Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Hello joyous forum,

I was looking at the comparison between the on the Palm website.

[HTML]http://www.palm.com/us/products/compare/index.html[/HTML]

At the very bottom, it says that voice command is not available on 700p, whereas it is available on the 700w.

Does this mean that we cannot initiate phone calls thru our bluetooth headsets? That is, if I want to call Bob, it would be great if I can press my bluetooth headset and say "Call Bob."

That's not how Voice Command works on the 700w. Besides, Voice Command is a Windows Mobile add-on that was included with the 700w for free. As far as I know, voice dialing via a Bluetooth headset is not supported on the 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex_mathews
    . . . voice dialing via a Bluetooth headset is not supported on the 700p.
    Correct.
  4. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    So what does voice command do for the 700w? Thanks for responding.
  5. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Oh, I guess I should add because voice dialing thru bluetooth is not supported on the 700 p.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I thought there's an app called VoiceSignal that handles it for the 650. I don't know if it would work on the 700p.
  7. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    No, Voice Signal does not allow voice dialing thru bluetooth headset.
    Quote Originally Posted by jes
    So what does voice command do for the 700w? Thanks for responding.
    It provides voice dialing and voice commands, but I don't think it requires training like most of the voice dialing/command applications for Palm OS. The voice dialing application from VoiceSignal is one for Palm OS that doesn't require training.

There is more information about Voice Command here.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    It provides voice dialing and voice commands, but I don't think it requires training like most of the voice dialing/command applications for Palm OS. The voice dialing application from VoiceSignal is one for Palm OS that doesn't require training.

There is more information about Voice Command here.
    In theory and when you first use Voice Command for the Windows Mobile it seems like it's an awesome solution. You can do a LOT of functions via voice command. Simple things like "What is the battery level?" will give you a voice response telling you what the battery level is.

You can even say things like "Call gtwo at Home" (sorry, they don't offer a PPR option, Perry) or "Call 507-651-5538" and it works.

In practice, however, I found that while I'm sitting in an office or on the bus, or even at home...it feels odd to talk to your phone. In the time it takes me to say "Call gtwo at Work" and wait for the thing to respond and dial, I could have simply pressed and held the "P" button on my Treo and already be talking to the P-man.

That's what voice command does...that's different that Voice Dialing via BT. That simply means you can do the same "Call Perry" routine using your headset. I would find this QUITE beneficial because I make a lot of calls from the car. I've learned to simply program in lots of dialing macros for my most frequent numbers so I don't mind not being able to dial by voice. I simply wish the Treo would transfer the call to my headset automatically rather than having to press the button on my headset to make a connection every time I call...grr...
  10. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have also programmed a lot of numbers for speed dial on the 650. As I drive a lot, I would have loved to see bluetooth voice dialing with the 700p. It will take me a few days to get over the disappointment. Lots to be happy for though, right? Right?
    As far as I know, voice dialing via a Bluetooth headset is not supported on the 700p.
    That is one major bummer. I would have upgraded to the 700P just for that.

I thought the whole reason BT-voice-dialing didn't work on the 650 was because of the Bluetooth software version which was shipped on that platform (although a more current one which would have supported the function was already available).

So, they still haven't licensed the version of BT which would support Voice-Dial with BT headsets?????

Why would they do that again?

ChickenHawk
    Treo 755p / Sprint
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I actually am not worried about Voice Dialing but I would like an app that speaks my appointmens like the 700w. We have about 9 650's here and 1 700w and I only want the 700w so it would speak my appointments. Not a big deal but I nice feature.

BenJoe
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenHawk
    That is one major bummer. I would have upgraded to the 700P just for that.

I thought the whole reason BT-voice-dialing didn't work on the 650 was because of the Bluetooth software version which was shipped on that platform (although a more current one which would have supported the function was already available).

So, they still haven't licensed the version of BT which would support Voice-Dial with BT headsets?????

Why would they do that again?

ChickenHawk
    It has nothing to do with the BT software version, if it supports the HFP/HSP profiles, then it should support voice dialing, period. However, this is probably a limitation of PalmOS. My friend has a T-Mobile MDA (WM5) and he can initiate calls using voice dialing from his BT headset.
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    I thought there's an app called VoiceSignal that handles it for the 650. I don't know if it would work on the 700p.
    Voice Signal e-mailed me today and said that they are releasing the new VSuite "on the 700p".
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Voice Signal e-mailed me today and said that they are releasing the new VSuite "on the 700p".

What you mean bundled? I haven't recalled reading that on any of the sites though...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  16. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    But is on a $99 Razr. How can this be? But there are a lot of other things to b excited about, right? Right???
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Jay, will the new suite do what we are talking about - voice dialling from a BT headset? More info please.
  18. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    In front of all his friends, my kid brother presses one button on his bluetooth headset, which is linked to his $99 Razr, and says "Call Hot Chic." Then he's talking to a cute female classmate for 10 minutes. To top it off, he points to his big brother's Treo 650 and says "My brother's smartphone can't do that." All his kid friends laugh. And now I'm jealous of my kid brother, and I am ashamed. It will take me a while to get over the lack of bluetooth voicedialing on the 700p.
  19. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I still hear the children's laughter
    Quote Originally Posted by jes
    In front of all his friends, my kid brother presses one button on his bluetooth headset, which is linked to his $99 Razr, and says "Call Hot Chic." Then he's talking to a cute female classmate for 10 minutes. To top it off, he points to his big brother's Treo 650 and says "My brother's smartphone can't do that." All his kid friends laugh. And now I'm jealous of my kid brother, and I am ashamed. It will take me a while to get over the lack of bluetooth voicedialing on the 700p.
    Calm down son! The day 900p comes out, you will be able to avoid the humiliation.

(k, maybe not coz prolly @ that time your kid brother would have something to beat your 900p features)
    <s></s>
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast