Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Everyone is talking about using PDANet. The answer to my question may be obvious, but what about using bluetooth DUN which is built-in to the the Sprint Treo and works without PDANet? I am assuming that the answer is the same, if you get a 700P you will have to pay for PAM.

I think I am in the camp of being unhappy with the situation. I know I have a sweet deal with the $80/2000minutes/unlimited data plan, but I only use PAM when I am on travel which is only a few times a year. When I do it is essential. Having to pay 50% more for something that Sprint has been giving me for free for so long and that I only use on occasion just seems wrong to me.

If there is no other option, the 700p will not be on my Christmas list for some time to come.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    >>Power Vision system will detect data used using Treo as modem and will charge per >>mb rates that will posted to your account
    Not true, I have a PPC 6700 with Sprint EVDO, have been tethering all the time without any issues.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I plan to move my phenomenal grandfathered plan to that phenomenal $30 SERO plan.

I also would get use of the 1.3MP camera, the bigger cache and updated apps on the Treo 700P.

Of course, I have the option of sticking to the old phone, but who would do that for the two weekends a year I want to tether? I mean give up a lot of functionality year round for two weekends? That doesn't sound like a good option to me.

What percentage of people would really tether every day? I know about 5 people who have tethered and they are all once or twice while on vacation or something similar. Why don't the small minority that want EVDO on their laptops just get a Sprint business card? Do you really think that Sprint is using tethering as a way to force people to upgrade to EVDO?

I don't think we've been lucky under the radar with DUN under 1xRTT. It was a firmware upgrade released. They wouldn't have released it if they didn't want it to be used.
    The SERO plan is cool...if you only use that amount of minutes. I use far too many minutes for the SERO plan...so I'm stuck. No choice for me.

1.3 megapixel camera...yep they got the megapixel right...did they make the lens any better? More megapixel + bad lens = shows how bad the lens is better. I hope this isn't the case but the test shots I've seen from test phones haven't been promising. We'll see...jury is still out. The other stuff yeah it is a nice upgrade.

The area that you travel to...just make sure EvDO isn't available but 1xRTT is and you're all set. haha...sorry just joking.

I think there are more people tethering than you think. PDANet has made a very lucrative business over it. And those of us that want tethering...we do so for the same reason you bought a treo...converge devices. Why should I have to lug around an aircard and pay for a completely separate service that I don't get any discount on because it isn't attached to a voice plan? I don't think tethering is how they are forcing you to upgrade to EvDO...I think not offering the PCS Vision plan on a Power Vision phone is how. They seem to only be allowing a power vision phone to use PCS vision speed whenever EvDO isn't available...it should be user selectable. I know the internals of the radio will want to grab the fastest signal (due to sprint programming) but leave that program as an option to the user...I am with you here, bro.

You kind of proved my point there...by not enabling DUN from the get-go they were trying to quell the use of DUN to begin with...i.e. this was not meant to be a feature. Let me clarify...it was not meant to be a feature of the carriers...Palm obviously thought it was a good idea but the carriers balked...thus the ROM block. The fact that some enterprising individuals have hacked past their lock-down was not planned either. Once they lost the battle of the wills they realized they might as well just allow it because it's use was already rampant and people were screaming for it by the masses (i.e. more people are tethering than you think). Now to quell it again (or at least to turn a profit on it)...enter the networks ability to snoop you doing this and charge you for it. Again...data uses more bandwidth than voice...they are going to charge you for it if they can...and now they can find you so they can. Also, people tend to use data more when they have higher speed access thus the fear that tethering could cripple the network; don't think so ask the wireline guys what happened when we went from dial-up to broadband...traffic soared.

Do I agree with it? No...I too would love to be paying $10 for data and go data bonkers downloading the web to my PC but I also understand the business side of it and realize...someone has to pony up to help fund the network and the future upgrades. I'm just (so far) happy Sprint hasn't really taken advantage of us (you'll disagree I'm sure) but Sprint is still far more reasonable than the likes of VZW and Sin-gular.
    Last edited by xtant21; 05/16/2006 at 01:33 PM.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    I don't think an aircard is that big when it's in the laptop no? I mean an antenna sticks out? And you wouldn't have to mess with pairing the Bluetooth or a cable or making sure it's charged. As for not having a voice plan, couldn't you have it on the same account with your phone? If not Sprint needs to restructure their plans to allow for that.

I have a poll about tethering. I think far fewer are tethering than you think. I personally know about 8 people with Treo's and I'm the only one that has tried it.

I'd also say that Sprint TV and streaming radio would use as much or more data than tethering and it's not going to cost me extra per month (assuming I use PTunes to stream music). If they want people to pay for network and future upgrades, I say fine. Charge everyone $5-10 more for in-phone EVDO. At least that's consistant and it's not gauging people who only use it occasionally.

Or as someone suggested in another thread, offer a $5 a day plan for tethering for those of us who are occassional users. And in that poll I started about 78% of the people are just occassional users or don't tether at all. 66% right now would choose to stick with the slower data at the same price.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I don't think an aircard is that big when it's in the laptop no? I mean an antenna sticks out? And you wouldn't have to mess with pairing the Bluetooth or a cable or making sure it's charged. As for not having a voice plan, couldn't you have it on the same account with your phone? If not Sprint needs to restructure their plans to allow for that.

I have a poll about tethering. I think far fewer are tethering than you think. I personally know about 8 people with Treo's and I'm the only one that has tried it.

I'd also say that Sprint TV and streaming radio would use as much or more data than tethering and it's not going to cost me extra per month (assuming I use PTunes to stream music). If they want people to pay for network and future upgrades, I say fine. Charge everyone $5-10 more for in-phone EVDO. At least that's consistant and it's not gauging people who only use it occasionally.

Or as someone suggested in another thread, offer a $5 a day plan for tethering for those of us who are occassional users. And in that poll I started about 78% of the people are just occassional users or don't tether at all. 66% right now would choose to stick with the slower data at the same price.
    True an aircard is not that big...but it is another device to carry around that I shouldn't have to if I have the accessibility in my phone. Why have to keep track of it when I shouldn't have to. If I'm going to keep it in my bag (LAN at work and/or home) then it'd be easier to grab my Treo off the hip and hit BT connect than to go find the bag and the card.

Oh and believe me I agree that every carrier needs to restructure their plans with the data usages in mind. It needs an overhaul they haven't really changed the way they do this since like 1999 or 2000 when data was first possible on phones.

Ok agreed...we can go back and forth over the idea of how many people are tethering. I've got more than 8 people that I know tether...I taught them all how and they use it every day. Aside from that...a lot of people just don't understand it and it is (somewhat) harder to do than most people are willing to try. I mean people think they are computer experts because they can find the control panel in Windows. Let's be real. When it becomes easier and people understand it better...there's only going to be more people doing it...not less. The Treo isn't the only phone that can tether...I can tether a nextel to a laptop too don't forget.

And last...I like your idea on how to solve the problem...charge for in-phone EvDO use. I agree with you...I think Sprint had the right idea...give them data for $10-$15 a month and be honest about it. Increasing their rates does add an air of gouging into the mix. We both agree technology costs dollars and I think that's where they are nailing us...I, like you, would just rather see them continue the honest approach and charge us one rate for everything and make it an honest rate for crying out loud. I hope Sprint isn't hiring managers from VZW and Cingular...it'll only get worse.

My original post in here wasn't geared to someone like yourself...you have a very unique use of the feature and I feel for you in how you use it; it's not a normal usage pattern. I believe Sprint's mindset was someone like yourself would be a per minute candidate...but what is the per minute rate and how bad will that gouge you during your two weeks? That is the question and Sprint's lack of understanding of everyone's usage and/or needs.
    Last edited by xtant21; 05/16/2006 at 02:30 PM.
    Hello as a long time treocentral reader, I don't post much because usually my questions are answered by others so not really needed to repeat. But I've spoke to the retention department about upgrading to the treo 700p because i currently have the 650. And still have the grandfathered $10 vision with unlimited sms. I was told as long as buy the phone at full price and dont recieve any upgrade rebates and just do an esn swap. I can keep my current plan, and recieve evdo service in areas available. Because they pulledup my acct. and saw that I have alot of drop calls and roam alot, it wouldnt make any sence to increase my plan if i barely get a voice service now on there network. As far as tethering charges i didnt ask. But payin full price for the phone and saving $20 - $40 a month extra i see it very much worth it.
    Interesting, that's pretty cool. I will have to look into that as I have the $10 vision with unlimited SMS as well. I had been thinking of going with a SERO plan, but now I have to price it out.
    Yea I was thinking of going with a sero plan, but i missed out on the free unlimited sms that was included with it now its $15 for unlmited sms so imma stick wit my grandfathered plan because i use anywhere from 2000 - 4000 texts a month. And wait around to see if people that use PDAnet are charged extra when they use there 700p.
    I have had the 300, 600, and presently the 650. I was very excited at the pending release of the 700P, but with the plan pricing for DUN I will keeping my 650.
    I pay $111 per month (all taxes included) with three phones on my plan. 2000 anytime, free sprint to sprint, free nights & weekends begining at 7 PM. I also have free unlimited vision on all 3 phones, and unlimited text on all 3. I tether maybe once a week, a little more when I go out of town. I like to have the tethering option, but I don't use it enough to pay the new pricing. So unfortunately, I will be staying with the 650. I would like to have the newest gadget. The price of the 700 is not the problem, but the price of the power vision is. I don't want to screw up the great deal I have now. Maybe sprint will make changes to their power vision plans down the road, as they did when vision first came out years ago.
    If Orb ever gets the video streaming to the 650, I'll be fine.
    What ever you want, get it done at www.esitebid.com. Where competition bids value!
    It will work fine with pdanet once they fix their app to do it. However, it'll also be built into the phone. The problem is this device will actually use different radius logins for the phone connection vs the bluetooth or usb connection. Thus, they can and WILL track the fact you tethered. I strongly warn people to stick with the 650 or the ppc-6700 if you want free tethering abilities. All future devices will be trackable when they are tethering. (Well, without a hack that is. And I don't plan to hack that, they have a right to charge for the service.)
    Shadow, can you comment on an idea I posted either in this thread or some other thread here...do you think it would be possible for a Palm OS developer to create an app/hack to force the 700p into "classic" Vision (non-Ev-DO) mode? And, if so, would it be accurate to say that Sprint would not be able to detect that you were using DUN when in this mode?

If so, the speed would obviously suck, but for casual "tetherers" it might be of interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    And I don't plan to hack that, they have a right to charge for the service.)
    \

Shadowmite, I've read alot about you on these forums, and as impressed as I've been with your abilities to hack, I am even more impressed by this statement. Props to you, sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Shadow, can you comment on an idea I posted either in this thread or some other thread here...do you think it would be possible for a Palm OS developer to create an app/hack to force the 700p into "classic" Vision (non-Ev-DO) mode? And, if so, would it be accurate to say that Sprint would not be able to detect that you were using DUN when in this mode?

If so, the speed would obviously suck, but for casual "tetherers" it might be of interest.
    Nope, I'm sorry to say regardless of your data mode the phone is actually logging into the network with a different identifier based on the connection type. For instance me@sprintpcs.com vs me@usb.sprintpcs.com or me@bt.sprintpcs.com. Thus the device tells the sprint accounting system you are on a tether. It can then track your kb usage as needed to bill for it.

I'm not using the actual names they'll be using here. I've only have a general breifing on how all this works. To my knowledge the a900 was the first device to attempt implementing this, and all future devices should have it. The ppc-6700 and older are the devices that won't get that update.
    Great info. I'm surprised, though, that you say that the 6700 "won't" be getting that update. The 6700 is an "updateable" phone (in fact, they recently had an update for it), so wouldn't Sprint be pushing (no pun intended) for this to be "fixed"? Or is there something about WM5 that doesn't allow them to have it send the different types of logins to their network?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Oh...one more thing...do you have any insider info about the SERO plan and whether phone-as-modem will be available with that? Last I heard is 'no'. Also, will the "phone-as-modem" option (non-SERO) offer *unlimited* tethered data for the forseeable future (I once heard that tethered usage would be limited to 20MB/month)?
    Hmm, I dunno on the longevity of the PAM unlimited plan. I would venture a guess, as long as it kicks verizons **** they'll do it. Also, I "heard" that the pam option could be added to the sero plan as a option code, but I don't know that for certain.

Lastly, the 6700 was simply the last phone out before they decided they wanted to implement this tracking. It would require a major update from UTstarcom which they would have to pay for. As it is they are accepting the minor updates which the manufacturer provides. But they don't want to pay for a major.
    Thanks again, Shadow. Great info! So what are you using these days (or planning to get)? IIRC, you were thinking of going with a Sprint 700w if/when that was offered, right?
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    It will work fine with pdanet once they fix their app to do it. However, it'll also be built into the phone. The problem is this device will actually use different radius logins for the phone connection vs the bluetooth or usb connection. Thus, they can and WILL track the fact you tethered. I strongly warn people to stick with the 650 or the ppc-6700 if you want free tethering abilities. All future devices will be trackable when they are tethering. (Well, without a hack that is. And I don't plan to hack that, they have a right to charge for the service.)
    Question...not mine but I've been tied up in a discussion regarding your last sentence. Some people feel that paying for any data plan is enough and should cover their tethering since it has in the past and that having tethering be a $25 extra option is gouging. So other than what I have tried to explain...can you give a more compelling reason for why charging for that particular service is justified over what everyone used to have? Everyone is so used to paying $10 or $15 and being able to do everything that many of them are balking at having to pay $25 to tether...especially the casual tether user. Just wondering if you can help that out a bit. Thanks dude.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Shadow, are you at liberty to say whether or not current ROM editing tools still work on the 700p or is it going to require some changes? (i.e. the bootloader change to cripple the ROM tool in the 650 at one time)
    Last edited by xtant21; 05/16/2006 at 11:29 PM.
    Here a suggestion that might be appropriate for some: particularly those who would use DUN / PAM tethering regularly enough to rack up a decent bill in pay-per-MB charges, but who don't need EVDO Speeds or want to have the extra $40 on your bill every month. This is really only appropriate if there's no way to force the 700p to default to the 1XRTT network to use DUN the way you do now in conjunction with BT DUN or PDA Net. Appartently that will not be possible. [Edited based on Shadowmite's answer above which explains that the billing system will know even if the phone is on standard Vision 1xrtt].

How about keeping your 600 / 650 and adding it as a line of service with a new phone # (Line #2 is free in many cases, I think). Assuming you can keep grandfathered standard Vision access (also free for many legacy plans), your monthly cost is $0 for tethering access using that 2nd line. Only drawback is needing to travel with the old device.
    Last edited by greenawayj; 05/17/2006 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Shadow's comment's a few posts up
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast