Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    This is confusing. I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, if you use BT DUN like we currently do with the Treo 650 do we need to sign up for PAM? I use BT DUN with my Treo 650 and Powerbook and have the basic $15 plan, if you want this feature do you have to sign up for PAM?
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by novice
    Ehsan could you elaborate what exactly you heard on sprint camp?

I contact the PdaNet support and they said they had a version of PdaNet to support Treo 700p just like the old days without need for extra data plan. They said they actually helped Palm develop the tethered DUN feature on the Treo 700p.
    It is not that PdaNet wont work on Treo700P but, Power Vision system will detect data used using Treo as modem and will charge per mb rates that will posted to your account. What I am told is, this time it is hard to fool EVDO system sprint have in effect and that is why they openly offering PAM. What i am told is you will get information on your bill which will post Mb of data used on phone (separately) and as modem (separately) even you have unlimited PAM option. So bottom line is Sprint are VERY confident that nobody will able to cheat their Power Vision system.
    As per regular vision, it still remains same as far as i know. Sorry to deliever bad news.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    This is confusing. I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, if you use BT DUN like we currently do with the Treo 650 do we need to sign up for PAM? I use BT DUN with my Treo 650 and Powerbook and have the basic $15 plan, if you want this feature do you have to sign up for PAM?
    If you plan to use EvDO...absolutely.

Remember people PDANet did nothing more than enable DUN when it was a disabled feature...you paid your $35 for their software...not the ability to have free unabated access to data services. You should have had a data plan (like you said Jimmie $15) to access the data portion of the Sprint network. What PDANet did so well was made it easy to get DUN working for you...the software did all of the magic rather than try to figure out the hundreds of inaccurate posts explaining how to do it without PDANet.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    Thanks for the clarification. I won't be getting PAM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    So far Sprint is not able to or, not wanted to catch it if its regular vision plan (old one). But EVDO (sprint power vision, that will be on Treo700p) they (sprint) have system that will easily detect Treo700P used as modem (through BT DUN) and will charge you per Mb even though you have regular POWER VISION plan.
    So to me I am still to use Treo650 BT DUN without any fear (even though its against sprint policy under which Vision plan is). For Treo700P......freedom is at price
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    I am confused to. I reworded the article until I get better information.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    I am confused to. I reworded the article until I get better information.
    Wow. Thanks. Keep us posted. Personally i think we will see dedicated power vision plans for Treo700P, but i could be wrong

what about streaming audio using ptunes on the 700 would that be considered in phone use or PAM?
    Treoing & Loving it
    I'm glad I'm not the only one confused I would miss using BT DUN with the 700p, but not enough to pay that much to use it.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    We really have become a society of instant gratification and I deserve this for free. I mean whining about having to pay $40 for the PAM data plan is a little ridiculous. Have you priced Cingular's data plans lately? At least the Sprint one is BOTH Power Vision and PAM...you can a la cart this to just be PV and pay ~$15. $15 is pretty cheap people...check Verizon and Cingular...you won't beat it even at $40 for PV and PAM on Sprint. How many people have paid for wifi at Starbucks lately? Yeah, maybe EvDO isn't quite broadband as we've come to expect it...but being able to access high-speed almost anywhere? It's worth $25 extra I think...way better than $10/mo for t-mo hot spot subscription because I'm tied to being around a building where I'm usually going to spend MORE money sipping coffee.

Put onDemand aside...do you pay for HBO only when you want to watch a movie or do you pay for HBO two weekends out of the month? Or do you keep your HBO subscription all year? If you are doing it any other way than all year or not at all...I'm surprised they haven't stopped offering to you.

That's if you have cable and HBO...but I think you get my point.

For everyone that uses it only once in a while...pay the per mb rate or get a bundled rate plan then and watch your usage. Simple. I on the other hand will use it all of the time...my business will skyrocket with my ability to have higher speed data access at my demand. If you don't want to pay the $25 premium then don't...pay by the mb (or bunlded min) for the little bit of usage you are going to use.
    I combined a couple of quotes here. I don't think it's whining too much about $40 a month when my total bill is $40 a month now, and looks to be about $30 when I move to SERO. I've had a $10 data plan (grandfathered) for years now, so that's what I'm used to. Upgrading a phone shouldn't take away what I enjoy now. I'll be happy to make a deal with Sprint that when I tether, I'll tether at the non-EVDO speed if they allow me. Will they allow me to though? I hear you with the per MB charge. Again, I don't pay per MB now, so can I just have what I have now without the per MB charge?

Your HBO example is flawed. 1) If you just wanted to watch two HBO original movies a year (what I want to do with tethering), I would totally order it for the month and drop it. HBO allows me to do this and wouldn't try to change my contract or re-up me for two years or anything like that. 2) I have the service now. It would be like HBO bringing on a new show and then raising their rates 400%. I just want the old shows (i.e. non-EVDO data) that I already watch (on the Treo 650) for the price that I already pay ($10-$15 a month) on a new TV (Treo 700P). I'm not looking for a free ride or anything.

I'm not alone. I just talked with a co-worker and he's thinking the same thing. Tethering is nice when on travel, but it's not a year round thing for him.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    what about streaming audio using ptunes on the 700 would that be considered in phone use or PAM?
    No. That is Power Vision data usage.

The only time it is PAM is when your laptop is using your phone as a modem. Via USB cable or Bluetooth.
    i agree with bmacfarland, and I'm happy to pay full price for the upgraded phone. And I wouldn't be so sure about streaming data, that's going to use just as much if not more broadband than a typical user's PAM.

You also can't compare the PAM pricing to regular broadband or EVDO on a computer as it is not nearly as convenient (can't use the phone) and limits networking.
    Plus my broadband is typically 10 times faster. And some DSL services are half the price - $20.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I don't have a PAM package with my PPC-6700. I tether occasionally through DUN or USB. You don't get EvDO speeds when you tether with DUN. With USB I can steadily download at 100-125KBps. I wonder if the Treo 700p will conenct DUN at the EvDO speeds. Not 100% sure if when using DUN it is really only 115.2kbps or if it just shows that, but when you connect with USB it is certainly faster and shows connection of 223.2kb or something to that effect.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    It would save me money if there's a way to trick Sprint into believing that the 700p is a 1xRTT phone (i.e. via diabling of EVDO). I hope PdaNet would explore this possibility.
    that would be a nice compromise if they let us DUN at the regular vision speeds. If I do it, it's few times and far between, not needing a true broadband connection. Charge for the PAM package if people want an EVDO modem.
    Exactly, I'm in for the upgrade if I can keep the same tethering capabilities and price point that I enjoy today.
    PAM is $40 if you sign up before 5/21 and $49 if you sign up after, it includes powervision unlimited,unlimited picture mail, sprint tv.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I combined a couple of quotes here. I don't think it's whining too much about $40 a month when my total bill is $40 a month now, and looks to be about $30 when I move to SERO. I've had a $10 data plan (grandfathered) for years now, so that's what I'm used to. Upgrading a phone shouldn't take away what I enjoy now.

I'm not looking for a free ride or anything.

I'm not alone. I just talked with a co-worker and he's thinking the same thing. Tethering is nice when on travel, but it's not a year round thing for him.
    Ok, first of all...not meaning to sound harsh before...please don't take it that way.

Now, your total bill of $40 month (with data?) now is phenomenal. It is obviously an old plan no longer offered (grandfathered). And it reflects the services offered on the equipment offered at that time. New equipment, new features, new price. At some point progress takes over, for better or worse...it takes over. So far, I haven't seen Sprint offer a power vision phone with a PCS Vision data plan. Kind of sad really. I think they are really trying to force the move to EvDO. It's like the old days of the first adopters of DSL...we paid $50 - $60/mo for DSL...then when it went mainstream it dropped to what $24.95 now? But I see your point that dial-up is still offered. I can admit to seeing that side of the coin now. And you have a valid point.

Conversely, that being said if that is the main problem...then I say stick it to them and buy a Treo 650 at the now lower price than ever and stick to the 1xRTT network. All you are really losing is the memory difference...do you max out a 650 today? Do you really need all of the features the 700p offers without the EvDO? It could be said that if you want to stick to your old plan with your old rates...stick to the older phone...not the new one with the newest feature set/rates. Not meant to be a jab or jerk there...just playing devil's advocate. The SERO option...that's cool that we know about it but it's really for friends of Sprint so to speak. Expect that door to close real soon. And it is also based on older technology for it's pricing.

Upgrading your phone will mean upgrading your speed and therefore will change what you are used to. You can't have EvDO speeds on 1xRTT price it just isn't going to happen. The 700p has a selling feature of EvDO network (backwards compatible to 1xRTT for those in a pinch moments when EvDO isn't available) they aren't going to neuter it because a few people like the old pricing scheme based off of the older technology speed. If they don't force some people to move on...they never will and then Sprint has to support old technology forever. We have to remember we've been lucky to run under the radar with DUN under 1xRTT...this was never imagined as a feature back then. With the crushing amount of data now flowing over a network we have to pay the price for the equipment to keep up with that demand. Otherwise, get used to dropped calls, busy tones and no data at all.
    Last edited by xtant21; 05/16/2006 at 11:21 AM.
    I plan to move my phenomenal grandfathered plan to that phenomenal $30 SERO plan.

I currently have a Treo 650, so I can't really stick it to them anymore. Sure I could stay there, but to be honest, I'm very low on memory with things like Java installed for KMaps. Sure I could probably move some applications to the card, but Palm doesn't make it easy to do this. It seems that most people purchase a third party launcher. I also would get use of the 1.3MP camera, the bigger cache and updated apps on the Treo 700P.

Of course, I have the option of sticking to the old phone, but who would do that for the two weekends a year I want to tether? I mean give up a lot of functionality year round for two weekends? That doesn't sound like a good option to me.

What percentage of people would really tether every day? I know about 5 people who have tethered and they are all once or twice while on vacation or something similar. Why don't the small minority that want EVDO on their laptops just get a Sprint business card? Do you really think that Sprint is using tethering as a way to force people to upgrade to EVDO?

I don't think we've been lucky under the radar with DUN under 1xRTT. It was a firmware upgrade released. They wouldn't have released it if they didn't want it to be used.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast