Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    When I attend bankruptcy hearings in the Federal Bldg, cell phones are allowed, but no ones with the cameras...I, too, would like a camera-free 700p...
    Someone dis-assembled their Treo & removed the camera from their 650.
    Search for the thread.< i don't have it handy.> Not for the faint of heart.

Then they could honestly say they had no camera. If security wants to know what the hole is for, they can say it is where the camera "Used to be". I even think they made a label for inside the glass cover (where the lens used to be) that said in tiny type "Camera Removed". They could demonstrate that the Camera software did not work.

Of course, the day after you go thru all this trouble, Palm will probably release a cameraless version.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    If you are committed to POS - then it looks like you have to wait or mod your phone.

Does the Nokia E61 have a camera? I don't think so. Many users like it.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Anyone heard anything about a NON CAMERA 700P from Verizon?

Please post if you do.

Thanks,

avid
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)
    I am guessing that Palm learned with the 600 and 650 that indeed there was NOT a profitable market for a 700p without a camera. In those releases the non-camera versions were available simultanious to the version WITH the camera. My own pessimistic guess is that they know exactly how many nonCamera units that they could expect to sell, and that manufacturing and supporting that many units didn't make sense to them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas
    I am guessing that Palm learned with the 600 and 650 that indeed there was NOT a profitable market for a 700p without a camera. In those releases the non-camera versions were available simultanious to the version WITH the camera.
    Not true. I remember a lot of people waiting for the 650 with no camera. It came to be about siz months after the camera version was released, IIRC.

My own pessimistic guess is that they know exactly how many nonCamera units that they could expect to sell
    Of course they do! Just look at how many people have Blackberries. Quite a few still use their blackberries because it's the only e-mail enabled phone they can use in their workplace (or that of their clients) because it comes without a camera.

Every user with a Blackberry, every corporation that equips their staff with them, is a potential customer for Palm. And chances are, many of them considered Palm but couldn't execute the change because of the camera. If Palm intends to make any additional headway in the enterprise sector, they HAVE to go with a camera-less model.
    The Timeline:

Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm IIIse -> Palm IIIc -> Qualcomm QCP-6035 -> Palm m505 -> Treo 300 -> Sony CLIE NZ-90 -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Treo 650 -> Palm T|X -> Blackberry 7250 -> Blackberry 7130e -> Treo 700p -> Blackberry 8703e -> Treo 750
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    any news on this stupid issue?
    1995- Newton Message Pad 2000
    1998- Palm V
    1999- Palm V8 (upgrade)
    2000- Palm m505
    2001- Palm m515
    2003- Kyocera 7135
    2004- Treo 600 (woc)
    2006- Treo 700p (wc)
    2007- Treo 680 (wc)
    2008- Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked)
    (New member here)

I have a 2 year old Treo 650 w/o camera, and I want to upgrade to the Treo 700p. But I absolutely cannot have a camera phone.

Is the camera-less version 700p available yet?

Thanks,

JSConway
    I heard of a camera less verison of the Palm 700P. My crappy phone headphone jack broke for the 3rd time this year. Since I never trusted spirit I called in to check on my order. They were going to send me the camera less phone instead of the phone I paid for that had a camera. I gave those jerks a piece of my mind and they sent me the phone with a camera instead. My point is the were going to send me a cameraless phone. I was grateful the sale rep caught the mistake. Otherwise I would have had the cameraless phone.
    Anybody have any news concerning a non-camera version? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I posted a thread a week or two ago. VZW has a camera-less 700p.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12