1.    #1  
    Okay, I read somewhere on the Sprint website that if you ordered PAM before May 21, you'd get unlimited use for $40. Now at best we're probably looking at end of May before anyone really has a 700p. Is anyone else thinking about going ahead and ordering the $40 PAM before the special deal expires, even though most of it would be wasted until we get a 700p? I guess if later on you found out you didn't use PAM enough to warrant the extra $20 you could always cancel it and go to the regular Powervision rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    Okay, I read somewhere on the Sprint website that if you ordered PAM before May 21, you'd get unlimited use for $40. Now at best we're probably looking at end of May before anyone really has a 700p. Is anyone else thinking about going ahead and ordering the $40 PAM before the special deal expires, even though most of it would be wasted until we get a 700p? I guess if later on you found out you didn't use PAM enough to warrant the extra $20 you could always cancel it and go to the regular Powervision rate.

This Might be a dumb Question But what is PAM
    Phone as modem
    Quote Originally Posted by flipside99
    Phone as modem

thanks
    I would hope Sprint extends the $40/month deal for an extra few months to give 700p users a chance. Sprint had a free EVDO card offer that extended several times (now $50 a card). If Sprint raises PAM to $60/month, you may as well get an EVDO laptop card since you will be able to talk and browse web at the same time. I'd guess that Sprint will not raise PAM to $60, maybe $50 if at all. Verizon, BTW, is $60/month for PAM.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I'm thinking of getting it, depending how much money it'll be on top of my SERO plan. The SERO plan alone is saving me over $30 a month anyway. I wonder what the price will be for unlimited use after the 21st though.
    BTW, EVDO plans are listed here...
    http://powervision.sprint.com/mobile...ans/index.html
    This is what is confusing. SERO plans, EVDO plans, PAM plans, Vision, power vision... Make it simple Sprint.
    ^If there were only one option, it would be the highest price. More options gives flexibility in price. That is, you are not forced to do PAM.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan
    This is what is confusing. SERO plans, EVDO plans, PAM plans, Vision, power vision... Make it simple Sprint.
    There's really only two groups here...those that want to browse the web on their phone and those that want to browse the web on their phone AND use their phone as a means to connect their laptop to the web while traveling (even around town).

SERO is simply the Sprint Employee Referral program; unless you personally know a Sprint employee...this really shouldn't even be discussed. It's cool that we know about it but it's not a listed "plan"

EvDO / Power Vision is one in the same. This enables high-speed (broadband like) on your phone to view the web. EvDO is the techies word and Power Vision is the Sprint "brand name" for it.

PAM - Phone As Modem allows you to tether (either USB wire or bluetooth) your phone to your laptop so your laptop can enjoy broadband like speeds while sitting in the middle of the park.

PCS Vision - The older 1xRTT data service that has been around for some years now. It is listed because it is still the main network speed for most handsets in use today. Granted this does add a tad confusion but it has to be listed because it would be more confusing to people if you said EvDO but 1xRTT only enabled. Dontcha think?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    I found this page that shows $40/month for PAM until 5/21 and then $50/month after that. Now this is the Business page. Hopefully they'll have a better deal for consumers on PAM or extend the offer. However, it is still cheaper than Verizon at $60/month for PAM.

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...Plan_tabA.html
    Thanks for the explanation. BTW..when paying so much for the treo 600 or 650, being able to use it as a modem was a factor. I considered it a feature of that phone. I always considered smart phones different from the samsung a900's..the standard phones. With an OS and web browser, you don't need sprint tv and all that crap (made for the standard cell phones) that's basically useless anyways. You got programs that can do this.

I don't want to pay for crap i don't need when you got a treo. Pic mail? You got email already. Games? Many palm programs for these.

Anyway, bottom line is that we're paying much for a treo because the palm os and third party programs can do so much. So why pay again for sprint tv (video), pic mail, etc. It's like trying to have uniform power vision plans for two completely different sets of customers. Those that want a a900 (or similar) to listen to music, watch videos, and mainly use as a phone. Then the smartphone folks who see the treo as much more than a phone and have different needs.

A better situation is to have break it down from smartphone plans, then basic phone plans.
    So the Vzn PAM plan is 60$ a month.... does that include the older 1xRTT dialup-speed data and EVDO use on the phone itself, or is the 60$ in addition to your existing $45?

In other words is it Vzn $45=1xRTT & EVDO
    $60=1xRTT & EVDO & PAM

or 45+60=$105.00 a month for all 3, 1xRTT & EVDO & PAM
    (Plus voice plans, text, pix plans etc.)

At the $60 a month, for the few times I'd ever tether a laptop.... I'll just record what I want on the laptop, save to SD card, and send it on my SD card from the treo itself.
    That's providing i get FTP to work o.k. on the phone, and the 5MB limit isn't a problem.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan
    Thanks for the explanation. BTW..when paying so much for the treo 600 or 650, being able to use it as a modem was a factor. I considered it a feature of that phone. I always considered smart phones different from the samsung a900's..the standard phones. With an OS and web browser, you don't need sprint tv and all that crap (made for the standard cell phones) that's basically useless anyways. You got programs that can do this.

I don't want to pay for crap i don't need when you got a treo. Pic mail? You got email already. Games? Many palm programs for these.

Anyway, bottom line is that we're paying much for a treo because the palm os and third party programs can do so much. So why pay again for sprint tv (video), pic mail, etc. It's like trying to have uniform power vision plans for two completely different sets of customers. Those that want a a900 (or similar) to listen to music, watch videos, and mainly use as a phone. Then the smartphone folks who see the treo as much more than a phone and have different needs.

A better situation is to have break it down from smartphone plans, then basic phone plans.

I absolutely agree with the breakdown regular phones vs. smartphones. I had problems with Cingular at one time...they capped their data rate on their MediaNet plan which was their all out unlimited data plan. Well, that was meant for phones. My Treo (at the time when I was with Cing) sported an advertised rate of EDGE speed which was over 100k; I was only getting 40-60k. When I called and got the right people they admitted the plan was flawed and suggested I upgrade to the data plan meant for wireless air cards. Of course this plan was more expensive $60 versus $40 and I did it out of necessity so that I could reach the *advertised* rates on my Treo 650 on Cingular. The reason for the higher cost? More usage...the data uses more channels of the cell spectrum thereby lowering the capacity...so I, in turn had to pay for that extra usage. That's where I see the reasoning behind these pricing schemes. If we didn't want the stuff...they couldn't charge for it.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    PAM plans do not include Sprint TV and other data usage . . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=51

At least, that is what a Sprint web page says . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    PAM plans do not include Sprint TV and other data usage . . . .

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=51

At least, that is what a Sprint web page says . . . .
    Actually, I think it DOES include data usage -- just not Sprint TV, text messaging and picture mail/MMS.
    First of all, let me start by saying that I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. I don't have any kind of Smartphone as of yet, but I've been waiting on the 700p, so it won't be long now. Now, onto my comment...

This is getting confusing... I see the page that Perry is pointing out and what it says, but when I go through the "regular" user webpage, select the PPC-6700 and then pick a plan, it comes to the page where I get to pick the Power Vision and PAM options. Now, I know that the pricing descrepancy has been talked about already, but I clicked on the link for the PAM description and this is what I got:

http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popu...etAsModem.html

This link says that chosing the PAM Pack, you get Picture Mail and Sprint TV (contrary to the other page). It implies that you must have the Power Vision as it refers to a per kilobyte charge above your MB limit, but it DID let me just add the PAM pack with no Vision Pack.

I know that this does nothing but add confusion to this topic, but I figured I'd throw it out there for fodder anyways. My feeling is that Sprint will probably change the pricing structure across the board real soon. I'm sure we'll all find out in the next two weeks anyways when the 700p can be added to the online shopping cart.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Sort of a sideways on-topic post here....

For those who haven't actually tethered their laptops to a Treo before -- one thing to keep in mind is that when you use your laptop as the web browser you'll see a massive increase in speed.

The Treo processor is slow compared to your laptop's (hopefully!) and making the Treo handle the data I/O plus the display of information really bogs it down.

For example -- one web site I visit frequently will fully load in about 8-10 seconds on laptop using the Treo as my modem (thanks PDAnet!). The same page, when loaded via Blazer takes about a minute....maybe a little longer.

EDVO is going to make a huge difference. I used my PPC-6700's EDVO/modem capability for only a few minutes -- but it did indeed feel like my laptop was connected to a relatively fast DSL connection. I didn't that same feeling when browsing on the 6700...but it was definitely much faster than my Treo 650.

I'm excited about how EDVO is going to change things for people like me. The speed increase -- especially the ability to do this all via BT -- is going to make my job a lot easier on a day to day basis!