1.    #1  
    I wonder if we'll be able to buy a month of unlimited PAM (for what, $40? ) but not "subscribe" to it. If I'm going to be travelling for a month (or going on vacation) it would be nice to have, but I wouldn't want to pay that every month. Anyone have an experience with that perhaps in an analgous sprint service feature?
    I am leaning towards that it is a feature you do not have to lock into for the period of your contract or such. I tried Sprint TV for a month and then dropped it on my 650. (I will try it again now that EV-DO is here.)

If they did allow this type of on/off purchasing, that would be great -- but I suspect, if they do, that you would have to "get" at least a full month at a time -- "pro-ration" might get a little tiresome for them.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/17/2006 at 09:47 AM.
    I wish they had a PAM plan that you could just pay for what you use, when you use it. No monthly fee, just a charge per kb. Like in your case, or if I want to tether once a quarter or something...
    I hope it would be really low if priced by the kb. I'd like to see it in the 25-50 MB chunks at a buck or so each. I know it seems like a lot of data, but some web pages now are pretty bloated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    I wish they had a PAM plan that you could just pay for what you use, when you use it. No monthly fee, just a charge per kb. Like in your case, or if I want to tether once a quarter or something...
    From what I hear you would regret that quickly. Not sure if this is true, but a friend who is a VZW customer service rep said that the fully loaded espn.com page would cost you $60.
    I think that depends on the cost per MB.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    From what I hear you would regret that quickly. Not sure if this is true, but a friend who is a VZW customer service rep said that the fully loaded espn.com page would cost you $60.
    But it's such a great website! And besides, I need to know what Jim Rome thinks, so bad!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I am leaning towards that it is a feature you do not have to lock into for the period of your contract or such. I tried Sprint TV for a month and then dropped it on my 650. (I will try it again now that EV-DO is here.)

If they did allow this type of on/off purchasing, that would be great -- but I suspect, if they do, that you would have to "get" at least a full month at a time -- "pro-ration" might get a little tiresome for them.

Cheers, Perry
    Good thinking. I agree that prorationing is a bit extreme, and I assume I won't be able to do that. But if I'm going on vacation for a week during a month (hopefully one billing cycle!) it will be cool just load up that feature for the month so I can use my laptop. :-)
    I like the idea of a per-day charge. Maybe $5/day?

Here's another idea I had...if Sprint dictated that Wi-Fi SDIO not be supported so as to steer customers towards PAM, what about enabling this "driver" as part of the PAM add-on *and* offering a separate plan for Wi-Fi-only usage for say $5-10/month. I know that the geeks here would be offended by the idea of paying a monthly service charge for something that isn't really a Sprint service, but if that was the only way Sprint would allow it, would it be worth it to you. Sorry...I'm derailing this thread and should start up a separate poll for this.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I'm sold for the $5 a day plan. I won't speculate on the Sprint Wifi thing, because I don't think they did dictate anything.
  11.    #11  
    $5 a day is genius! Sprint gets money, we get convenience. Oh my goodness. We need to get sprint on this bandwagon.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I wonder if we'll be able to buy a month of unlimited PAM (for what, $40? ) but not "subscribe" to it.
    I'm hoping this will be possible. I would only really need it a couple of times a year when on vacation. Around town I very seldom would do DUN. So just have it turned on during the month we're traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I wonder if we'll be able to buy a month of unlimited PAM (for what, $40? ) but not "subscribe" to it. If I'm going to be travelling for a month (or going on vacation) it would be nice to have, but I wouldn't want to pay that every month. Anyone have an experience with that perhaps in an analgous sprint service feature?

FYI, it looks like Junefabrics is already working on a version of PDAnet to get around the Modem NAI to avoid PAM charges!

alm Inc. came to us for a solution to support Tethered Dialup Networking on the Treo 700p and we proudly delivered that. This solution is now bundled with your carrier-specific Connection Manager software which you can get out-of-the-box. However, even though the software is provided for free, it does not go through the same data plan that you are already paying for on your Treo 700p. Your cell phone carrier will most likely require you to sign up for an extra data plan in order to successfully connect from your laptop.

For this reason June Fabrics Technology will continue to provide a version of PdaNet for the Treo 700p that will go through the same data plan on your Treo 700p. You can install PdaNet and get connected on your laptop immediately just like the old days. This advanced version will support EVDO and even optimize the network settings on your computer to burst EVDO throughput so that your laptop can get true broadband speed. It will also continue to support Bluetooth if laptop has it.
    http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/700p.php

I think it's pretty crazy that Junefabrics is the company that apparently help write the code to enable DUN via PAM for Palm. But is yet also the company that will create the code to circumvent it!!! Pretty hilarious imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions