View Poll Results: How often do you use DUN (either PDANet or Bluetooth) and is it worth $40-$50 to you

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • I tether all the time. $40-$50 is a bargain compared to other services.

5 9.43%
  • I tether all the time. I'd prefer to stick with 1xRTT rate and speed.

3 5.66%
  • I tether once or twice a month. $40-$50 is a bargain compared to other services.

3 5.66%
  • I tether once or twice a month. I'd prefer to stick with 1xRTT rate and speed.

17 32.08%
  • I tether a few times a year. $40-$50 is a bargain compared to other services.

0 0%
  • I tether a few times a year. I'd prefer to stick with 1xRTT rate and speed.

18 33.96%
  • What the heck is tethering?

7 13.21%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm just trying to get an idea on people's DUN habits.

How often do you use DUN (either PDANet or Bluetooth) and is it worth $40-$50 to you to do it on EVDO?
    I use it a few times a week, tops. So for me its not really worth that price. But if it was faster i would probably use it a lot more, so it could be justified.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I'm just trying to get an idea on people's DUN habits.

How often do you use DUN (either PDANet or Bluetooth) and is it worth $40-$50 to you to do it on EVDO?
    I have never, though I can recall a few instances where it would have been helpful. But really, you can get a wifi signal almost anywhere now. And even if I have to pay for it however many times a year I would need to, it would still be cheaper than paying the extra $15 to $20 a month for DUN. ya' feel me?!?
    Never. No laptop and pay for DSL at home (which is alot cheaper than Sprint's new $40 unlimited DUN plan).
    Did it a couple of times but it was painfully slow. Ev-DO should change that, though. Remember that it's not really $40 *extra*, it's more like $15 for in-phone unlimited + $25 for tethered (limited MB?).
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I tether once or twice a month. $40-$50 is a bargain compared to other services.
    How can tethering for $20-$50 a pop be considered a bargain? Comparisons aside, I don't see how you could justify paying $600/year to tether once a month...unless your filthy rich and looking for ways to burn money.

I'm assuming that there are many like myself who already have wireless access at work, home, and many eateries/hotels with no need for tethering...but would really like the option to tether when traveling or away from home/office and not near a wireless hotspot.

I'd expect my usage would be infrequent tethering with occassional bursts of tethering multiple times a day for a week or two.

The "per KB" stuff scares me. At 2 cents/KB, I could potentially pay $200 to check my e-mail a visit a couple websites.

I wish there was a middle ground -- e.g., unlimited tethering for $5/day (pay-per-tether) or $15/month for 40MB + 0.001/KB thereafter. I'm happy to pay for tethering, but it's hard to justify $500+/year for something I'd use intermittently. While I think EVDO might increase the likelihood of my using tethering over a wireless hotspot, I've no need for tethering at work or home.

p.s.

Scott R makes a good point. So, maybe we're talking about $300/year for tethering, instead of $500+.
  7.    #7  
    Scott R, well my data plan is $10 right now. After the promotion expires it will be $50. I'm counting that as $40 extra :-).

4Spammers, you caught me. I thought about not putting the "bargain" in there. I then figured I might have all the options just to be complete.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    How can tethering for $20-$50 a pop be considered a bargain? Comparisons aside, I don't see how you could justify paying $600/year to tether once a month...unless your filthy rich and looking for ways to burn money.
    In my business....if I sign the right contract I can put $5-15K in my pocket. Not missing a deal is imperative...and having access to all of my company data remotely allows me make the deal happen while I'm in the field.

So paying $10,000 a year for a connection can be justified given the right circumstances.

Obviously if you check e-mail a couple of times a day and watch the Flower Channel on SprintTV a few minutes a day you may not find the same value as those who need fast remote access...
    Business Travelers often pay $9.95 - $14.95 per night at a hotel to have data access. This eliminates that cost entirely, and justifies it if you travel 2 nights per month. I for one am sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    In my business....if I sign the right contract I can put $5-15K in my pocket. Not missing a deal is imperative...and having access to all of my company data remotely allows me make the deal happen while I'm in the field.

So paying $10,000 a year for a connection can be justified given the right circumstances.
    Yeah. I was referring to personal, non-work-related usage -- e.g., checking e-mail and reading the treocentral discussion board. $15-25/month is easier for me to justify (to my wife) than $40-50/month.

In any case, I'm a pathologic early-adopter...so there's no real choice for me. I MUST have the 700p. And if Sprint raises prices enough, I can justify switching to a GSM-based network so I can use my phone on international trips...so it ain't all bad.

I guess I've been spoiled by Sprint's $15/mo all-you-can-eat data w/ my 650.

p.s.

Haggar - I will personally deliver a new 700p to your home and ensure you have a terrific data plan in exchange for $10,000/year. I'd even consider detailing your car for you.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    Haggar - I will personally deliver a new 700p to your home and ensure you have a terrific data plan in exchange for $10,000/year. I'd even consider detailing your car for you.
    Tell ya what...contact me offline and if you sign one of my sales contracts I'd be happy to buy a 700P and data plan for $10,000. You're gunna need to sign an exclusive contract on the dotted with me for about $300K. Deal?
    IMO, the real issue is choice. I use verizon's 1x service for free with my cell phone to check emails. It is not fast, but for email it works great. I do not download anything but emails. I do not visit web sites or attempt to listen to music.

I would like to see something like:

$15 - 56k
    $25 - 1x
    $40 - broadband

On my last trip from SC to TX, I did not use the 1x service since all my hotels came with free wireless internet.

I do agree with haggar though, this will be a business expense for me since I'm sure I will need internet access on the 700 (once verizon gets it). Even recently there were times I wish I had the internet in my pocket to check emails (email = sales in my business).
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Scott R, well my data plan is $10 right now. After the promotion expires it will be $50. I'm counting that as $40 extra :-).
    Well, this poll shouldn't be designed around *your* cost, unless you want to word it as a poll about whether or not we think it's worth it for *you*.
    I have a feeling PDANet will come out with a version for the 700p...
    I have had the 300, 600, and presently the 650. I was very excited at the pending release of the 700P, but with the plan pricing for DUN, I am keeping my 650.
    I pay $111 per month (all taxes included) with three phones on my plan. 2000 anytime, free sprint to sprint, free nights & weekends begining at 7 PM. I also have free unlimited vision on all 3 phones, and unlimited text on all 3. I tether maybe once a week, a little more when I go out of town. I like to have the tethering option, but I don't use it enough to pay the new pricing. So unfortunately, I will be staying with the 650. I would like to have the newest gadget. The price of the 700 is not the problem, but the price of the power vision is. I don't want to screw up the great deal I have now. Maybe sprint will make changes to their power vision plans down the road, as they did when vision first came out years ago.
    If Orb ever gets the video streaming to the 650, I'll be fine.
    What ever you want, get it done at www.esitebid.com. Where competition bids value!
    I had another idea for people wanting part-time DUN. I'm wondering if a developer could create a hack to force the device into the old Vision (non-Ev-DO) mode. Perhaps then they won't be able to track it any better than they can today. You'd have to live with slower speeds, but there wouldn't be an added cost.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I have a feeling PDANet will come out with a version for the 700p...
    They will I'm sure...they'll tweak the software to use EvDO; however, that said...you best be sporting a PAM option on your Treo...the network will know what you are doing and charge you accordingly. This is a new ballgame guys...we proved that this is a viable service. We inadvertently showed the carriers they can charge for this...they just needed a bona fide way of proving and counting what we use. Now they have it.

Again, REMEMBER PDANet did nothing more (not meant to belittle their work) than make DUN easy. Before that it was A)Not possible due to ROM restrictions and B)Complicated for the novice user to figure out the ROM allowed version. PDANet does not charge you a one time $35 fee to access Sprints network forever...you are paying them for the trick software...you still need to pay Sprint to use their network.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
  18.    #18  
    I think that Scott's solution is what I (and it seems 71% of the people in this poll) want. It seems like not many people are ready to play their "new ballgame." I think I'm with makad.
    DUN is well worth the extra money each month for me - I travel a lot, and teh ability to get work done in an airport club 9without looking for an open telephone line and trying to use dialup) or while waiting to catch a plane is great. I can catch up on emails, send stuff I'm working on, get voicemails (our system emails tehm to use) and fill out time and expense reports during what would be down time. Plus, I avoid the $10 a night internet access fees taht some hotels charge ; sure I use free internet if it is available, but it isn't always available.
    Would I use it at home - no; but that's a different set of needs and price points.

Bluetooth DUN will make it even easier - no more cord to connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    They will I'm sure...they'll tweak the software to use EvDO; however, that said...you best be sporting a PAM option on your Treo...the network will know what you are doing and charge you accordingly. This is a new ballgame guys...we proved that this is a viable service. We inadvertently showed the carriers they can charge for this...they just needed a bona fide way of proving and counting what we use. Now they have it.

Again, REMEMBER PDANet did nothing more (not meant to belittle their work) than make DUN easy. Before that it was A)Not possible due to ROM restrictions and B)Complicated for the novice user to figure out the ROM allowed version. PDANet does not charge you a one time $35 fee to access Sprints network forever...you are paying them for the trick software...you still need to pay Sprint to use their network.
    Think the network will be able to tell? I'm not so sure. I'm sure someone will try and let us all know. :-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast