Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 104
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203
    PAM is $40 if you sign up before 5/21 and $49 if you sign up after, it includes powervision unlimited,unlimited picture mail, sprint tv.
    I don't think those are included..


    Unlimited PAM Data Plan
    For customers who rely heavily on data services.
    Take advantage of a special offer: Sign up for the Unlimited PAM Data Plan if you have a voice plan with Sprint and pay only $39.99 a month! Sign up by 05/21/06 to lock into this great price.
    Per Month $49.99
    Included Usage Unlimited
    Minimum two-year Sprint wireless agreement required
    Corporate-sponsored subscribers are eligible to receive a $150 PCS Service Credit for two-year Sprint wireless agreement
    $39.99 Unlimited Data Plan: Corporate and government discounts are not available. Separate Sprint wireless phone voice subscription required.
    Text Messaging, Picture Mail/MMS, and Sprint TV become attachable products not included in Phones as Modem rate plans.
    Specifics on Sprint's terms and conditions.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    Question...not mine but I've been tied up in a discussion regarding your last sentence. Some people feel that paying for any data plan is enough and should cover their tethering since it has in the past and that having tethering be a $25 extra option is gouging. So other than what I have tried to explain...can you give a more compelling reason for why charging for that particular service is justified over what everyone used to have? Everyone is so used to paying $10 or $15 and being able to do everything that many of them are balking at having to pay $25 to tether...especially the casual tether user. Just wondering if you can help that out a bit. Thanks dude.
    I think I was one that proposed this. I started a poll and 70% of the people prefer the way it works on the Treo 650, even with the slower speeds.

    I would be one that expressed disappointment with the $25 price. I think $25 is cheap if it's for a businessman or for someone that uses it say 10 times a month. I used it 3 times last year, so for me it's gouging. From what I can tell from the poll that extra $25 would be gouging as well. In fact, because the date seems to be expiring on the $40 rate, it's really closer to $35 for everyone.

    I'm only about 60% upset about not getting what we had before. The other 40% is that there's pricing plan for the casual user. Lots of people suggested a $5 a day or a $/MB plan, but I don't see it from Sprint.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    I don't think those are included..

    Unlimited PAM Data Plan
    For customers who rely heavily on data services.
    Interesting, so what about the rest of us that rely heavily on data services but would like to use them?
  4. xtant21's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I think I was one that proposed this. I started a poll and 70% of the people prefer the way it works on the Treo 650, even with the slower speeds.

    I would be one that expressed disappointment with the $25 price. I think $25 is cheap if it's for a businessman or for someone that uses it say 10 times a month. I used it 3 times last year, so for me it's gouging. From what I can tell from the poll that extra $25 would be gouging as well. In fact, because the date seems to be expiring on the $40 rate, it's really closer to $35 for everyone.

    I'm only about 60% upset about not getting what we had before. The other 40% is that there's pricing plan for the casual user. Lots of people suggested a $5 a day or a $/MB plan, but I don't see it from Sprint.
    I am starting to cede the point on this. I was asking for shadows input because he seems to have a similar initial impression of the PAM option as I did. He states he feels they have a right to charge for the service. But over a few beers last night and being more philosophical about it I'm wondering the same. Why $25 now...who came up with that price point? How about just increasing the price of the power vision plan $5 across the board (everyone would feel that is ok...it's faster than PCS vision) leave PCS vision alone at $10 or $15 and everyone is happy. You get $5 extra bucks out of everyone which I think would translate to more revenue than $25 for those that want to tether and irritating the casual users. I think that would have netted a better financial result and happier people.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    I don't think those are included..


    Unlimited PAM Data Plan
    For customers who rely heavily on data services.
    Take advantage of a special offer: Sign up for the Unlimited PAM Data Plan if you have a voice plan with Sprint and pay only $39.99 a month! Sign up by 05/21/06 to lock into this great price.
    Per Month $49.99
    Included Usage Unlimited
    Minimum two-year Sprint wireless agreement required
    Corporate-sponsored subscribers are eligible to receive a $150 PCS Service Credit for two-year Sprint wireless agreement
    $39.99 Unlimited Data Plan: Corporate and government discounts are not available. Separate Sprint wireless phone voice subscription required.
    Text Messaging, Picture Mail/MMS, and Sprint TV become attachable products not included in Phones as Modem rate plans.
    Specifics on Sprint's terms and conditions.
    Do you have a link for this? Can't find it on Sprint's site.

    <edit> found it: http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...Plan_tabA.html

    Does anyone know if this can be added to a personal account?

    I'm currently using a Sprint data card for $60 monthly unlimited. Only 2 months into the 2 year contract. I cancel, pay the ETF, use PAM ($50 month), overall savings, $70 over the 22 months.
    Worth making the change? One less thing to carry around. $70 buys me a night at Wrigley Field.
    If I remember correctly, with EVDO I can tether and make / receive calls?

    Thanks,
    Last edited by ScaryHumor; 05/17/2006 at 11:17 AM.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    I am starting to cede the point on this. I was asking for shadows input because he seems to have a similar initial impression of the PAM option as I did. He states he feels they have a right to charge for the service. But over a few beers last night and being more philosophical about it I'm wondering the same. Why $25 now...who came up with that price point? How about just increasing the price of the power vision plan $5 across the board (everyone would feel that is ok...it's faster than PCS vision) leave PCS vision alone at $10 or $15 and everyone is happy. You get $5 extra bucks out of everyone which I think would translate to more revenue than $25 for those that want to tether and irritating the casual users. I think that would have netted a better financial result and happier people.
    I like that $5 a month for everyone plan. I would be happy there. Sprint has done a good of offering flexible pricing in the past. I just hope they do this now. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be something where 50 TreoCentral users complain, which doesn't amount to a whisper in Sprint's ear.
  7. #67  
    I disagree. The majority of Ev-DO phone users (which will someday be the majority of phones offered by Sprint) don't care about DUN, so they shouldn't subsidize the few who do need it. That said, I think it's silly that someone can use gobs of MB with streaming radio and video on a phone for $15/month and someone else who is going to tether for businessy things might use less bandwidth but get charged more.

    I think a smart model (which they probably can't technically do) would be to charge different rates for different speeds, sort of like how DSL offers three different speeds at three price points.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  8. spotter's Avatar
    Posts
    316 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    #68  
    All someone has to do to make this work is right a proxy that runs on the treo as a normal internet based app (i.e. what pdanet does, but from the way shadow says it, they might be playing nice w/ sprint and having it drop the regular connection and dial the pam conncetion)

    basically one would then have a "fake" ethernet/ppp driver that tunnels all traffic over bt/usb, which the proxy program gets and then resends out over the palm's network connection.

    when data comes in, it turns around and send it back out the same.

    people have done this before, so it's not "difficult" (as in solving unknown problem), but "difficult" in that I'm unsure how to make all the pieces fit together easily.

    another way to do it, would basically be to port pppd to palmos. that would in truth probably be the most portable solution, as many things support ppp on the client side. If one could figure out how to run linux on the 700p and figure out how to use the evdo radio from linux (and authenticate appropriately), this approach could be very simple (presuming the evdo radio would be a network device)
  9. #69  
    Okay so we'd just need to move all the drivers and apps to linux? Hmm, that sound difficult. I like the other idea of a proxy a lot easier. However, it seems like sometimes the "easy" sounding things down turn out that way. It seems easy to port a wifi driver. In practice, it's a lot of work.
  10. spotter's Avatar
    Posts
    316 Posts
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    #70  
    porting a wifi driver is hard.

    writing a proxy is relatively easy. the hard part is how you integrate it client side. I'm unsure how it would be done on windows, in linux you'd probably use a tun/tap device.

    i.e. just need to be able to speak to the network. ptunes can, pssh can, if they can, a proxy can.

    put it this way, if people can tunnel network traffic over dns, we can tunnel over the treo.
  11. hova's Avatar
    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    If you have treo600 or 650 with vision plan, there isnt any problem even with pda net connecting to sprint. But if you are going to connect treo700p to POWER Vision plan, you will be charged extra per mb.

    But doesnt PDAnet work on the 700w? It's advertised on their website.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
  12. #72  
    700w is a different operating system. I'm not sure how that plays out in the Palm OS word.
  13. novice's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #73  
    Anyone has the Treo 700p already? PdaNet is already under beta testing according to the read me link:

    http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/700p.php

    I don't think you will be billed. The PPC 6700 must be using the same EVDO modem hardware as the Treo 700p (both from QCOM if i am right).
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by hova
    But doesnt PDAnet work on the 700w? It's advertised on their website.
    PDAnet does work on the 700w. I've been using it for years on different models of the Treo but not abusing it to the point where I'm moving GBs of data. The big point to remember is that regardless of carrier, they want to be reimbursed if you are using the phone as modem. The carriers are also getting much more sophisticated in tracking data usage and charging for it. Bottom line is that like any business, VZW and Sprint are out to turn achieve a return on their investment in 3G data....EVDO Rev. A does not come cheap across a network
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by novice
    Anyone has the Treo 700p already? PdaNet is already under beta testing according to the read me link:

    http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/700p.php

    I don't think you will be billed. The PPC 6700 must be using the same EVDO modem hardware as the Treo 700p (both from QCOM if i am right).
    This is truly great news. I would prefer to pay Sprint on a per day or per MB (if I can get a fair rate, not $60 for going to ESPN.com) basis for my occasional use. However, if Sprint doesn't want to make a reason option for the occasional DUN user and someone else is offering a competing system, I will be there.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    Question...not mine but I've been tied up in a discussion regarding your last sentence. Some people feel that paying for any data plan is enough and should cover their tethering since it has in the past and that having tethering be a $25 extra option is gouging. So other than what I have tried to explain...can you give a more compelling reason for why charging for that particular service is justified over what everyone used to have? Everyone is so used to paying $10 or $15 and being able to do everything that many of them are balking at having to pay $25 to tether...especially the casual tether user. Just wondering if you can help that out a bit. Thanks dude.
    The problem methinks is abuse or multimedia use depending on how you want to classify it. Bandwidth cost money. It's conceivable to provide everyone with tethering ability to do e-mail, text and other such communication as is "needed".....but once people start using it as a "wow look at this" entertainment device, doing music, movies and that sort of thing 14 hours a day, bandwidth requirements soar. ya probably could keep 100 people in text communication and casual web use in the bandwidth of one shoutcast user for example.

    The fairest system would be one price for unlimited e-mail / web usage and another for multimedia usage. Personally I'd prefer a xx Gig / month of traffic plan like the voice plans with rollover.
  17. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by PDANet
    For this reason June Fabrics Technology will continue to provide a version of PdaNet for the Treo 700p that will go through the same data plan on your Treo 700p. You can install PdaNet and get connected on your laptop immediately just like the old days. This advanced version will support EVDO and even optimize the network settings on your computer to burst EVDO throughput so that your laptop can get true broadband speed. It will also continue to support Bluetooth if laptop has it.
    I can't wait. Thank you, JFT!
  18. #78  
    Guys, for those of you who think it's unfair that they now want to charge, let me remind you, it's ALWAYS been against the sprint TOS rules to tether, period. Although you might have been getting it free, it was always a loophole. Granted they left it open, but they are now setting the closing point of that loophole. Take it or leave it, they have the right to charge for this option as it's their network. I'm 100% certain a few easy hacks will emerge that can re-open the loophole on this device. Heck, junefabrics can just route the data as a "proxy". But I won't be a part of those hacks. I didn't like them disabling a feature the phone was advertised to have on the 650, but as for charging for a feature, they have that right.
  19. #79  
    The first part of PDANet's statement was:
    Quote Originally Posted by PDANet
    Palm Inc. came to us for a solution to support Tethered Dialup Networking on the Treo 700p and we proudly delivered that. This solution is now bundled with your carrier-specific Connection Manager software which you can get out-of-the-box. However, even though the software is provided for free, it does not go through the same data plan that you are already paying for on your Treo 700p. Your cell phone carrier will most likely require you to sign up for an extra data plan in order to successfully connect from your laptop.
    So if PDANet worked with Palm and developed the PAM solution either they are in serious breach of their contract with Palm or there's no legal problem for them to sell this to us and for us to use it? I mean you don't partner with Palm and then advertise on your website that you are going to do something illegal. I would lean towards this isn't as big of a deal if JF is able to sell it to us.
  20. novice's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    #80  
    It is fine for JF to sell the software as long as they own it. It is us who uses the software could violate the contract, which is true on all carriers ever since PAM exists anyway :-)
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions