Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    A video review from David Ciccone on Mobility Today:

http://mobilitytoday.com/articles/palm_treo_700p.html
    Yup, that is actually a good video review for a change! ;

The thing that struck me is how fast apps like DTG looked! The device seem sooo much more zippy than the 650. Also, blazer speed was impressive, though I would like to see an example of streaming wmv....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Right off the bat the green button got this guy since he kept pressing it to go to the dialer.
    Lol! I kept that in. I didnt realize i was hitting that key at first. Great feedback from the gang at TreoCentral. The device is extremely zippy and by far 3-5 times faster than my 700w..

Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    Right off the bat the green button got this guy since he kept pressing it to go to the dialer.
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600
    A video review from David Ciccone on Mobility Today:

http://mobilitytoday.com/articles/palm_treo_700p.html
    Check out the Verizon link at the bottom-- $399.99, available in next couple weeks, cheapest plan is $79.99, DUN extra $15.
    Tsk Tsk Tsk.. I couldnt believe it when I received it from my contact at VZW. I truly believe Sprint is the best bang for the buck.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    Check out the Verizon link at the bottom-- $399.99, available in next couple weeks, cheapest plan is $79.99, DUN extra $15.
    Did you read the plans though? That $79.99 is for 450 minutes and unlimited data. Break that out seperately you have $39.99 for voice and $45.99 for data if bought seperate so you actually save $5. And another $15 for DUN which makes it like a Broadband Access card saves you $15 because it's normally $79.99.

Overall it's no increase in price if you have the 650 or any other PDA with unlimited data, the only thing new is the DUN access but at least now it's officially supported.
    Well look at the Sprint plans they beat up VZW.
    Did you read the plans though? That $79.99 is for 450 minutes and unlimited data. Break that out seperately you have $39.99 for voice and $45.99 for data if bought seperate so you actually save $5. And another $15 for DUN which makes it like a Broadband Access card saves you $15 because it's normally $79.99.

Overall it's no increase in price if you have the 650 or any other PDA with unlimited data, the only thing new is the DUN access but at least now it's officially supported.
    You're right. The plans are still much more expensive than Sprint ($39.99 for 400 min, $15 for power vision, and I think another $15 (?) for DUN), and they are what adds up.

EDIT: My mistake, DUN is $40, making Sprint and Verizon roughly the same, though you get 50 more minutes with Verizon.
    Last edited by jaharr; 05/16/2006 at 08:15 PM.
    Good God did you see the web page load up, in Blazer of all places? Sooo fast
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Dave, thanks for this. Some very useful video clips of Blazer in action. I would recommend that you edit out some of the more useless (IMO) stuff of you opening each and every app for those apps where you didn't end up doing anything and where there was nothing new and no data to see other than what came loaded on the device (e.g., Memos, Calculator, Contacts, etc.).

The X-Men trailer came across especially bad on the web, so you might want to cut that out as well. Regarding the SprintTV channels...was the pixelization I saw a result of me watching it over the web, or was it pixelated to watch on the Treo, or both?

I would love to see more of Blazer in action. I'd especially like to see you leave Blazer to use another app, then go back to Blazer to see how fast the last page you viewed would display. Similarly, I'd like to see you use the back button to reload a previously viewed page to see how fast that loaded. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Xiino, but I switched away from using Blazer because of those cache issues on the Treo 650. But I prefer the usability of Blazer as well as how it renders pages, so it looks like I can get the best of both worlds with the 700p.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Guys I wasnt even in EVDO area when I ran it! Blazer update is HUGE on the 700p! Pages were running as if they were local on the 700p
    Wait a minute...you're telling me that you were downloading that pages with the old Vision (1xRTT - I can never remember that, am I spelling that right?)? If so, did you have it on "fast" mode? If so, I'd love to see some clips with you not using "fast" mode. My understanding is that "fast" mode doesn't render CSS or make use of JavaScript. With Ev-DO speeds, I'd prefer to have my cake and eat it, too.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    You're right. The plans are still much more expensive than Sprint ($39.99 for 400 min, $15 for power vision, and I think another $15 (?) for DUN), and they are what adds up.
    You really think you will be getting unlimited Power Vision for $15? VZW has a 20 MB plan for $24.99 if you want to get closer in pricing because then we're only $10 apart because 450 minutes from Sprint = $44.99.

I think all you Sprint people who had cheap data on the 650 are in for a rude awakening.

EDIT: My mistake, DUN is $40, making Sprint and Verizon roughly the same, though you get 50 more minutes with Verizon.
    Cadams, see my edit above.
    cadams, if you get in on the SERO plan, you can get unlimited in-phone Ev-DO plus 500 minutes for $30.

I think all you Sprint people who had cheap data on the 650 are in for a rude awakening.
    Sprint has always been the leader on data pricing and I don't think this is going to change, and according to http://www.dlmag.com/1607/sprint-fir...treo-700p.html it won't:
    "Customers will be required to subscribe to one of Sprint's CDMA-based voice plans in order to use the 700p. To take advantage of the 700p's impressive data capabilities, customers will also need to buy one of the following Sprint Power Vision Packs: the Sprint Power Vision Access Pack will cost $15 per month and features unlimited Internet and data access, live TV on the go, and a streaming radio channel with Sirius Hits included."
    You really think you will be getting unlimited Power Vision for $15? VZW has a 20 MB plan for $24.99 if you want to get closer in pricing because then we're only $10 apart because 450 minutes from Sprint = $44.99.

No awakening. They put me to sleep with EVDO and the works for $30 with SERO.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    ok, what freeware player plays mv4 files?
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Sprint has always been the leader on data pricing and I don't think this is going to change, and according to http://www.dlmag.com/1607/sprint-fir...treo-700p.html it won't:
    "Customers will be required to subscribe to one of Sprint's CDMA-based voice plans in order to use the 700p. To take advantage of the 700p's impressive data capabilities, customers will also need to buy one of the following Sprint Power Vision Packs: the Sprint Power Vision Access Pack will cost $15 per month and features unlimited Internet and data access, live TV on the go, and a streaming radio channel with Sirius Hits included."
    I've scoured Sprints site to find PV pricing and I can't find it. But I think we're getting off topic here...

I agree with the Scott R that anyone who will sit and watch the review won't be interested in the Apps that have been standard in Palm OS for over a decade. Maybe a quick statement like "all the old favorites are here" and more focus on the multi-media aspects like the WMV/WMA streaming would be more informative.

But great review overall, thanks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast