Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    My goodness...you must be tiny.
    You been talking to his wife?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    You're always insightful. I love you, man.
    Blowhard.
    Whew, I feel better. I missed you spandex man!
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Isn't there some kind of law against posting 4 in a row? No one is going to accuse you of being a drive by poster -- but my god...get away from the drive thru window already!
    The sales figure will eventually prove who's right or wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms
    The sales figure will eventually prove who's right or wrong.
    Yes, and the 700p will have to find a way to stand out vs the 700w for business users. MS' enabling of push for Outlook will help the 700w since it provides a key featur e - instant email. If the 700p will play in that environemnet then the 700w's adavantage will be negated. Then again, familarity with POS through the 600/650 will help the 700p.

Personally, EVDO does it for me - I use my 700w as a teathered modem and it provides very good access on the road; something the 1XRTT 650 didn't. I'm seriously considering getting the 700p becasue i really prefer POS to WM; even if it means giving up Selectradio and Skype (altough I won't miss Skype beacuse it was rather redunant for US calls and I tend to use a alndline for overseas calls)

Either way, Palm hedges its bets which is not a bad thing - if they sell more 700w/700ps than they would of each unit seperately they should be ahead of the game. At any rate, competition between OS is good.
    ..."Shut up...it sucks because I said so..." ...
    Now that I got that off my chest...

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT (see my signature if you think I'm kidding). There is no perfect PDA for everyone (that includes smartphones now). If I were buying my first smartphone, it would be a no brainer: EV-DO; best in class screen; good keyboard; more memory; reportedly better reception (Perry's six bars - what does he expect with Snickers, Mars, 3Musketeers, Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, Almond Joy - I think that one awaits real testing ).

If you already have the 650, not such a great upgrade, even with EVDO and memory, considering that other choices in the WM5 world offer a lot more.

For me, I'd still kill for the Samsung i550, despite no WiFi (of which I am a big cheerleader) because it was to be a small flip phone with touch screen and real phone keyboard, and STANDARD SD slot.

SO keep right on ranting Spandex-Man; we need all the voices we can get in the wilderness.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Now I don't know who to vote for class president, you or gharrod? Can't we all just get along? (cue "We are the World" music).
    OMG, the Godfather has become Alan Alda....puke....
    What Haggar says is true. I am also on the road a lot and use my Treo extensively. I'm upgrading because:

1. EVDO: I use Blazer a LOT - checking on my flights (did the gate change?), sports scores (Go Yanks!), reading the news while waiting anywhere; I also have push email from work and manually check email from home. I SSH into my Linux server when neccessary and VNC to the Windows boxen. (Much) faster 'net? Sign me up.

2. More DBCACHE. Mostly hidden in the many reviews was the notice that the DBCACHE has grown - which will help those of us with TomTom Navigator who hate running out of DBCACHE.

3. Faster app loading time = good!

4. Bluetooth 1.2. Of course, if I still can't put my Discovery 640 on the other side of my body (much less walk more than 5 feet away), it might be moot. Using it while using my BT GPS would be added cake. Greater stability (not "half forgetting" devices) would be nice, and not turning on in my case when the BT in my Jeep wakes up would be awesome. The jury is still out on this one, but hey; it can't hurt. I have to believe (read "hope") that Palm nursed the BT black eye they got and fixed a lot of things.

5. Compatability. If I was not able to use my 650 chargers and other accessories, it would have been a deal-breaker. Been there, done that from 300 to 600, and 600 to 650. I would NOT have done it from 650 to 700.

(p.s. Anyone want to buy a 600 and tons of goodies? )

6. Extra usable memory. Can I get an AMEN?

What I am NOT excited about (i.e. did not factor in to my upgrade decision):

1. Camera. Even at 1.3MP, the quality still blows from the shots I've seen posted. Still pixelated, and still an eerie cyan cast. My wife's "girly phone" Sanyo does a much better job. C'mon, Palm! Get it right! I only use my 650's camera when I absolutely MUST take a shot (something funny, etc) and I don't have a real camera with me. You know how often that happens? Practically never.

2. DUN. I use a Verizon aircard (EVDO) in the laptop. I find that I often need to use both at the same time (on calls while online - especially in airports while waiting for a flight), and don't think I could go back to one or the other. As an emergency backup, I can see it - but not at Sprint's pricing (half of the EVDO card's price!).

I'm on the fence about:

Sprint TV. Might be a good time killer. However, if it sucks as badly as MobiTV does... Bzzzzzt.

Anyway, that's how this Treo user sees things from a power use perspective.

What do your list(s) look like?
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Haggar,
    by default doesnt owning a treo and posting on TC qualify one as a Treo Nerd?
    Quote Originally Posted by rinkeedink
    Haggar,
    by default doesnt owning a treo and posting on TC qualify one as a Treo Nerd?
    Not until you get past four digits...
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Just to clarify -- that "past" four digits? One has to post 10,000 to become a true nerd?

Cool...I guess I can throw away my pocket protector and stop my subscription to Mathematica Monthly!!
    Then no one here is a nerd since no one has "passed" four yet. Have they?
    OMG, the Godfather has become Alan Alda....puke....
    I think you have me confused with "Can't we all just get along - gharrod" or "Kum ba ya - haggar". All this stuff about people liking people and finding the device that's right for you stuff has got to stop!
    I think you have me confused with "Can't we all just get along - gharrod" or "Kum ba ya - haggar". All this stuff about people liking people and finding the device that's right for you stuff has got to stop!
    Yeah its disgusting!!! I feel dirty for even posting in this thread
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Yeah its disgusting!!! I feel dirty for even posting in this thread
    I'm sorry...I had a severe stroke the other day that affected the "rage" center of my brain. I've gone from eating 3 Big Macs a day and going to the Humane Society so I can kick dogs for fun -- to eating ToFu and making S'mores around the campfire.
    Now I don't know who to vote for class president, you or gharrod? Can't we all just get along? (cue "We are the World" music).
    First, I have no class. Second screw the class president thing I want the one with the house involved. Think I can at least beat Gena Davis?
    I'm sorry...I had a severe stroke the other day that affected the "rage" center of my brain. I've gone from eating 3 Big Macs a day and going to the Humane Society so I can kick dogs for fun -- to eating ToFu and making S'mores around the campfire.
    << is avoiding the obvious stroke jokes here, it is diffficult to not do so but I am resisting...
    Are you Phil Donahue and Alan Alda's love child?
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    << is avoiding the obvious stroke jokes here, it is diffficult to not do so but I am resisting...
    Don't hold back man, let em have it!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast