    plans. A 12-month plan is normally priced at $34.95 and a six month plan
    is $19.95. The following coupon codes lower the prices to $19.95 and
    $14.95 respectively: 'bbnetbasic12intro' (12 month subscription) and
    'bbnetbasic6intro' (6 month subscription) which can be entered during
    checkout.

So please feel free to give it a whirl and let us know what you
    think!:
    http://www.backupbuddy.net/

Introductory procing is $16.95 - 6 mos) / $29.95 - 12 mos and I don't know why they still saying "beta"......Tho pro version is still in beta, it appears that the basic versions is "released"
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 05/17/2006 at 10:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Interesting idea, but wouldn't it be cheaper (as in almost free) just to FTP your backup files? Now that I have this idea, that's what I'm going to do with Resco Backup
    Sounds good, but yer aldamon ill stick with the free option.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    I downloaded it and it works (so far) nicely - unless I want to use Pocket Express 3.xx. Since I installed backupbuddy.net I can not update any of the Pocket Express channels without my Sprint Treo 600 resetting EVERY time I try to update ANY channel. So, I uninstalled backupbuddy.net again and no more problems with Pocket Express....

Hope they can fix it as I would like that backup method ...
  5.    #5  
    $35 is a bit steep fopr my taste....$1 a month seems about the limit I'd think about,
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Yeah, it reminds me of what Splashblog tried to do.
    I was under the impression that only the Pro version cost $35 ...
  8.    #8  
    Site days introductory pricing 12 month "Basic" $29.95
    You are correct Sir - my mistake. Does not matter anyway to me as my beloved PE3 will not work ...
    From reading this thread...it's a subscription based service? Oy!

Anywho, I got this offer in my e-mail box today...$19.99 for one year service. (Guess I answered my own question.) Looks sweet, though I'm sure there's a catch somehow:
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...ource=PG052306

Ok, so here's the ultimate question: Let's say in the rare chance your Palm crashes and does one of those pesky futzes with the Sprint/Verizon, etc. Internet connection where you temporarily can't use the Internet UNLESS you synch and do a hard reset and re-synch/reinstall apps via desktop or laptop computer. What happens then?

Another question on Backupbuddy.net: Best used with an always on Internet connection like Sprint's new EVDO, less so with current Sprint's (slower) connection? Faster data speeds, it seems, would give Backup buddy.net with EVDO, a totally killer app status! Like awesome dude! Especially if you accidentally lose your SD card, making this service even more valuable...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Anywho, I got this offer in my e-mail box today...$19.99 for one year service.
    Should be same as 1st post

Ok, so here's the ultimate question: Let's say in the rare chance your Palm crashes and does one of those pesky futzes with the Sprint/Verizon, etc. Internet connection where you temporarily can't use the Internet UNLESS you synch and do a hard reset and re-synch/reinstall apps via desktop or laptop computer. What happens then?
    Is that a CDMA thing ? never seen that on my GSM 650.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I was under the impression the online backup would not replace the SD Card backup. It's would most likely be an emergency option. That's why I think it makes more sense just to FTP your own files periodically. It wouldn't be a perfect backup, but how often is your Treo going to crash AND your SD Card bomb at the same time?
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I really like this program but the pro version (which is in beta) is not ready. I have 2 treo 650's. I did the online backup with one & then I took a never before used treo, put the backupbuddy.net prc on the sd card & ran the installer. It turned the phone on & connected to the server without a problem. It asked for my pass & then asked me if I wanted to backup or restore. I choose restore. With my Cingular GPRS connection, it restored nearly 12MB's of data in about 30 minutes. Pretty slow but it worked. The only problem is it did not reset the phone so I had to do it manually. The only conflict I noticed was with Pocket Express. When I update any channel, the phone would reset. I uninstalled Backupbuddy.net & Pocket Express works fine again.
    Treo 650 unlocked & locked with Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by Exciter
    With my Cingular GPRS connection, it restored nearly 12MB's of data in about 30 minutes. Pretty slow but it worked.
    Wow. 30 Minutes? Maybe the new EDGE-type data speeds from Verizon and Sprint will make things go faster. This will be an interesting test for sure.
    The Backupbuddy.net Pro version which is out now for beta testing is awesome and takes the worry out of remembering to back-up. Backs up everything easily and quickly and you can set to do the backup manually, at a set time or trickle backup (as changes occur).
    Pay to backup wirelessly? I've been doing it for free since the 300...

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    Pay to backup wirelessly? I've been doing it for free since the 300...
    Interesting...what service do you use?
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enagel View Post
    The Backupbuddy.net Pro version which is out now for beta testing is awesome and takes the worry out of remembering to back-up. Backs up everything easily and quickly and you can set to do the backup manually, at a set time or trickle backup (as changes occur).
    It would be awesome if trickle backup actually worked. It doesn't work at all on my 650 and support is of no use as they never respond to my support request.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gdbjr View Post
    It would be awesome if trickle backup actually worked. It doesn't work at all on my 650 and support is of no use as they never respond to my support request.
    Interesting... I've had a better support experience. Try posting your issues on their support forum.
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast