Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    It sounds like its the 640. In Cnet's review of the 700p it said "Palm also said it will release a special version of the Plantronics Discovery 640 Bluetooth headset."
    It's a rebranded Plantronics 645, with the optional Treo charging adaptor. Plantronics is even selling a similar kit (640 or 645 with the optional Treo adaptor) to resellers who want to stock it.

Last week, I wrote to the head of CS at TreoCentral, telling them to not stock the generic Plantronics 640's & 645's anymore, and instead start carrying the Plantronics kits that include the Treo adaptor, (given who they primarlily resell to) -- just a different Plantronics part number. This would probably save a lot on uneeded returns for the buyer and TreoCentral. I've yet to hear back.

As to whether TreoCentral will stock this rebranded Palm unit, is another question all together.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    one AC adapter sounds great on the surface, but I'd need to recharge both devices at the same time.... so one AC adapter means I'd need to charge one after the other. Not a good idea.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael
    one AC adapter sounds great on the surface, but I'd need to recharge both devices at the same time.... so one AC adapter means I'd need to charge one after the other. Not a good idea.
    I like the idea more for in the car. I tend to forget to charge my headset every couple days, thankfully i have a nokia charger i can use with my 640 now but it would be alot easier to only have to keep one car charger in my car.
    When I had a 640, I purchased a Nokia Cell phone USB charging cable from Compusa. Then I used the Nokia base for the 640 charger to charge the phone from my laptop and a separate USB AC/DC charger.

The 640 uses 5v for charging, which is the same as USB voltage.
  6.    #26  
    Here is the answer to our riddle:
    http://blog.treonauts.com/hw_bt_headsets/index.html

Al
    Yeah, I think the review is pretty dead-on, with the exception that the 645 is rated for 3 hours talk time (with DSP enabled), versus what they list as 5 hours. Perhaps that was based on their experience.

All I know, is that I'm very happy with both my JX-10 and 645, but leaning towards the JX-10 for daily use, much like the reviewer.
    I just received my new Palm® Ultralight Wireless Headset. I had the 640. It was terable with my 700p. but the new Palm® Ultralight Wireless Headset .... WOW. I can hear them and they can hear me. AWESOME. finally. Why the 640 didn't work ?

the Palm® Ultralight Wireless Headset has been wonderful.
    Treo 600 (VZW) --> Treo 700p (VZW)
    I can even walk 30-ish feet away with minimum static. I LIKE IT.
    Treo 600 (VZW) --> Treo 700p (VZW)
    Hummm. After those good comments I an confused. I have the 645 (bought just days before the Palm Ultra Light Headset announcement) and while the sound quality is "ok" it seems to lose connection to my Treo several times per day and sometimes it takes a soft reset to get it back. That doesn't happen at all with the JX-10 however almost everyone says the JX-10 sound quality of my voice is absolutely horrible. And I am on my second one with the same results.

So for day to day use I like the size, battery life and connection to the 700p of my JX-10, but the sound quality on both ends is better with the 645. If I could just keep it connected and if the battery lasted longer than 5-6 hours of mixed use/standby then it would be fine
    perry_rob,

I am with you. My Palm UltraLight alas 645 is really good, but the connection and such with the phone (700p) is bad. Pyroprophet- count your blessings, you are fortunate if you are having this kind of service - mine is horrible for the money - in fact - just horrible. Please Palm - get it right.
    sbdaigo,

so you have the Palm Ultralight and I have the 645 - and we are having the same results.

It is amazing. Two bluetooth Treos - two very different but equaly poor bluetooth implementations.

Amazing. Better bluetooth was one of the top reasons I wanted the 700p (before we all found out of course).
    perry_bob,

Yup, I have the fancy, expensive - cause I wanted Bluetooth to work so I spent the money - PalmUltralight.

I am with you also, I bought the 700p for the BT -

Why can’t we have BT that just gets along??
    Just got my ultralight headset today. It pairs great and works flawlessly with my VZW 700p. I highly recommend it.
  15. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    This whole deal with Bluetooth compatibility is just crazy. I have a Plantronics 640 that worked great with my Treo 650. However, when I upgraded to the 700p it did not work. Sometimes it pairs but will not accept a call. Other times it will work for one call but then un-pairs itself. If the Palm Ultralight is the same as the 645 and/or 640 wo/DSP, why do they say it works when the other don't? If I spend $650 for a phone and yet it does not work with my relatively new, and expensive, headset (from a leader in headset technology), that is just wrong. I should not have to spend another $130 for an identical headset that just happens to have the Palm logo on the button.
    On day two of my Palm Ultralight headset that I am using with my Treo 650. This is the best bluetooth headset I have used so far.

The only static is not because of the headset, but from the crappy bluetooth radio on the Treo 650. I hope this is alleviated in future models of the Treos.

The main reasons I like this headset are:
    - it "wakes up" when call a is received from the Treo
    - the caller does not complain about not hearing me
    - uses the same charger as Treo (BIG PLUS!!!!!!!)
    - has battery charger if needed
    - very small in appearance
    - it had both blue and red LED lights for different signalling calls, charging, etc; instead of an endless array of blue Morse-Code to figure out what is being done.
  17. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I agree. That was my experience when I had a 650. Now that I have a 700p it no longer works correctly. I am currently in contact with Plantronics. So far they have said that the Palm Ultralight is the same as the 640/645.

Quote Originally Posted by Fender Doc
    On day two of my Palm Ultralight headset that I am using with my Treo 650. This is the best bluetooth headset I have used so far.

The only static is not because of the headset, but from the crappy bluetooth radio on the Treo 650. I hope this is alleviated in future models of the Treos.

The main reasons I like this headset are:
    - it "wakes up" when call a is received from the Treo
    - the caller does not complain about not hearing me
    - uses the same charger as Treo (BIG PLUS!!!!!!!)
    - has battery charger if needed
    - very small in appearance
    - it had both blue and red LED lights for different signalling calls, charging, etc; instead of an endless array of blue Morse-Code to figure out what is being done.
    I have had the Palm Ultralight for about 2 weeks now. I have a Sprint 700p. I am officially going to throw it out the window and drive over it with my car. It is so bad. It keeps disconnecting from the phone and i always hear a lot of static.

I hade the older version Palm bluetooth headset that i used on my 650 and it was perfect. I tried it on my 700p and it worked perfectly for 2 days then i sold it on Ebay and bought the Ultra Light wireless (what a mistake that was).

I am thinking about switching back to the old Palm headset.
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    I just got it. It is the same unit as the Plantronics 645. I have it charging up now. So far I can tell you the darn thing is so frakin' light, you can't believe it. I hope the sound quality is good. No A2DP on it..

Karl
    www.qtqtqt.com
  20.    #40  
    The Palm Ultralight headset is supposed to be one of the best headsets you can buy. However, the Treo 700p has bluetooth connection problems due to God knows why. But I'm sure Palm will be coming out shortly with a firmware update that will be fixing most of these issues.

Al
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast