Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Folks,

I read this entire thread and am a 650 user on Cingular (which I hate). I am looking forward to switching back to Sprint.

When Sprint released EvDO they modified many of the phones to be able to detect if the connection was made by the phone, or a laptop connecting via the phone. The 6700 which I tested for a month was the last one that had firmware that could connect either way. If you read the 6700 forums, it seems that the latest firmware upgrade allows Sprint to detect the connection type.

When the 700P is released with Sprint's PAM option, they will be able to detect laptop usage and charge differently for it. However, someone (PDANet or another company) will quickly release a product that allows the phone to connect to PowerVision/EvDO using the phone's connection parameters for your laptop so you will not have to pay extra for it.

Sprint may monitor usage and bust folks that are using tons of data bandwidth connected to a laptop, but the traveling users who occasionally need this option won't have to worry.

So I would recommend waiting until the phone is released and seeing what options are out there. You WILL be able to occasionally tether your laptop and not have to pay extra for it. Sprint won't be able to tell if a third party option uses the same connection parameters as the data connection for the phone.

I am looking forward to the 700P on Sprint. It will be a nice upgrade to the 650, and I canít wait to leave Cingular. Consumer Reports surveys found AT&T / Cingular to be the worst in just about every market. I have had Verizon and Sprint in the past and the data connections are much faster and there are so many less dropped calls. With EvDO the 700P will be awesome on Sprint.

Glenn
    No matter what...we all by choice will have to pay for DUN, unless otherwise hacked. Verizon has been challenged by Sprint with lower data costs for Power Vision in comparison. We all reaped the benifits of $10 to $15 dallars for data with Sprint. Sprints going to get that money saved back with allowing DUN...I knew this was too much of a good thing that will end, unlike Verizon who doesn't allow tethering, and disabled it on the device, in which they charge more for data.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I have a hard time relying on the third party option until it happens. I have been waiting for the wifi SD card support from a third party since the Treo 600 (it said on the box that it could be done by a third party). So until it's out there, it's vaporware to me. Now PDANet says it's going to release something and they haven't let us down in the past. Let's just hope there's not a legal issue with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I have a hard time relying on the third party option until it happens. I have been waiting for the wifi SD card support from a third party since the Treo 600 (it said on the box that it could be done by a third party). So until it's out there, it's vaporware to me. Now PDANet says it's going to release something and they haven't let us down in the past. Let's just hope there's not a legal issue with it.
    I bet there will be...
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456