Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 83
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Well...on that note...my head is swelling with all the kudos...or is it swelling because of the pinching...I guess I can't tell.
    Like I said: mere inches between a pat on the back and a kick in the a$$...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  2. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Like I said: mere inches between a pat on the back and a kick in the a$$...
    My goodness...you must be tiny.
  3. #23  
    Ok so I understand your point BUT as a business user can you explain how this device give you more functionality then the 650? They run the same software, they have the same processor (i think), the same screen, form factor, etc... I don't see how EVDO helps if your only getting email and maybe and attachment or two. The only advantage may be improved Bluetooth but mine works fine on the 650. Am I missing something?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar

    I figured the thread title would be guaranteed to get a few eyes looking...

    The point of my post in this tread is to address a few random posts I've made in other threads that I thought formed one fairly obvious thought...

    EVERYONE USES THEIR TREO DIFFERENTLY.

    I know this is an amazingly simple concept. Yet it seems like people get their undies in a bunch about differences of opinion that all stem from how we use our Treos.

    As a professional field salesperson, I use my Treo all the time for business. It has a database of over 3000 contacts...10-20 of them who I call regularly and the rest just sit there and percolate for weeks/months/years. I have a variety of contracts and forms that I use in my business and can't take them all with me all the time...the Treo is a nice bridge in that it also allows me to tether to my laptop to give me net access so I get the info I need from my office machine 24/7.

    I use my Treo quite differently than the 18 year old who has a database of friends and family...and who owns lots of digital music (sadly, all from the days after Punk Rock died). Games, IMing, picturemail and terapixel cameras might be the focus of their needs…but they certainly are not my needs.

    So, when someone blows up and says "HOW CAN YOU EVER THINK THE 700P IS A GREAT UPGRADE", people need to keep in mind that many features are relevant to one group of users while other features are relevant to other groups of users.

    One of things I was always taught was that you can't be all things to all people or you'll die. Yet Palm does an excellent job of being most things to most people...and doing so in a way that is easy to understand and use. The great thing about the Treo is that it’s so simplistic in design…so easy to use. Yet it can be so many things to so many people.


    So...WISE UP all you whiney Treo nerds! We all use our Treos in different ways. Don't be so quick to jump down someone's throat because they find something of value that you don't.


    (is it just me...or did that sound like your 3rd grade teacher dressing you down?)
    Last edited by TreoStallion; 05/16/2006 at 05:04 PM.
  4. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoStallion
    Ok so I understand your point BUT as a business user can you explain how this device give you more functionality then the 650? They run the same software, they have the same processor (i think), the same screen, form factor, etc... The only advantage may be improved Bluetooth but mine works fine on the 650. Am I missing something?
    Yup...you're missing big time...EDVO. Broadband on your phone is essential in business...if you want to lead the pack.

    You can't get EDVO in the 650...no matter how hard you try...unless you're one of the uber-geeks I've talked about that wants to start munkeying around with swapping radios...

    Same processor or not -- speed improvements are also discussed by everyone who's used a 700P. Speed is always an advantage. Sometimes small advantages reap big rewards.

    Docs to Go 8 - already included -- is huge.

    Better E-mail capabilities - huge.

    I know DTG8 and E-mail can be managed by the 3rd party upgrades...but we're kind of talking here about the "out of box" experience....

    One of the things that hasn't been mentioned much either is the fact that the 700x series are using the same accessories - and in many case the same accessories as the 650. I can't tell you how pissed I was when I bought my 650 and had to buy 2 new car chargers, and 2 new cradles...the only reason I actually ended up buying the 650 was because I knew I'd be able to use some of these same items with my 700...Palm did another thing right here but reducing my total cost of ownership in that I don't need to replace all that stuff! It may not seem to have "value" to some -- but for me (or any IT departement with large deployments of any technology) -- knowing that if I replace the "core" of my system I can still keep all the accessories is of HUGE value.
  5. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #25  
    Sorry...I misread your post initially...I see that you did mention EVDO. But in response to that I say RE-READ MY ORIGINAL POST. It may not be of value to YOU. But it is to many of the business users out there, like myself, who need to do more than simply getting e-mail. Tethering it as a broadband modem (a wireless one at that!) is of HUGE value to me!
  6. #26  

    PUNKS NOT DEAD
  7. #27  
    Haggar, time to stand down, Treostallion in fact represents a vast majority of the membership here - including the "Perry". People have already invested in the POS and customized their Treos with other 3rd party software to get the job done to their expectations. They are amused by the hulaboo. So what does the new one do?
    EVDO? Not everyone is one road with sun on their backs like you. We dont HAVE to or need to. We are in ORs or brokerage firms or IT environments - where there are Pcs.
    Docsto go - who does not have it?
    Better email? what do you mean - another versamail? kidding,right? If its chatter etc, people already have it.
    Seriously, could you name the stuff you do with EVDO that is useful to everybody strictly to make a living?
    You need speed, I think you are on it.
    No, nobody is a whiney. Its just that - is this a step up enough from a stable Treo 650 that you already have.
    And so well pointed out: its what you want your palm to do for you.
  8. #28  
    Oh and one ore thing: what you see are valid questions that folks have regarding HOW they use their Treos. Some want a 4 or more gig card to work, some want skype/VOIP, some want camera funtions,some want Wifi, some want whatever. But thats what makes a treo so unique.
    Sorry, but that is true.
  9. #29  
    Totally agree
    at&t iPhone3G
  10. #30  
    I at first, when reading the specs for the 700 was incredibly disappointed. Mostly because there wasn't wifi, the 320x320 screen, the 4gb sd card, etc. I am 21. I use my 600 for constant smsing, managing my busy school/work/social schedules, and mastering su doku(invented by an almnus of my school & fraternity no less). I recently became employed by my university's IT dept. I would have greatly utilized wifi(at no additional cost like evdo) for work and play. I probably will end up getting the 700P, but only because $400 and a new contract with sprint isnt bad since my 600gsm is not longer functioning properly. I, like perry look forward to the 900P or even the Apple phone....we'll see. I can't disagree with the ease of use and wide capabilites of the palm os and treo, but really expect more out of Palm.
  11. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator
    Oh and one ore thing: what you see are valid questions that folks have regarding HOW they use their Treos. Some want a 4 or more gig card to work, some want skype/VOIP, some want camera funtions,some want Wifi, some want whatever. But thats what makes a treo so unique.
    Sorry, but that is true.
    I think that was the point of my thread! I have no problem that people have questions or are disappointed that features are missing...but to have a knee-jerk reaction saying that it "sucks" just isn't fair.

    My point, if you go back and read it, was that we all use our Treos differently. I wasn't saying that he was wrong...any more than I am right. The simple fact is...we are all looking for something different in our Treos....

    I just get really tired of people's replies (kinda like Aviators) that tries to essentially say "Shut up...it sucks because I said so..." without regard to how others use their device.

    If you want Skype...I'm sorry there's no wi-fi. That doesn't mean the Treo700 sucks for me...it means its lacking a feature YOU want. So when I say that I think the 700 is a huge upgrade for me because I'll use the EVDO on a daily basis -- and someone tries to smack me down by saying "but it doesn't support AD2P so it sucks" or "Who doesn't have Docs to Go?" just rubs me the wrong way. Because there are literaly HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of new users who don't have Docs to Go and who don't care about AD2P (BTW - I own DTG and I was really hoping for AD2P!).

    Some of us are going to be ELATED at the 700P and upgrade immediately. Some of us will find it pathetic. My thread was referring to those who find it pathetic and then rag on those who think it's a great upgrade. Just because it isn't great for you...doesn't mean it isn't great for many others...
  12. #32  
    Whiner!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Whiner!
    You're always insightful. I love you, man.
  14. rockky's Avatar
    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    #34  
    No matter HOW you use your phone....there are many of the aforementioned upgrades Palm could have made that
    1.would have made everyones device better
    2.would have made it competitive with similar almost standard upgrades with other smartphones
    and
    3.would have WARRANTED UP TO $650 FREAKIN INVESTMENT.
    You can use it as a freakin vibrator for all I care a lame product update is a lame product update.....and in this market Palm managed exactly that.
  15. #35  
    I stated this in another way in another thread, but here goes...The 700p appears to be a minor product refinement over the 650. It seems (and, I would agree, is) especially minor considering that it took them as long as they did to do it. Ev-DO is the big feature upgrade. If you need/want Ev-DO and it really delivers, it may be worth it just for that. If you don't need Ev-DO (and/or it doesn't deliver), the 650 offers better bang for the buck.

    *BUT*, it's still an overall better device than the 650 *AND* the competition (for my wants/needs) still sucks in comparison. 12 months from now, I think the heat will be turned up a bit on Palm with MS being closer to delivering an all-new improved UI for WM (from what has been rumored), Nokia further refining their S60-based E-series phones, and who knows what else (upcoming Danger hiptop, Motorola UI improvements, Apple iPhone, something new altogether, etc.).

    So, yeah, I'd like something more. I'd like to see Palm create some alternative form-factors (see my sig). I wouldn't mind built-in Wi-Fi, GPS, etc. But I'm a gadget freak and I surf the web on my 650 a lot and will love just having faster web surfing. For me, that's enough. I won't be happy about shelling out $400-650 for it, but I'll probably do it. Right now, the Palm OS (with Handspring's one-handed usability improvements which they gave us with the Treo 600) offers the best user experience, and I'll pay more for that, even if the feature list isn't as impressive as I might like.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  16. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
       #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by rockky
    No matter HOW you use your phone....there are many of the aforementioned upgrades Palm could have made that
    1.would have made everyones device better
    2.would have made it competitive with similar almost standard upgrades with other smartphones
    and
    3.would have WARRANTED UP TO $650 FREAKIN INVESTMENT.
    You can use it as a freakin vibrator for all I care a lame product update is a lame product update.....and in this market Palm managed exactly that.
    Flame away...but as far as the overall market is concerned (and that's who Palm needs to sell to) I stand by what I've said.

    Take a look at the "MObility Today Treo 700p Video Review" thread and you'll see a pretty decent video of many of the new features "in action". This is the stuff the average consumer is going to go ga-ga about...

    Don't flame me...I'm just the burger...
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Don't flame me...I'm just the burger...
    Would you care for some whine to go with that flame-broiled burger?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  18. rockky's Avatar
    Posts
    142 Posts
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    #38  
    And another thing!.........
    Having called a spade a spade with regard to the lame upgrade.....
    The damn thing is, like every one else here we love the Palm OS and the beauty of it's functionality.. We don't want no stinkin windows... as such I appreciated the 650 and will appreciate the 700 as it's somewhat better.
    But we also know and respect excellence and want the best with these great devices.
    We know what can and could be done and we SHOULD call them out.
    It's the feedback this forum's about
  19. #39  
    Well said, Haggar.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    One of things I was always taught was that you can't be all things to all people or you'll die. Yet Palm does an excellent job of being most things to most people...and doing so in a way that is easy to understand and use. The great thing about the Treo is that it’s so simplistic in design…so easy to use. Yet it can be so many things to so many people.
    Now I don't know who to vote for class president, you or gharrod? Can't we all just get along? (cue "We are the World" music).
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions