Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I just ordered myself the brand new
    Plantronics Discovery™ 645 Ultimate DSP Bluetooth® Headset!!!

The 645 adds Bluetooth 2.0 and a Digital Signal Processor that reduces background noise for improved sound quality over the old Discovery 640 version that did not have DSP and used Bluetooth 1.2.

Will let you know how it works with the 700w once I get it! My current Plantronics Voyager 510 (also has DSP) is excellent but not as small or cool looking.

One of the companies I work for has a distribution agreement so I can get them for about $100/each if I order 10 or more.....if anyone is interested???
    (plus shipping of course)

Oh, and Palm has a new Palm branded version of this headset but I cant tell if its based on the 640 (boo!) or the 645...you can see it by clicking on the 700p options...based on thier price and no mention of DSP or Bluetooth 2.0 I would bet its the old 640 version...but it would of been nice to have the palm logo

http://www.palm.com/us/images/produc...als/3265WW.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    One of the companies I work for has a distribution agreement so I can get them for about $100/each if I order 10 or more.....if anyone is interested???
    Is that the same as this earphone? If so, you need a better distribution agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Is that the same as this earphone? If so, you need a better distribution agreement.
    That link is for the old 640 (without DSP).
    Let us know how it performs in a noisy environment such as wind.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Yup.. thats the old version...I'm sure it will be discontinued soon...

The treocentral store is selling the 645 for $144.00 so I dont think $100 is that bad...

The treocentral store sells the 640 for $89.95...little cheaper than bestbuy.com. Dont know what I can get the 640 for but I'm guessing about $60-70?
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    How does it compare to the JX10?
    There is some discussion over here on the same subject:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...192#post980192
    ... there is a user in that thread that has the JX-10... might ask for opinion...

A major feature that is not in the 645 is MULTIPOINT. I was very disappointed that the 645 didn't have that. This feature helped distinguish this Plantronics product line from the rest of the market.

I LOVE my 640 but the ambient noise and road noise are not well-liked by the listeners on the other end of my call. DSP is supposed to help filter that.... I'm waiting for the 645 I ordered for my wife to arrive to compare to my 640... I would have purchased the 645 for my self if it wasn't for lack of MULTIPOINT.... Did I say I was disappointed? No it's really aggravation and DSP envy!!

I'm pushing for a 650 with DSP and MULTIPOINT!!
    What is Multipoint?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Wow....Multipoint is a nice feature to have (not that I ever use it...). I'm sorry to hear it does not have it! I dont know of any other manufacture who has that feature though.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Multipoint Technology allows you to seamlessly switch between two Bluetooth® devices
    Multipoint sounds more like a geeky feature than an important one.

Al
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I've seen Cognetic post about multipoint, or lack thereof, many times. So it's obviously an important feature for him. I, however, have never even once needed the feature. I'm looking forward to hearing about the 645, and possibly getting one if it will work better than my JX10.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    I really enjoy the multipoint feature on my 510. It will connect to two BT phones and when either one rings, I can pick up. When I initiate a call from either phone, the call gets transferred to the headset.

Edit: It is disappointing to find out that the 645 does not feature multipoint, as I have one on order. The docs indicate that it will work with multiple BT devices. I hope it can at least remember it pairing with multiple devices.
    Last edited by snovvman; 05/16/2006 at 09:39 PM.
    -------Current Devices--------
    Nextel: Motorola i930, i880
    Sprint: AirPrime CDMA PCMCIA, Samsung A900M, M610, Sanyo 8400, DLX
    Cingular: SE S710a, Treo 650 Unlocked, 3125 "Startrek", Blackjack, Sync
    Verizon: Samsung SCH-i730 WM PPC, Treo 700w WM5 PPC, Sierra EVDO PCMCIA, Black Q

BT headsets: Jabra BT110, 500, JX10 II, 350V; Motorola H700, H300, H605; Palm Treo; Plantronics Voyger 510, 640e, 650e; BlueAnt X3 Micro

A2DP: Mot S9, HS820; Jabra BT8010
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    One thing to note is that the Palm branded version (whether it's a 640 or 645) uses the same charger as the Treo. The Plantronics versions have multiple adapters but there isn't an adapter for Palm.

Trivial, but it's nice to only have to use one charger.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    you may want to look at the other thread...they talk about the connector...in short certain versions of the 645 come with the palm connector.
    Just a note... the 640 that I purchased a month ago came with the Palm charging adapter and manual addendum saying they were including the Palm adapter in place of the Siemens phone adapter. It sounds like it a permenant plan. I would check the date code on the box if buying retail and get one from March on. Otherwise just call Plantronics and they should send you the Palm adapter.
    Gex or cognetic ...

what are the results... did you like this item or should I pass on it?
    When someone calls you there is atleast a 2 second delay for the call to transfer to the headset. Your caller is already saying hello, hello. This is due to the dsp having to load whereas this wasnt the case with the 640. So if this is for business dont get it. if it is for personal use it is a good choice.
    hope that helps.
    Thanks for the heads up brothermike...
    There's conflicting answers to the 645 having multipoint. These 2 links are directly from plantronics FAQ.

NO
    http://plantronics.custhelp.com/cgi-...i=&p_topview=1

YES
    http://plantronics.custhelp.com/cgi-...i=&p_topview=1

The 2nd says it's update so I think it's the most current answer out of the 2. Has anyone been able to confirm on their headset which is correct?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast