Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Doing the math: if the 700p will be 649 for existing customers, early termination for $150, re-sign for 2 years and get the phone for $399.......(399+150=549).
    Come out $100 ahead.

Possibly worth the trouble, since I can apply that $100 towards all of the services they're gonna charge me!
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    Doing the math: if the 700p will be 649 for existing customers, early termination for $150, re-sign for 2 years and get the phone for $399.......(399+150=549).
    Come out $100 ahead.

Possibly worth the trouble, since I can apply that $100 towards all of the services they're gonna charge me!

Yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking. What's to stop me from activating a new line and cancelling right after I get the phone?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by wballz33
    you're going to want to tether it if you want to go to any websites not designed for mobile usage.
    Not necessarily true. Google's mobile portal does a very good just of reformatting many non-mobile sites for display on the Treo.
    I'm not aware of any restrictions. But I think if you want to keep your cellphone number, you'll have to port it to another carrier during the cancellation period.
    Question regarding the text message pricing issue: are there any alternatives that wouldn't be considered as 'text messages" for the purpose of sprint billing?
    Come out $100 ahead.

Are you talking about cancelling your current plan and signing up as a new customer? Wouldn't you lose your number? If you're talking about signing up for a new account and then cancelling the new account and paying the $150 fee, I don't think they'd let you then transfer the ESN to your existing account. Sprint CSR's should be able to help here. Also, you'd probably have an activation fee and a month of service to pay for or so. That would cut into that $100 difference, probably not worth the trouble, just buy the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by wballz33
    Also, you'd probably have an activation fee and a month of service to pay for or so. That would cut into that $100 difference, probably not worth the trouble, just buy the phone.
    The 'month of service' is not an issue since I'd cancel after day 1, but the activation fee is a problem. I'm not sure the hassle is worth <$50.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    sprint has a 14 day free trial, so if you cancel during then, you may have to give the phone back and not pay the $150 ETF. If you cancelled the 15th day, they might charge you for the 15 days you had use of it. I like the idea though, I plan on scamming them in some way if I end up making the jump, which is looking more and more doubtful.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    I've only been with Sprint since the end of November, 2005. I signed up with a two year plan. Since I've only been a customer for 6 months, can I still qualify for the $399 price if I sign up for an additional 2 years on my current plan ($30 SERO plan)?
    So this is possible, but I'd have to give up my SERO plan?
    Hi ido,

are you sure we can't just "add" to the 2 years on top of what you currently under? Example: if you have 1 years left by signup for another 2years, you are now locked in for 3 years.

That would be a good things for Sprint, they got you hooked!

Like what Wballz say...wouldn't you loss your number if you cancel? it would sad if sprint treate their existing customer this way but I'll wait and see.

I waited sooooo long I can wait a week after the release to figure out this math problem.

Come out $100 ahead.

If I buy 2 700p's on Family plan do I pay double the $20.00 for EVDO or just once? Anyone have any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    There's good info and bad here. Hopefully I'll be adding to the good...

Do you need to use your phone as a modem? If so, the $40 PAM plan should get you unlimited Ev-DO on the phone and some amount for tethered (I heard 20MB a while back).

If you don't need PAM, you should look into SERO. You buy a new phone now through SERO (or switch your current account) and then pay full price for the 700p later. SERO includes unlimited Ev-DO on the phone. I heard that you can't add PAM SERO. Can the Sprint reps here confirm this?
    I will be a new customer to Sprint. On May 21st or 28th, why can't I sign up for SERO, and buy the 700P with a 2 year contract and get the discounted purchase price? I'll worry about PAM and tethering near the end of that call to sign up and purchase? I may or may not get PAM with my SERO, but shouldn't I get the treo 700P for the discounted price and $30.00 a month with unlimited EVDO , Sprint TV etc?????
    I dont mean to ****-in on this conversation but I have a quick question. Are all of you moving over to the sero plan now and getting the treo later or are you going to get the treo and then move over to the sero? I am not sure what order I should attempt to do this in. Thanks.
    "So long and thanks for all the Treos!"
    Quote Originally Posted by feces
    If I buy 2 700p's on Family plan do I pay double the $20.00 for EVDO or just once? Anyone have any thoughts?
    You would pay $20 on the main line and and an additional $10 for the second line.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry
    I will be a new customer to Sprint. On May 21st or 28th, why can't I sign up for SERO, and buy the 700P with a 2 year contract and get the discounted purchase price? I'll worry about PAM and tethering near the end of that call to sign up and purchase? I may or may not get PAM with my SERO, but shouldn't I get the treo 700P for the discounted price and $30.00 a month with unlimited EVDO , Sprint TV etc?????
    If you get the plan online, the 700p is not currently an option. And nobody here knows whether the P will actually be offered on the Sero website. If you call in to try to get Sprint, you may not be able to get the plan. Most Sprint reps will tell you that it is only for friends and family of Sprint employees, which, if the name means anything, it is supposed to be. You may get lucky, but many many folks are turned away. You SprintUsers.com has lots of info re: Sero.
    I don't think the 700P will be offered on the SERO site. I think the SERO offer ends in June too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry
    You could buy the 700p through the SERO site if it was there. But it's not now and may not be added before the SERO offer ends. The SERO site only has a subset of all of the phones Sprint offers.

Others have had luck buying a handset w/discount at a store (and signing up and committing to a 2-year plan), then going home, calling Sprint, and getting switched to SERO. But I suspect you'd be gambling a bit there and not have any guarantee that the rep you spoke with on the phone would be willing to do that.

As someone else said, the SERO offer may be ending fairly soon, so the most guaranteed way of getting SERO may be to either buy a new phone from the SERO site (which you can then eBay once you get your 700p - so you might get some added value there) or switching your current account to SERO. Then, you pay full price for the 700p once it's available from Telesales.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Do you think it will be in that funky blue color?
    Saturday I called sprint to ask them how long I would have to have my service cancelled before I could establish a new one. I was told it was instantly. They sent me to retentions where the lady told me that I could have $150 off the phone with a 2 year contract.

If the base price of the treo 700p is $649.00, then I could save an additional $100 dollars by canceling my service and reinstating. So I called just now to tell them that I'm going to be canceling my service at the end of this billing period (which ironicly is the 28th). She argued with me for a little telling me that it would not be worth it because I would have to pay a 30 something dollar activation fee, to which I told her that I would still be saving 60 some dollars if I did that. So I set it up, then she tells me after my service is canceled that I'll have to give them a $125 dollar deposit to reinstate. I didn't pay a deposit the first time around, yet she states that I did and they returned the money to me after 11 months (January 2005). Later she told me that they returned the money to me when I had my corporate discount added (which was only a couple months back). I think I'm just going to call her bluff and do it anyways.

I admire those companies like Cingular who actually give phone discounts regularly. Sprint seems to make you renew contracts and switch plans just to make minor changes. My parents are on Cingular, my dad has a treo 650 and my mom just got a new phone (both were discounted), and they havn't renewed a contract ever, and they're still on the same plan from 7 years ago.

I think it's going to be a little tough for us to get the $399 deal, if that's what we're going for. I was going to look into the SERO too, but that's not up until the end of next month. We'll see if I can get something like that then.

I wouldn't mind a blue treo 700p. But, honestly, they're just being stingy about this wifi thing. That should be a priority over colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    As someone else said, the SERO offer may be ending fairly soon, so the most guaranteed way of getting SERO may be to either buy a new phone from the SERO site (which you can then eBay once you get your 700p - so you might get some added value there) or switching your current account to SERO. Then, you pay full price for the 700p once it's available from Telesales.
    I've been with Sprint for years, had a Treo 300 then 600, and switched to SERO in January and bought a Samsung A900 phone with the intention of ebaying it and either going with a PPC 6700 or a new Treo. But its not that simple. If you purchase a new phone via the SERO website, you have to agree to keep the phone activated for 6 months on your SERO account or you lose the discount you received on the phone (in my case, the discount amounted to $200).

Can you go ahead and sell the phone without them catching you? I don't know, I'm not going to test it out. When my 6 months runs out, I'll consider ebaying my A900 and getting a new Treo or PPC 6700, depending on the relative price at the time. I'm not sure which I'll get at this point. I like the WI-FI and other features of the 6700, but hate the form factor. I like the form factor of the TREO, but would really like Wi-Fi. Maybe by that time, Sprint will have a Treo 700w, and I can get a Wi-Fi card for it (although then I would give up the higher resolution screen of the P). Too bad the P has no Wi-Fi or ability to add it. Then I would have no decision to make.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast