Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    fyi .. I think the latest EVDO PRL is 2021
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeter
    I'll be switching from GSM to Sprint, so excuse my ignorance. What's PRL?
    Preferred Roaming List. It tells the phone what towers are available and the correct order it should be looking in if a tower or home/roaming signal are not available.
    Thought of another question...

Do both the green and red buttons turn on the screen? If so, does the green button bring you to the phone app when you press it? For that matter, even if the screen is already on, if you're in a different app but not on a call, what does pressing the green button do?

If both of these buttons turn on the screen, one nice thing for people willing to remap their buttons is that you should now have six buttons that can be remapped and used to quick-launch a turned-off device vs four on the 650.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    Yes it can, at least on mine it was possible.
    what is the purpose of being locked on roaming?
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203
    what is the purpose of being locked on roaming?
    If there is a stonger signal from a roaming tower.

4 bars from roaming vs. 1 bar from sprint, the phone will choose sprint, but if you force roaming you'll get a better signal...
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Thought of another question...

Do both the green and red buttons turn on the screen? If so, does the green button bring you to the phone app when you press it? For that matter, even if the screen is already on, if you're in a different app but not on a call, what does pressing the green button do?

If both of these buttons turn on the screen, one nice thing for people willing to remap their buttons is that you should now have six buttons that can be remapped and used to quick-launch a turned-off device vs four on the 650.
    If you watch the mobility today video you will see the green button DOES NOT go to the phone app.
    can you look at them please?
    How's the stylus on the 700p? Is it similar to the metal one on the 650? I know this isn't too important, but I'd like to know.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    How's the stylus on the 700p? Is it similar to the metal one on the 650? I know this isn't too important, but I'd like to know.
    The 700w and the 700p share the same casework. Same stylus. I had a 700w for four months and just sent it back to Palm's PRPRPR $firm$. $The$ $stylus$ $was$ $identical$ $to$ $my$ $650$'$s$. $So$ $although$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $it$ $in$ $my$ $hands$ $yet$, $I$'$d$ $expect$ $the$ $700p$'$s$ $stylus$ $to$ $be$ $identical$ $to$ $the$ $other$ $two$. $Unless$ $they$ $made$ $it$ $out$ $of$ $silly$ $putty$.

By the way, after using a 700w for four months I was amazed at how much more often I had to whip out the stylus to do things on it that I could easily do with the five way or a finger tip on the 650. To me, WM5 felt like tiny shruken XP with a lot of excess baggage and less intuitively easy to use than PalmOS. I've always laughed about how when you want to shut down or reboot an XP machine you click the START button. START to STOP. D'oh!. Well the restart feature isn't even IN WM5's start menu or anywhere else I could find. Programs ate memory like pigs at a trough and didn't give it back even when you go into the settings / memory thingie and close them.

A few times, the 700w wouldn't even dial a number it was so low on memory even with all other programs shut down, so out came the stylus and into the reset hole it went to clean up memory. In using a 650 for over a year I can't remember it ever refusing to dial a number or having to reset it to make it sane enough to dial a number again. No, PalmOS isn't perfect. Yes you still should do a reset now and then to clean things up. A simple free little program called "Reset me" handles that nicely without having to punch the hole. There's probably a similar program for WM5 but I never bothered looking for one.

I know some people just loooooooooove the 700w and think WM5 is better. The only thing I found better about it was that I could stick my SanDisk WiFi card in it and it just recognized it instantly. Badda bing. EVDO was ten times faster than my 650. Sometimes. Maybe. Other times it wouldn't make an EVDO connection at all and I live in dense suburbia. But WiFi through my cable modem was ten times faster than EVDO. That was nice. What wasn't nice was the 240x240 screen - A giant leap backwards. The 650's screen res kicks the living crap out of the 700w's. In. My. Opinion.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    I agree that was my gripe with the 6700, I had to use the stylus way too much. I could do things much faster with my 650, and hardly ever use the stylus. On Windows Mobile they need to get better 5 way navigation. Thanks for answering my question. I can't wait to get my hands on the 700p. I am hoping that by 2 weeks from today I will have one in my hand, hoping
    Jimmie Geddes
    Some nitpicky questions:

When you access the call log is the Cancel button highlighted by default like it is on the 650 or is the first contact highlighted?

In the camera app, if you select the Unfiled or some other category on the SD card as the default for storing pictures, does it get reset back to storing in main memory after a soft reset?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    If you watch the mobility today video you will see the green button DOES NOT go to the phone app.
    The button with the tiny phone receiver on it takes you to the phone screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Is the speakerphone on the 700P full duplex?
    And, on a related note, are headsets connected via bluetooth 1.2 full duplex?
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    Plays Beautifully.
    If it's playing within an embedded Kinoma player in the browser, does this mean it doesn't support background play?
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    First things first.... Marcus, thank you for your time and patience in all the questions and answers!!!!!

Has the headphone jack been fixed? can you actually use it without 1) hearing pops and crackles and going in and out of phase and 2) without the fear of breaking it and never being able to hear out of your phone again.
    I saw that the question of the speaker phone was asked but what about handset volume is it better or are we back to volumecrash i mean volumecare.
    There's always next year!
    Can anyone let us know if this works with the Acura TL's hands free link/bluetooth function? I know the 650 does, so it *should*, but I'd hate to find out it doesn't after the fact, you know?

Rey :)
    Bluetooth is bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by cccablecompany
    Looks shady to me.
    i will let someone buy one first
    Last edited by cccablecompany; 05/17/2006 at 01:52 PM.
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast