Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, so ever since the great Shadowmite freed BTDUN on the 650 ive been spoiled and hooked to free BTDUN ever since. Now i hear that i have to pay $40 bucks extra a month for it?????I dont mean to be whiny or pushy but how long do you thinki it will take Shadowmite or anyone else modify the firmware or something to fix this. the real question is will we be able still use BTDUN under 1xRTT or will EVDO keep us from ever using 1xRTT again for BTDUN purposes?
    Friggin sprint made sure they were gonna make money off us DUN users this time around
    there is always pdaNet
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81
    there is always pdaNet
    ummmm the way i hear things going in Sprint camp, I seriously doubt PDAnet will work anymore.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    PDANet won't work anymorefor Sprint? Is that a comment just for the 700p? I have an old 600 and occasionally need to use pdanet. What's the story on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by maitre
    PDANet won't work anymorefor Sprint? Is that a comment just for the 700p? I have an old 600 and occasionally need to use pdanet. What's the story on this?
    only if you have power vision enabled phone. So Treo phones except treo700P are fine with pda net.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    so does this mean that u have to pay extra for all vision (ie: surfing blazer)? or just to do DUN?
    If you have treo600 or 650 with vision plan, there isnt any problem even with pda net connecting to sprint. But if you are going to connect treo700p to POWER Vision plan, you will be charged extra per mb.

this is getting ridiculous. yet another reason not to upgrade. If I'm going to pay verizon prices for data, I might as well switch to a company that has much better coverage in my area. Way to go Sprint.
    You only pay for PAM if you want it. There is no requirement to get PAM unless you really want to tether... If I understand it correctly, the additional charge in mandatory on Verizon, but optional on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by wballz33
    this is getting ridiculous. yet another reason not to upgrade. If I'm going to pay verizon prices for data, I might as well switch to a company that has much better coverage in my area. Way to go Sprint.
    Verizon is $60/month for EVDO PAM, Sprint is currently $40/month. Given it is near broadband speeds, it's not that high. Sprint is still cheaper than Verizon for in-phone data... $15 for Sprint on Treo vs. $40 for Verizon.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by ray_in_NE
    You only pay for PAM if you want it. There is no requirement to get PAM unless you really want to tether... If I understand it correctly, the additional charge in mandatory on Verizon, but optional on Sprint.
    I think the point is that we can tether now (albeit at lower speeds) on the Treo 650 for the standard data price. So because I want a better phone with more memory and better camera, I'm going to lose this ability if I don't pay a price that's MORE THAN MY CURRENT BILL IS NOW? Sorry for the capitals there, but that's just crazy. It feels like a downgrade.

I only want to tether occasionally, probably two weekends a year. Do I have to upgrade my plan for phone as modem for those months? Can I downgrade when I'm done using it?
    Not quite sure if anyone fully answered Darth Bender's question.

What if the phone is only using 1xRTT (in an area w/o EVDO). Does the fact that the 700p is able to use EVDO make it impossible now to do 1xRTT DUN using the old Vision plan? Because, yes, that really DOES suck.
    <br>
    So you think paying 40 + 15 (55) more per month is cheap all because its EVDO now?

It's not like you can use this to replace your home broadband. It's definitely not worth the rare occasions i tether or for daily in-phone use which isn't much.
    You only pay the $40 for both PAM and in-phone or just $15 for in-phone only. Verizon is worse, $40/month for in-phone and $60/month for PAM.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Bender
    Ok, so ever since the great Shadowmite freed BTDUN on the 650 ive been spoiled and hooked to free BTDUN ever since. Now i hear that i have to pay $40 bucks extra a month for it?????I dont mean to be whiny or pushy but how long do you thinki it will take Shadowmite or anyone else modify the firmware or something to fix this. the real question is will we be able still use BTDUN under 1xRTT or will EVDO keep us from ever using 1xRTT again for BTDUN purposes?
    Friggin sprint made sure they were gonna make money off us DUN users this time around
    It was never really *free*. You had to have some type of data plan enabled on the phone for the network to at least acknowledge your request. Albeit maybe you had a $10 or $15 data plan. Shadow didn't hack the ability to get you into Sprint's network free of charge...he hacked the Treo's ROM and enabled the feature in ROM (All of the carriers had disabled it in the ROM). Thus allowing you to use DUN. Later the carriers said fine and enabled it themselves in the later ROM updates. If you really didn't have a data plan...consider yourself lucky you never got caught that is a service you are supposed to pay for even with the ROM hack.

EDIT: Or PDANet for that matter. Remember PDANet simply made DUN setup easy and you paid the $35 for their software...not free access to Sprint's network.

This won't be a possibility this time. The carriers are enabling it by default first of all. You most definitely can do DUN. The difference is the EvDO portion of the network is a little "smarter" than the old 1xRTT was...it can tell Sprint you are using data now. So, you can DUN all you want out of the box...just be ready to pay per mb or buy the PAM option w/Power Vision for $40.

We really have become a society of instant gratification and I deserve this for free. I mean whining about having to pay $40 for the PAM data plan is a little ridiculous. Have you priced Cingular's data plans lately? At least the Sprint one is BOTH Power Vision and PAM...you can a la cart this to just be PV and pay ~$15. $15 is pretty cheap people...check Verizon and Cingular...you won't beat it even at $40 for PV and PAM on Sprint. How many people have paid for wifi at Starbucks lately? Yeah, maybe EvDO isn't quite broadband as we've come to expect it...but being able to access high-speed almost anywhere? It's worth $25 extra I think...way better than $10/mo for t-mo hot spot subscription because I'm tied to being around a building where I'm usually going to spend MORE money sipping coffee.
    Last edited by xtant21; 05/16/2006 at 10:31 AM.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I think the point is that we can tether now (albeit at lower speeds) on the Treo 650 for the standard data price. So because I want a better phone with more memory and better camera, I'm going to lose this ability if I don't pay a price that's MORE THAN MY CURRENT BILL IS NOW? Sorry for the capitals there, but that's just crazy. It feels like a downgrade.

I only want to tether occasionally, probably two weekends a year. Do I have to upgrade my plan for phone as modem for those months? Can I downgrade when I'm done using it?
    Put onDemand aside...do you pay for HBO only when you want to watch a movie or do you pay for HBO two weekends out of the month? Or do you keep your HBO subscription all year? If you are doing it any other way than all year or not at all...I'm surprised they haven't stopped offering to you.

That's if you have cable and HBO...but I think you get my point.

For everyone that uses it only once in a while...pay the per mb rate or get a bundled rate plan then and watch your usage. Simple. I on the other hand will use it all of the time...my business will skyrocket with my ability to have higher speed data access at my demand. If you don't want to pay the $25 premium then don't...pay by the mb (or bunlded min) for the little bit of usage you are going to use.
    Last edited by xtant21; 05/16/2006 at 09:38 AM.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    You have good points. I'm hearing it both ways on the 40 per month including it all or just being PAM only. 40 i think i can live with. And honestly, in the past, i didn't tether too much because i know it was something not meant to be free.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Ehsan could you elaborate what exactly you heard on sprint camp?

I contact the PdaNet support and they said they had a version of PdaNet to support Treo 700p just like the old days without need for extra data plan. They said they actually helped Palm develop the tethered DUN feature on the Treo 700p.
    ^Will be intersting to see if PDANet works on the basic $15 PowerVision plan. I would think it would appear as in-phone use only to Sprint.
    If you look on Sprint's site now, it lists $25 as the cost of Phone as Modem for a PPC-6700 smartphone. Can anyone reconcile this with the $49.99 for PAM mentioned in this Treocentral article: http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/816-1.htm ?

Why is there a $25 PAM unlimited charge for the PPC-6700 but a reported $50 PAM unlimited charge for the 700p?

Damon
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast