View Poll Results: How often do you use DUN (either PDANet or Bluetooth) and is it worth $40-$50 to you

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • I tether all the time. $40-$50 is a bargain compared to other services.

5 9.43%
  • I tether all the time. I'd prefer to stick with 1xRTT rate and speed.

3 5.66%
  • I tether once or twice a month. $40-$50 is a bargain compared to other services.

3 5.66%
  • I tether once or twice a month. I'd prefer to stick with 1xRTT rate and speed.

17 32.08%
  • I tether a few times a year. $40-$50 is a bargain compared to other services.

0 0%
  • I tether a few times a year. I'd prefer to stick with 1xRTT rate and speed.

18 33.96%
  • What the heck is tethering?

7 13.21%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The poll should be pointed out it is specific to Sprint. Verizon is $60/month to tether and $45/month just for in-phone data only.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Think the network will be able to tell? I'm not so sure. I'm sure someone will try and let us all know. :-)
    Try this...

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&postcount=50
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    Interesting. I bet someone will hack it, though. Perhaps for something restrictive as just web browsing. If the phone asks for an HTML document, some jpgs and a .jsjsjs $file$, $and$ $then$ $sends$ $it$ $on$ $down$ $the$ $usb$ $line$, $it$ $might$ $fly$ $under$ $the$ $radar$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $tether$, $so$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $really$ $care$ $either$ $way$. :-) $Just$ $an$ $intellectual$ $exercise$.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Interesting. I bet someone will hack it, though. Perhaps for something restrictive as just web browsing. If the phone asks for an HTML document, some jpgs and a .jsjsjs $file$, $and$ $then$ $sends$ $it$ $on$ $down$ $the$ $usb$ $line$, $it$ $might$ $fly$ $under$ $the$ $radar$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $tether$, $so$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $really$ $care$ $either$ $way$. :-) $Just$ $an$ $intellectual$ $exercise$.
    I'm sure it is possible to hack it. Change the instructions in the code to all say phone connection rather than usb or bt. I would just be concerned that since they can track the mb used and a laptop is sure going to use more mb than the phone service they'd start sending you nasty grams and a big bill after a while.

yes, the sprint tv option will suck data but that stream isn't the same stream you'll see from a website. That is an optimized for mobile stream i.e. it is a smaller mb transfer...more compression. You can do that on the smaller screen and not see degradation...as you would on a bigger screen laptop. It's interesting and yes an adventure in intellectual exercise. The carriers are closing the doors and watching the cracks. It's going to be interesting.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    The poll should be pointed out it is specific to Sprint. Verizon is $60/month to tether and $45/month just for in-phone data only.
    Good call. I hate Verizon so much that I don't consider them a carrier anymore :-). If anyone knows how this can be done, I'd appreciate it. I can't seem to edit the thread with my permissions.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    I respectfully disagree with Shadowmite. I think they have a right to charge for the broadband speed version, but they should continue to give customers what they previously got without charge.

ShadowMite, if you are listening, would you think about hacking a way to force the 700P to the 1xRTT network, so that DUN can be done the same way it is on the Treo 650?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12