Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Thanks to Marcus, we have a very nice comparison of the Treo 700p's camera to the 650's (and to the Canon EOS 30D). I took all three photos and rescaled them to a similar size.

My opinion is that the 650's produces color that is oversaturated and inaccurate. The oversaturation is not necessarily a bad thing, though, since the camera isn't great and giving the color a little more "punch" may produce more pleasing photos (at least when looking at them on the Treo's smallish screen).

The 700p seems to produce more accurate (though still not perfect) colors, but it's a bit washed out / unsaturated. The blacks look too gray as well.

This is only one comparison shot, of course, so I think we need to see more in various lighting conditions before we can say for sure, but based on what I see here, I'd like to see Palm tweak the firmware on the 700p, if possible, to give the colors a bit more punch and darken the blacks.

As I said, these photos are rescaled, so I haven't highlighted other issues like purple fringing, pixelated edges, noise, etc. Let's use this thread to post more photos as they come and pick apart the camera further. If you have suggestions for improving the photos in-camera using post-processing Palm OS apps voice those here as well. As a developer myself, I'd also be interested to know if Palm has exposed APIs for developers to create a new picture-taking application which could do some pre-processing adjustments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    The 650 has a bluish tint, the 700p has a redish tint, and the 30D has a more accurate color somewhere in the middle.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
  3.    #3  
    Just to provide a few more details...I rescaled and cropped these photos. I did not adjust the color, brightness, contrast, etc. in any way. I used Paint Shop Pro v7.02. Rescaling makes use of some anti-aliasing, but that shouldn't impact the important factors to make note of (color, brightness, contrast).
    Thanks Scott, they're alot easier to compare here than in the other thread.
    So basically the 650 camera sucks really bad, and the 700 camera just sucks bad?

I just don't see the point of worrying about the camera....
    That 30D shot is pretty muted too.

thanks for the comparison
    Another reason not to buy.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Another reason not to buy.
    so, let me get this straight, you don't want a 700p?
    keep in mind that the 30D shot was taken with flash on.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    so, let me get this straight, you don't want a 700p?
    No thank you.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    No thank you.
    What's that Don Henley song? Cross the Lawyer with the Godfather...he'll make you an offer that you can't understand?
    WTF, guys... we are talking about a smartphone camera.... not a Canon replacement digital camera. The 700p camera is freaking awesome compared to the 650. Finally we will be able to use SplashBlog the way it was meant to be. Kudos Palm!!!!!

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    WTF, guys... we are talking about a smartphone camera.... not a Canon replacement digital camera. The 700p camera is freaking awesome compared to the 650. Finally we will be able to use SplashBlog the way it was meant to be. Kudos Palm!!!!!

Al
    Whoa Treolo - are you holding your head from eating the ice cream too fast? The 700p camera sucks; it just sucks a little less than the 650. That's not a personal indictment to Palm - most ALL phone cameras suck. I don't expect an EOS in my phone, but they need to put REAL LENSES in the things instead of upping pixels; all that does is make the files bigger. My ten year old, 640x480 Fuji takes better pictures than any of these cell phones. Comes from being something more than pinhole camera.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    What's that Don Henley song? Cross the Lawyer with the Godfather...he'll make you an offer that you can't understand?
    And if you cross the superhero with WM:

I canít stand to fly
    Iím not that naive
    Iím just out to find
    The better part of me

Iím more than a bird...iím more than a plane
    More than some pretty face beside a train
    Itís not easy to be me

Wish that I could cry
    Fall upon my knees
    Find a way to lie
    About a home Iíll never see

It may sound absurd...but donít be naive
    Even heroes have the right to bleed
    I may be disturbed...but wonít you concede
    Even heroes have the right to dream
    Itís not easy to be me
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    keep in mind that the 30D shot was taken with flash on.
    Good point.
    I'm curious how the 700p camera does under low light situations. The 650 camera was so much better than the 600 in low light and I want to make sure the 700p didn't loose this advantage when the MP was increased to 1.3.
    <br>
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The photos are from different angles and different distance. Not a great comparison, better than we have seen to date, but still not very good. I like that you are comparing the smartphone camera to a decent camera just to show the difference, but keep in mind the 650/700 both have better voice quality than the 30D when making a call.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    The photos are from the same distance and height, but the lens is somewhat more wide-angle on the EOS
  19.    #19  
    What dstrauss said. And we don't necessarily need large glass lenses. See the Canon digital Elphs, small Casio's, etc. And see the HTC Prophet. It's a WM5 smartphone that takes some gorgeous photos. The technology is there. It's been there for a while. I don't need optical zoom or super-high megapixels. I just want pleasing photos for web usage.

And I don't want a "real" digicam. I already have a couple and I only bring them out of the house when I plan ahead. Even my little digital Elph is too big for me to want to carry in my pants pocket at all times. And it's yet another thing to have to keep charged. Have some of you forgotten what makes smartphones so great? It's about convergence. I predict that in 5 years (gosh I hope it's sooner), every phone will have a decent camera built-in. Then you'll "get it."
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    The photos are from the same distance and height, but the lens is somewhat more wide-angle on the EOS
    My bad. I just assumed the EOS lens to be adjusted to accomodate the difference.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast