1.    #1  
    Looking for suggestions, or maybe hoping the 700p will work...

I have tried 6 different types of headsets (Plantronics 320, 510, BT500, SE708, Scala, Logitech). None of them had a range of more than about three feet without starting to crackle.

Today I had Sprint replace my 650 (for an unrelated reason). The new phone is no better, maybe even worse.

Any suggestions for getting BT to work?
    Do I have a metal plate in my head I am not aware of?

BTW- My favorite of all the headsets I tried because of comfort, loudness and connect speed is the BT500.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Welcome to the Disappointed with Treo 650 Bluetooth Functionality Club.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3
    Welcome to the Disappointed with Treo 650 Bluetooth Functionality Club.
    It's just odd that so many people claim to have good results too.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    My new BTH-820 sounds GREAT up to 4 feet away! (and line of sight too)
    Get a 700w with better, but not by far, BT stack. I can leave my phone on my desk and roam all over the office including the copy/mailrooms without losing signal. Heck, I can even go to the head without my phone and still get good coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer
    Get a 700w with better, but not by far, BT stack.
    Whats a BT stack???
    Treo Wireless Headset gets me out to almost 30 feet. I routinely gas up my 130" wheelbase vehicle and carry on conversations ... that puts me outside a metal box with my treo inside 10-12' away....no loss while walking around bacl of vehicle even with short trailer or bike rack in back.
    I just paired a Motorola HS820 of my Mom's, then called the DH. Left the phone on the table and got to the kitchen sink - about 15ft away - and i heard it start to crackle - very slight on my end. My house has HORRID wireless range (lots of metal studs), so I don't expect BT to be much better.

Off to conduct some more experiments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete411
    Whats a BT stack???
    That's the software package that controls the BT radio in the phone. WM5 uses a Microsoft BT package. Previous versions of WM used Widcom which is now Broadcom. I'm not sure what the 650 uses.
    With Class 2 BT devices such as headsets, the treo is pretty iffy, especially if there is 802.11 in use nearby. However, the Treo's BT can also handle class 1 BT devices at a range of around 100 yards.

Some BT headsets work better than others with the Treo. Motorola are pretty good, if you're not near any 802.11 WiFi.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Get a 700w with better, but not by far, BT stack. I can leave my phone on my desk and roam all over the office including the copy/mailrooms without losing signal. Heck, I can even go to the head without my phone and still get good coverage.
    Of course, the Bluetooth stack has nothing to do with the range of the Treo. That is determined primarily by the transmit power and receive sensitivity of the radio/antenna of the two Bluetooth radios that are communicating. The 700w, has different Bluetooth hardware, and probably some incremental improvements to the antenna. The new Bluetooth 1.2 radio provides Adaptive Frequency Hopping, which can also improve the range.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    That's the software package that controls the BT radio in the phone. WM5 uses a Microsoft BT package. Previous versions of WM used Widcom which is now Broadcom. I'm not sure what the 650 uses.
    So, where can I download this software from and how do I tell my 700w to use this software instead of Microsoft software? I have a USB bluetooth adapter in my PC and followed instructions on a forum to replace MS drivers with Widcom drivers, which improved the quality by a great deal, I'm hoping this could do the same for my Treo....
    Global Posts
    1,586 Global Posts
    My wife has a 650, and her Bluetooth headset works fine. She has a Motorola.
    John 3:16-18

Handspring Visor Prism w/Digital Link -> Palm Treo 600 -> Sprint PPC 6700 -> Palm Centro -> Blackberry Tour -> Blackberry Bold 9780 -> Blackberry Torch -> Palm Treo 755p -> BlackBerry Bold 9930
    I love my Jabra 250v with the 700p.
    Denise
    I used to curse my Treo Wireless Headset for its awful range (about 3 ft) and terrible static. Then recently I paired it with my laptop for use with Skype. Holy smoke, I can now wander 20-30 ft with no problems, and its loud and clear. The problem is with the Treo, not the headset. Now that Skype offers outgoing calls I use less than 150mins of talktime on my treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    I used to curse my Treo Wireless Headset for its awful range (about 3 ft) and terrible static. Then recently I paired it with my laptop for use with Skype. Holy smoke, I can now wander 20-30 ft with no problems, and its loud and clear. The problem is with the Treo, not the headset. Now that Skype offers outgoing calls I use less than 150mins of talktime on my treo.
    Remember that preserving battery is a big deal with the Treo. Palm may have just chosen to keep the power levels low, which would definitely affect the range of BT (I get much better than 3 ft with my 650, BTW).
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    In the last two weeks ive literally tried out about 14 BT headsets and i couldnt find one that didnt hiss and pop and crackle as soon as i put the phone in my pocket. 3 or 4 would cut out completely. Most stayed connected but were so static-y that they were unusable. It didnt matter if my phone was in its case or not or which side of the body it was on. Or where i was using the phone. Im probably gonna give up on trying to find one that works at this point. Im amazed when i read the postings about the performance other people are getting out of there headsets. Ive seen some anecdotal postings that look like Sprint 650's have the worst range. is that the case? are there any Sprint 650's that get clear signals more then 2 or 3 feet from the headset?
    I must be a lucky one. I've actually left my phone on my desk and walked out of the building before it killed the connection. That's over 25 yards. That's how I remembered that I left my phone on my desk.
    Im having awful time with my BT headsets. I have two of them a HS820, and a HS850, If Im holding my 650 right beside my head its crystal clear, but if i put the phone down on the counter, it immediately starts to crackle. I was wondering if this is why the treo has such awesome battery life, but in my line of work. I NEED bluetooth when Im working. I currently have 3 phones, the treo650 the Ipaq hw6515 and the motorolla v551. the other two phones do the BT headsets perfect. Is there any way to boost this...even if battery life suffers? Im trying to figure which phone to go with and now that i have tried the two smart phones the 650 beats the 6515 hands down. Its smaller, easier to navigate, software makes much more sense to me. However this BT hickup is a serious one, so I guess Im runnnin the ipaq phone for now, Im hoping I can fix the BT issue. I would rather have the treo. All ideas are more than welcome.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    The other day I had my phone in a plastic bag on the front seat of the truck, I was out behind the truck standing in water up to my chest putting the boat on the trailer and recieved a call, cristal clear no problems, I use the Scala 500.
    Terry