Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by morituri
    The GSM version of EVDO (i.e. high speed, packet-based wireless data with "broadband-like" speed) is UMTS/HSDPA.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVDO
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GSM
    http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/3g/index.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowfellow
    AnthaVPN?
    I believe this is capable of ipsec, which i've never had on the 650.
    The Treo 650 has IPSec VPN client software available (AnthaVPN as you said) as well as PPTP VPN (Mergic). As far as remote access, I have telnet, SSH, VNC, FTP, terminal services, I even have a port scanner... I don't think we have to worry about remote access applications...

Edit

I was looking through the EVDO Wikipedia page which was posted, I saw this and just started laughing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    1xEV-DO is pronounced "Wun-Ex E-Vee-Dee-Oh."

Quote Originally Posted by tc600
    It's not "Force Digital Roam", but "Roaming networks only" is one of three options in the 700p:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=108
    Does anyone in this thread have a little sense? Outta here...on back to the real world...
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    It's not "Force Digital Roam", but "Roaming networks only" is one of three options in the 700p:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=108
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Does anyone in this thread have a little sense? Outta here...on back to the real world...
    I'm trying to understand what you're unhappy about?

Is it that you believe "Force Digital Roam" is a made-up term? It isn't termed that exactly, but it does seem that many Sprint phones actually have an option that enables the user to force roaming. You can see it here:

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...ming_tabA.html

Now as to whether you could port this over to the 650, that's doubtful. It's probably in the phone application and I doubt you could just copy the 700p's phone application and run it on the 650.
    Global Posts
    678 Global Posts
    force digital roam = roaming network only
    Mike G

Touch (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I'm trying to understand what you're unhappy about?

Is it that you believe "Force Digital Roam" is a made-up term? It isn't termed that exactly, but it does seem that many Sprint phones actually have an option that enables the user to force roaming. You can see it here:

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...ming_tabA.html

Now as to whether you could port this over to the 650, that's doubtful. It's probably in the phone application and I doubt you could just copy the 700p's phone application and run it on the 650.
    Not sure what that guy's deal is either, but back to the point at hand: The 700p will force roam ("Roaming Networks Only" for any sticklers out there)...which is fantastic. I am not so pessimistic about being able to port the feature over, however. The only thing that would make it impossible is if it was the radio (hardware) that made the call to switch networks rather than software. My bet (though probably clouded by wishful thinking) is that the decision to switch networks is in the software.

Sorry to anyone who feels I've hijacked this thread...moving on now....
    Quote Originally Posted by robcox
    Maybe show the features that we can and cannot emulate/replace.

- PTunes
    - SharkMsg
    - 1.3 mp camera (n/a)
    - etc.
    We need the version of Voice Memo included on the 700p!
    Quote Originally Posted by rjwerth
    Not sure what that guy's deal is either, but back to the point at hand: The 700p will force roam ("Roaming Networks Only" for any sticklers out there)...which is fantastic. I am not so pessimistic about being able to port the feature over, however. The only thing that would make it impossible is if it was the radio (hardware) that made the call to switch networks rather than software. My bet (though probably clouded by wishful thinking) is that the decision to switch networks is in the software.

Sorry to anyone who feels I've hijacked this thread...moving on now....
    thank you for doing so.
    We need the version of Voice Memo, Sharkmsg, VersaMail and .......everythings .
    All programs from the 700P's ROM can be obtained using adv.backup. This program allows you to backup to SD card. I am sure there are other programs.

The new blazer with the kimona plugins would be cool. especailly for us GSM users
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    All programs from the 700P's ROM can be obtained using adv.backup. This program allows you to backup to SD card. I am sure there are other programs.

The new blazer with the kimona plugins would be cool. especailly for us GSM users
    I tried to copy PRCs and PDBs to SD card in the simulator, but I get out of space errors at anything over about 100K... Is there any way to increase that? (I can't get an Internet connection on the simulator, so I've been trying this and hotsync/backup to extract files to no success so far.)
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    I tried to copy PRCs and PDBs to SD card in the simulator, but I get out of space errors at anything over about 100K... Is there any way to increase that? (I can't get an Internet connection on the simulator, so I've been trying this and hotsync/backup to extract files to no success so far.)

Why does it have to be in rom though? If it can't fit, then wouldn't it work if they files were in ram?

Anyway, the "Roaming only" option is great. This feature found on almost any other handset besides the Treo (at least from Sprint). I'm glad it's finally available for Sprint. I would theorize Palm finally integrated this since rumors are the Sprint will finally have data roaming options available...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Why does it have to be in rom though? If it can't fit, then wouldn't it work if they files were in ram?
    I was just trying to extract the PRCs and PDBs from the 700p simulator to install them on the 650 in RAM (despite being told that it couldn't be done).

The two ways I figured out was the simulated SD card and hotsync. The simulated sd card actually appears as a folder on my hard drive. So when I copy a file from the simulated 700p RAM to the simulated SD card, I can see the PRC or PDB file on my hard drive. The problem is that simulator seems to have a size limitation of around 100K for the simulated card.

I got a lot farther with hotsync. Again, in the 700p simulator, I used Resco Explorer to copy the relevant files from ROM to RAM. Then, in RAM, I set the backup flags for each file and deselected all the other flags. Then I hotsynced the simulator to get the files onto my hard drive.

I tried this for VoicePad and Blazer. Neither would install on my 650 using QuickInstall, so I transferred the files to sd card, and then copied to RAM. With VoicePad, I got some error about an incompatible library when I ran the app. When I tried Blazer, I ended up with a reset loop just from copying the files to RAM.

If this is possible at all, it's beyond my skill level. I'll wait until someone else figures this out...
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I had the same problem with the reset loop as soon as I copied the file to RAM.

It'd be great to get this going...maybe we could actually use ORB...my friend has a much cheaper Nokia phone which streams perfectly from ORB...urgh!
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    What are we likely to expect with this migration if we are on GSM phones? Does the 700P ROM have any specific CDMA coding that will brick a GSM phone?

If someone figures out how to move a 700P ROM over, what exactly should we expect in terms of features on our 650's?

This would be a great hold me over until the fall release of Palm's GSM version.
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptooth
    Treo 700P can sync contacts list via Exchange Active Sync. But Treo 650 can not. How can we put Treo 700P email application in Treo 650?
    If you install BlackBerry connect it'll update Versamail to v3.5, which includes Exchange Contact, Calendar and Mail syncing. Even if you don't use a BB you can still install the BB Connect update and not use the BB features....at least this is what I'm doing to get Contacts to sync.
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    This sounds very awkward. I wonder what convulated agreement Palm made with RIM necessitated the install of BB Connect to enable Contacts sync.

Once installed how much space does BB Connect use?
    Last edited by puyi; 05/28/2006 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by puyi
    This sounds very awkward. I wonder what convulated agreement Palm made with RIM necessitated the install of BB Connect to enable Contacts sync.

Once installed how much space does BB Connect use?
    BBC is really just an extension to Versamail, as is POP3, Exchange, etc support. The BBC part of the Versamail 3.5 update is only about 300kb from what I can tell, but rest of the Versamail applicaiton (including the exchange update) is about 2-3MB. The installation of BBC is two parts, one updates Versamail, the other sets up a blackberry account....I skipped the 2nd part, so I'm not sure if it would have installed anything else.
    Global Posts
    297 Global Posts
    Thanks for clarifying, now if he ROM wizards here can get this extension going on my unlocked T650 (till Palm releases the unlocked 700p or what have you) I can have native Calendar AND Contacts sync to my Exchange Server.
    So any updates on this. I would like to have the 700P 5 way toggle, keys and case on my 650.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12