1.    #1  
    I have a cingular phone and I am thinking about buying the G4850M. Will this work? Are there any problem with the GSM network?

Also what problems have people come across with this unit?? please give me your reviews. I have read all the reviews on the net and it seems like a good unit. Does anyone in Houston have one that I can look at before I buy it.

Thanks

RF
    Quote Originally Posted by rflores2323
    I have a cingular phone and I am thinking about buying the G4850M. Will this work? Are there any problem with the GSM network?

Also what problems have people come across with this unit?? please give me your reviews. I have read all the reviews on the net and it seems like a good unit. Does anyone in Houston have one that I can look at before I buy it.

Thanks

RF
    Hi RF,

The best way to get pre-sales tecnical info is to call our technical support department at: 832-204-1114. If they aren't at their desks, your call is usually returned within an hour or so. Nobody here works on any kind of commission, so there is no reason to intentionally misrepresent anything.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
    Hi RF,

I have a Cingular Treo 650 (unlocked and unbranded) and G4850M with Tomtom. I am very happy with them. I loaded all the maps on my 4Gig SD card. It works great.
  4.    #4  
    thank you. I called the tech support and they informed me that the G4850M will work for the GSM network with no problems at all. The only thing is that I cannot use a bluetooth headset with the cradle.

Another negative is that the output is only mono and not stereo... WHY wouldnt siedo make it stereo? how will this affect the sound. I was thinking of connecting directly to my aux on my car stereo instead of a FM transmitter to improve the sound qaulity. is this the way to go?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by BNickO
    Hi RF,

I have a Cingular Treo 650 (unlocked and unbranded) and G4850M with Tomtom. I am very happy with them. I loaded all the maps on my 4Gig SD card. It works great.
    I guess you did a custom ROM to get the 4 gig to work on your treo. I have unlocked my phone with the code from cingular so I am good on that.

What are some of the kinks that you have with the cradle?
    I guess you did a custom ROM to get the 4 gig to work on your treo. I have unlocked my phone with the code from cingular so I am good on that.

What are some of the kinks that you have with the cradle?
    Yes, I did custom ROM with Fat32. Not having stereo doesn't bother me. I listen to the radio most of the time when I am in the car (XM radio). Not being able to use the bluetooth headset is not a problem for me either. While in the car, I don't use the headset, I listen to XM radio in stereo. The mic that came with the cradle is not the best you can have, but it works. When you have an incoming call, you turn off the radio, answer the call on the Treo and have a hands-free conversation through the speaker on the cradle and the mic I have attached to the visor. I hope this helps.
    thank you. I called the tech support and they informed me that the G4850M will work for the GSM network with no problems at all. The only thing is that I cannot use a bluetooth headset with the cradle.

Another negative is that the output is only mono and not stereo... WHY wouldnt siedo make it stereo? how will this affect the sound. I was thinking of connecting directly to my aux on my car stereo instead of a FM transmitter to improve the sound qaulity. is this the way to go?
    Hi,

At the time we developed the 4850, we didn't have the technology to enable stereo sound. We are changing our lineup on some models to incorporate this functionality now that we have worked things out. The aux input on your car would be a MUCH better solution than the FM transmitter as far as clarity goes.

David
    davidsilver@seidio.com
    I have had the G4850M since Christmas 2005 and it is an awesome device. It works great and I just have a few observations. Sometimes it takes a while, like up to 5 minutes for it to get the GPS signal. Sometimes it gets it almost immediately and so far I havenít figured out why that happens. There is also an annoying static that comes from the speaker sometime. I donít know why that happens either and I usually ignore it, the radio drowns it out. It is only irritating when my wife is in the car and I canít listen to the music at the proper volume.
    No it won't. Well not of you wanna use a BT Headset:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/710-1.htm

"I'm a big fan of Bluetooth headsets, so I was really bummed that you cannot use a Bluetooth headset while the Treo is in the G4850M cradle if you are a GSM user (T-Mobile or Cingular). This issue does not affect Sprint and Verizon Treo owners. If you want to use a Bluetooth headset instead of the G4850M's speakerphone, you will want something like the G2350S car kit that has GPS abilities but no speaker. "
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/725-1.htm

"When I reviewed the Seidio G4850 Car Kit, the only issue I had with it was that you could not use a Bluetooth headset with a GSM Treo 650 that was in the cradle. Seidio has since released the G2350S GPS Car Kit that removes the cradle's internal speaker, making Bluetooth conversations available again. Does the loss of the speaker mean a loss of usability? Thankfully no.

When I got the G2350S, I was concerned about voice commands since it would be using the Treo's speaker. I am happy to report that voice commands were surprisingly clear and I could still hear them over my radio's volume as long as I wasn't listening to something like "Highway to Hell" (since you have to crank up the car stereo for that song)."
    To me the key feature of the Seidio 2350 is the ability to take an incoming call via the headset and having TomTom pick upon hanging up. When making a call, you do have to end TomTom but by placing a shortcut on the phone screen, you can have TT pick up right where you left off with just a tap.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eafenyes
    I have had the G4850M since Christmas 2005 and it is an awesome device. It works great and I just have a few observations. Sometimes it takes a while, like up to 5 minutes for it to get the GPS signal. Sometimes it gets it almost immediately and so far I havenít figured out why that happens. There is also an annoying static that comes from the speaker sometime. I donít know why that happens either and I usually ignore it, the radio drowns it out. It is only irritating when my wife is in the car and I canít listen to the music at the proper volume.
    I have a Cingular Treo 650 w/ the G4850M cradle and I switched from a FM transmitter to an aux input and the sound quality is much clearer. I use mine to listen to my "audible" audio books in the car, so the mono sound is not really an issue.

What I do find particularly annoying is that static feedback sound that comes from the speaker on the cradle. It seems to happen randomly and often when I am trying to make a call. I have the sound on the built-in speaker turned all the way down. I am using my car speakers and microphone mounted on the visor. Sometimes the feedback sound gets so loud that it is picked up by the microphone and disrupts the call.

The cradle is mounted to the windshield of my Liberty to the right of my steering wheel, so there is a fair bit of distance between the mike and speaker. I'm surprised Seidio didn't discover/fix this during testing by adding some sort of sheilding to keep this from happening. I sent an email to customer support (a few days ago) asking if I had a bad cradle/how to fix this, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

Other that this annoyance, I really like the cradle and GPS works very well.
    And its a nice way to charge the TReo while driving and keep it secure so its not rolling around on the passenger seat.

Thanks

-Brett