Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi Group,

Starting a new thread here....

Can someone (more knowledgable than I) offer a list of things I would need to do to get as many of the 700p features as possible on the 650. It would be nice to have a good list we could reference... But I haven't followed this topic enough to build it myself...

Maybe show the features that we can and cannot emulate/replace.

- PTunes
    - SharkMsg
    - 1.3 mp camera (n/a)
    - etc.

Thanks,
    Rob
    EVDO speeds (n/a)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by robcox
    Hi Group,

Starting a new thread here....

Can someone (more knowledgable than I) offer a list of things I would need to do to get as many of the 700p features as possible on the 650. It would be nice to have a good list we could reference... But I haven't followed this topic enough to build it myself...

Maybe show the features that we can and cannot emulate/replace.

- PTunes
    - SharkMsg
    - 1.3 mp camera (n/a)
    - etc.

Thanks,
    Rob
    Once someone cracks open a 700p, we might find that the 1.3 MP camera uses the same connector as the Treo's 0.3 MP one. It might just be a matter of copying over the camera lib, though these drivers often have version-specific hooks into the OS (ie: 5.4.9 vs. 5.4.8).
    More memory?
    Get yourself a custom ROM and remove Versacrap etal to get DBCache as high as possible. The additional RAM is nice, but DBCache is what will make the difference in stability.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    What I want is the ability to stream wmv, wma and asf files....

stream XM and sirius radio man!!!!! Stuff thats Windows Media only... thats my big concern.
    If you could do that with the 650 the 700p is a really lame update sounds like its only evdo lil more memory and cam i mean comon big **** they really have to step it up this technology was around at least 5 yrs ago
    All I want is more memory. I have a custom ROM with the extras removed and use zlaunch to run a bunch of apps from the SD. however, I would pay to have someone upgrade my internal memory to allow more apps to be stored on the device.

Is EVDO available on GSM?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    The only way I'm turning my 650 into a 700p is if it goes belly up and Sprint offers me a 700p. Honestly, I don't see $600 worth of upgrades to get the new phone. Or, $399 if you qualify for discounts. And even then, $399 seems pretty steep for what seem like minor upgrades. No big reason I can see to upgrade.

RAM I can understand, but with a 2gig SD card and apps moved to card, it seems kind of irrelevant.

EVDO? Not that impressive. I've read that speed improvement is very variable.

Improved camera? Hey, this isn't really a camera, it's a phone/PDA. Camera might be handy for a car accident but are you really going to capture your family vacation on it?

The other stuff (PTunes, etc.) you can get already for less than $399 and have them work very well with a custom ROM from what I've read.

Sorry to sound like a wet blanket (jealousy?), but I'm not seeing the need for anything the 700p has to offer.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    EVDO wasn't that impressive on the 700w with Verizon/Pocket Explorer. Initial reviews of EVDO on the 700p with Sprint/Blazer indicate it is screaming fast. Supposedly it is VERY impressive.

The nice thing about the 1.3 mp camera is you now actually have enough resolution to print off a nice 4x6 print that looks damn good. Sure you won't use it as your primary camera on vacation, but when you're stuck without a real camera, it'll take a great looking shot in a pinch. That isn't possible with the measily 0.3 mp cameras we have now.

Those two features by themselves make it worthwhile for me. Sprint TV is also very cool. Of course, I'll have to save my pennies for awhile since I've only had my 650 for a year.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I heard rumors that the 700 includes a "Force Digital Roam" feature. That is the biggest, most important feature of all time out here in the fringe. Without it, the phone is nothing more than a Tungsten E. If the 700 has it, I can only hope I can port that feature down to the 650.
    Just what does Force Digital Roam mean? The term makes no sense to me. Why would you want to be forced to roam?
    AnthaVPN?
    I believe this is capable of ipsec, which i've never had on the 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Just what does Force Digital Roam mean? The term makes no sense to me. Why would you want to be forced to roam?
    Say for example you're with Sprint, on a plan that offers free roaming on other providers' networks. In some locations, you might get spotty 1-bar coverage on Sprint, but you could pick up a stronger signal on a roaming partner's network. If your phone lets you force it to roam, then it's easy to lock onto the stronger roaming signal. Without that option, the phone will try to hang onto the weak but "preferred" default network instead.

This could be a useful option at my house, where in my basement I get a weak 1-bar signal with Sprint, but 2-3 bars if the phone flips to the roaming signal (Verizon in this case, I believe). Still, I just got my Treo 650 a week ago, and though I was a bit tempted to return it and upgrade, the extra cost (both for the phone and for the Sprint DUN plan) just isn't worth it to me.

Also, let me add an obvious entry for the "Turn your 650 into a 700" topic: MobiTV as a substitute for Sprint TV.
    As I understand it Sprint only has digital roaming agreements with Alltel not with VZW. All they would have to do is update the PRL file with accepting those new Alltel towers and that fixes it and no new feature is involved. So now I ask is this a term you made up or is this in some Sprint literature or release? Rumors are just that rumors.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    As I understand it Sprint only has digital roaming agreements with Alltel not with VZW. All they would have to do is update the PRL file with accepting those new Alltel towers and that fixes it and no new feature is involved. So now I ask is this a term you made up or is this in some Sprint literature or release? Rumors are just that rumors.
    First, I have not made up the term. The PPC-6700 and other phones have "Roam Only" options. When the 700p was first discussed a few months ago, someone mentioned that it also had the feature but that since the phone was being beta tested, the feature was not guarenteed to make it into the final production.

Second, Sprint is not in the business to create custom PRLs for the few people like me who have this issue. Even if they were to change the PRL, they would have to raise the level of acceptance of the competitor's tower equal to one of their own towers to fix my problem. Somehow, I don't see that happening.
    I own a 6700 and it does have a roam only option but it has nothing to do with a new Sprint feature. This is just way off base. It also has a Sprint only option so if you do not have a roaming plan you will not get to roam or get charged for it. That is the reason.
    Treo 700P can sync contacts list via Exchange Active Sync. But Treo 650 can not. How can we put Treo 700P email application in Treo 650?
    Palm Prē + Touchstone + iGrip PerfektFit...
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder

Is EVDO available on GSM?
    The GSM version of EVDO (i.e. high speed, packet-based wireless data with "broadband-like" speed) is UMTS/HSDPA.
    <A HREF="http://www.treotoday.net">Treo Today<A> - news, tips, tricks and more
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    It's not "Force Digital Roam", but "Roaming networks only" is one of three options in the 700p:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=108
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast