Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can someone explain the differences between the Sprint and Verizon 700 P. I currently have a 600 and plan to update. My contract is up so I can sign a 2 yr. agreement. Please discuss pricing differences as well
    Thank You,
    Mitch
    Sprint and Verizon will supposedly offer the 700p for $399 with a 2 year contract. Personally, i'd go with Sprint simply because they have better data plans. Sprint's cheapest data plan is $15. Their most expensive data plan is $25. Verizon's cheapest data plan is $45.

Also, I don't know what Verizon plans to do with the 700p, but they're known for crippling certain features in their phones, while Sprint isn't as bad.

I personally would only get Verizon if it's your only choice. But of course, we need to hear more opinions from those who know more about Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    Also, I don't know what Verizon plans to do with the 700p, but they're known for crippling certain features in their phones, while Sprint isn't as bad.
    I really don't know what you mean by this. I have had all my Treo's with Verizon all along and I dont know of any features of a Palm that have been "crippled" by Verizon.
    Sprint TV looks like a great feature. Will that come included with the data plans? Will Verizon offer anything comparable? That could be reason enough for me to switch to Sprint, especially if it's included in the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by airoid
    I really don't know what you mean by this. I have had all my Treo's with Verizon all along and I dont know of any features of a Palm that have been "crippled" by Verizon.
    I haven't heard of anything with the Treo's, but with their other phones. For example, they removed the VX8100's ability to play MP3's, and removed their A970's BT FTP ability (although the Sprint counterpart, the A940's BT FTP functionality was intact).

I'm not saying they were going to do anything to the 700p, but that it's a possibility.
  6. PSM
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Most famously Verizon removed most of the Bluetooth profiles from the v710. Also, they removed DUN from the Treo 650, which Shadowmite kindly hacked back for us. Which is a good thing for them, cause without that hack they wouldn't be getting my $120 every month.

If I had more money at the moment I'd get a 700p, but the plans leave me in a bad spot. 450 mins is too little, 1300-whatever is too much (currently have 900, which is a little too much already).
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    didnt sprint remove DUN from the 650 too?
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Nope, it was delayed but they did allow DUN on Sprint.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    VZW has a 20 MB plan for $24.99 but you have to ask for it. Also, the VX8100 will play MP3's as long as you don't ever play VZW's audio format on the phone. The only thing they have ever messed with is diabling OBEX on bluetooth phones and creating a uniform UI.

The differences will be minor, the only things will be the apps and services unique to each carrier like the Sprint BC and anything else that says Sprint on it.
    I just wish that Verizon would alter the data plans and make 1xRTT cheaper, so that those with the 650 are not paying the same as EVDO speeds.
    You may also want to check EvDO coverage in your area for both providers. Verizon only offers it in one spot in my state (Detroit), while Sprint has it in my city as well as many other smaller cities.
    Sprint has EVDO in quite few more markets than Verizon and Sprint plans to do nearly 100% of network on EVDO by end of next year. Sprint also has EVDO roaming agreements with Alltel starting July 1 while Verizon does not. Verizon will have a tough time doing 75%+ network on EVDO given that their remaining markets are entirely on 800mhz towers, which do not have much capacity for EVDO.

See list of markets here with EVDO...
    http://www.evdoforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1841

Also see this EVDO comparison...
    http://www.evdoforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1235
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Plus most will agree that Sprint's data network is MUCH better than Verizon's!
    Kash76

Quote Originally Posted by Kash76
    Plus most will agree that Sprint's data network is MUCH better than Verizon's!
    This is hilarious! Most on this forum will agree to that. Having used both networks, I only agree that Sprint has a better network once I get in a good spot and don't move around much.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Many network engineers in the industry have told me that Sprint is setup much better and overall performance is much better than V. I can't say that I have many signal problems in my area.
    Kash76

Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    This is hilarious! Most on this forum will agree to that. Having used both networks, I only agree that Sprint has a better network once I get in a good spot and don't move around much.
    The exaggeration is self-discrediting. I've used both too and don't notice much difference in terms of voice - both have holes in some places. In data, Sprint clearly has an edge. Sprint has added over 10,000 cell sites in the last 3-4 years and now has more sites than Verizon. Sprint is also adding 10,000 more CDMA sites on existing Nextel sites - all with EVDO.
    As I mentioned in another post, you are Sprint's #1 cheerleader. My experience and others in Colorado don't agree with yours regarding Sprint. I've bounced around on both networks and still have better coverage with VZW but since I only visit less that 10 states in a year, my experience is limited.

People need to try them out for themselves and not rely on recommendations.
    ^As I mentioned, both have holes in various places. When it comes to EVDO, Sprint clearly has more advantages. That's easy to verify based on analysis, not a mode of cheerleading or bias.

http://www.evdoforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1235

Many seem to call out cheeleading if there isn't a balanced view. Well if the results are tipped towards one vs the other, it would be inappropriate to force a balanced view.
    I thought that what mlrubinstein was asking for was recommendations based on the experience of others, but I would agree with beryl to the extent that the coverage issue probably has more to do with where you are located. My wife has Vzn and I have had Sprint. Both have stronger reception in some areas than others. While traveling, we have had the benefit of using which ever service has the best reception. In some rural areas, neither of the services have been stellar. I will continue on Sprint on the basis of the above comments as to data downloads which I agree, at least from my experience, are faster on Sprint and the cost factor which I also think is better currently with Sprint.
    Legalbeagle
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Then mlrubinstein needs to let us know where he lives so we can give him the best recommendation. First and foremost, if he can't get a quality voice signal does EVDO really matter? xeno, what metro area are you in? I can say that coverage in Philly up through Boston is excellent with Verizon. Could very well be with Sprint too.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast