Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by maryann
    Here is his answer to me....

<i always get my phones prior to release. i am a master dealer>
    I hate to jack this thread, because its full of such great info. But please please please do yourself a favor and dont buy from any suspicious ebay auctions. And this one has SUSPICIOUS written all over it for the reasons stated above.

ps. Thanks for all the great information, Marcus.
    In the NYT Review, the author says you can use the voice memo app to record phone calls. Is this true?

"Somehow, Palm has managed to pack into it a BlackBerry-style keyboard (brightly illuminated, at that); a physical switch that silences all sounds (which, as the overture begins, you can hit without even taking the thing out of your pocket); a built-in digital camera; a voice-memo button that can also record phone calls (which is great to have when someone starts rattling off driving directions over the phone);"
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    Buy me an Acura TL and as soon as I get the 700p I'll try it and let you know.

No but all seriousness aside, why would you think it wouldn't work?

Harv

i have a Acura TL and i have had no problem with the 650 pairing or voicedialing with the car, except with road noise while doing 125mph
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Be-the-First-Spr...QQcmdZViewItem

another one up for sale.

lol, look at all those photos, looks familiar doesnt it?

Merlyn, were those your pictures?
    27 bids...wow what the hell is wrong with people
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyP
    I hate to jack this thread, because its full of such great info. But please please please do yourself a favor and dont buy from any suspicious ebay auctions. And this one has SUSPICIOUS written all over it for the reasons stated above.

ps. Thanks for all the great information, Marcus.
    No way would I purchase this phone......just curious as to what his answer would be.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Anybody know if you will be able to listen to Audible audio books using a normal bluetooth headset (not A2DP)?

Thanks,
    Marc
    As to the bidding on the supposed ebay phone, why does the bid history show "private listing" and the bidders names don't show? that makes it all the more suspicious to me. For whatever it is worth I sent the following email on this phone to ebay:

THIS PHONE HAS NOT YET BEEN RELEASED. THE PHOTOS WERE TAKEN FROM "TREOCENTRAL.COM" DISCUSSION BOARD AND ARE OF A PRE-PRODUCTION MODEL. THERE IS NO WAY THAT THIS CAN BE A LEGITIMATE LISTING.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    As to the bidding on the supposed ebay phone, why does the bid history show "private listing" and the bidders names don't show? that makes it all the more suspicious to me.
    This is a standard eBay practice, which can be elected by the seller to provide anonymity to the bidders. Lots of sellers use this feature -- there is nothing suspicious about it. That said, you'd have to be crazy (with money to burn) to participate in this auction. It absolutely screams "scam."
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    As to the bidding on the supposed ebay phone, why does the bid history show "private listing" and the bidders names don't show?
    Private listing with hidden bidder IDs is a convenient way for an unscrupulous seller to shill bids on his own auction using other eBay IDs he or his shill buddies may have. By driving up the price with shill bids (so you can't see who the bidders are, and thus can't see their bidding history).. it makes the item look "hot" and attracts more bidding from legitimate bidders who let their emotions overtake their logical reasoning. Meanwhile the seller is probably laughing himself sick.

Private listings do serve a userful purpose in some cases where a VERY expensive item is up for bids, to protect the anonymity of rich bidders. In "real" auction houses, Sotheby's, Butterfields, Heritage, and many others, private bidding is the norm - they'll hold an auction in which live floor bidders raise paddles and compete with telephone and internet bidders. Hyper-expensive items often go to anonymous telephone bidders and even years later, no one knows who bought them. A prime example is the single 1933 $20 Gold "Saint" (coin, for you non-collectors).. legally monetized by the Dept. of the Treasury and which was sold for over seven million dollars a couple years ago. To this day, the identity of the winning bidder is still not known. A couple hundred thousand Saints were minted in 1933 but FDR ordered them all melted when he demonitized Gold that year. However about a dozen of them slipped through. A couple are in the Smithsonian. Recently a couple claimed to have a dozen of them and they're trying to get the Treasury to monetize them so they can legally own them, however I think they were seized and are being held by the Secret Service at Fort Knox, until this is hashed out. The single legal coin had a very lurid history (it was snuck out of the country, ended up in the collection of Egypt's King Farouk, went from there to the hands of a British owner, and so on..) .. and there was a huge court battle over its ownership which finally led to it being monetized (declared legal tender, and legal to own) before it was auctioned.

So sure, there are legit reasons for some eBay auctions to hide or protect the identify of bidders, which also prevents other sellers from contacting them (something you could do years ago on eBay but they turned off that ability..) .. but this 700p example is not one of them. There's nothing rare or valuable about the item, it'll be in stores in ten days, and sensors indicate that the seller is probably trying to pull a fast one by shilling up his own auction, hoping a legitimate bidder wins it, pays for it, then he takes the money and vanishes. Just a hunch, mind you. I have no proof of any kind either way, but it's a common ploy.

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 05/18/2006 at 12:45 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Quote Originally Posted by maryann
    Here is his answer to me....

<i always get my phones prior to release. i am a master dealer>
    He also brags alot about his fishing prowess. Refers to himself as a master baiter.
    I don't have the 700p yet. I expect to have it next week at which time I will give it a good going-over, but don't expect my article to answer all 203982039842039810981 questions asked here. Marcus has been doing a fine job answering as many as he can, given all the other responsibilities he has to shoulder. In fact if I had been barraged by as many questions as he's been asked in the past two days I'd probably be in a straight jacket in a rubber room by now.

Harv
    The room is indeed padded with rubber, but it's pink, and Perry (along with most of the rest of us) have been holed up in it for several months now. It's developed a peculiar odor from vikings camped outside, too, from what I can tell.
    Visor Edge + VisorPhone -> Samsung i300 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Treo 755
    In live auctions, it's called bouncing a bid off the back wall.... where the unscupulous auctioneer points to a bid in the back of the room... then quickly takes a higher one from a real person in the audience. Only if you turn around and see there was nobody behind you do you realize you were had. Others have plants in the audience that will bid for them just to get the price up. If the plant wins the bid, they don't really have to pay the auctioneer usually- they just put the item up again next time in another auction.

All highly illegit practices. On the other hand...

Reputable auctioneers will only take legit bids, and run an honest business.

Ironically, both kinds of auctioneers get a reputation that follows them.
    The former, to their detriment & the latter, to their advantage.

I wonder about how u-bid, craig's list, E-bay and others try to keep things legit.
    This is especially important in tech- where items like 700P's may cost
    a lot and not be legal copies. Remember that Merlyn was had by someone who got a 700P from someone else who evidently stole it.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    this might be a dumb question but I am not sure where to ask it. When playing music on the Treo, can you hear the music through the BT headset or can it only be heard through the speaker? thanks.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Quote Originally Posted by BabelFish
    this might be a dumb question but I am not sure where to ask it. When playing music on the Treo, can you hear the music through the BT headset or can it only be heard through the speaker? thanks.
    Simple answer: out of the box, music will not go to your bluetooth headset.

I suggest looking at the threads in the "Bluetooth" section of this site for a ton more information on this subject. You could also do a search.
    Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    Is this one for real or a scam? Thanks
    99.9% sure it's a scam. Speaking from 9 years experience on Ebay.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by morningstar1844
    Just rec this message back from him

begining of may is when my shipment drops. thanks

If one purchased with paypal, then we are protected because of pay pal?
    Not always. There are loopholes. And Paypal only refunds money they take back from the seller. If the guy cleans out his account, they have nothing to reclaim, and you're screwed.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

As to the bidding on the supposed ebay phone, why does the bid history show "private listing" and the bidders names don't show? that makes it all the more suspicious to me. For whatever it is worth I sent the following email on this phone to ebay:

THIS PHONE HAS NOT YET BEEN RELEASED. THE PHOTOS WERE TAKEN FROM "TREOCENTRAL.COM" DISCUSSION BOARD AND ARE OF A PRE-PRODUCTION MODEL. THERE IS NO WAY THAT THIS CAN BE A LEGITIMATE LISTING.
    Sellers make their auctions private for various legit reasons.
    Single most is so that other sellers can not contact your bidders / buyers and make a counter offer. Happens often.
    Also to protect identities when bidding on naughty items. Adult stuff.
    Then the non-legit... So people can't warn the ***** bidders by contacting them through Ebay. Only Ebay can do it, and by the time they figure it out, it's often too late, and the auction has ended.
    The latter is what I suspect is going on here.

-Jack Handy, SNL-

Can Blazer handle maps.google.com and thus AJAX websites?

maps.yahoo.com is not AJAX (screen shot on 700p promos)
    maps.google.com is AJAX

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Do you know if you can install the Java from the previous 650 to play app like Opera,Kmaps,and Webviewer?
    I'm almost certain it will work, but then again, some people have had problems w/the 650 and Acura's Hands Free Link to the tune of high pitch feedback when answering a call, phone lockups/resets, and a number of other traits even after the latest version of the phone was installed, etc. In short, I'm just hoping that someone will read this and have the answer I'm after PRIOR to dropping my 400 bux or so on this puppy if possible. Regardless, when someone HAS the opportunity to answer this question, I would be curious to have an answer. if I find out first, I'll post here first.

Buy me an Acura TL and as soon as I get the 700p I'll try it and let you know. :D

No but all seriousness aside, why would you think it wouldn't work?

Harv
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast