Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HI, THIS WAS IN TODAY'S WALL ST JOURNAL AND I THOUGHT THIS MIGHT INTEREST ALL OF YOU AT TREOCENTRAL, TAKE CARE, JAY

Talking Up New Treo,
    Palm CEO Bets Big
    On Smartphones

By PUI-WING TAM
    May 15, 2006; Page B1

Ed Colligan joined start-up Palm Computing Inc. as its 20th employee in 1993. Today, as the 45-year-old chief executive, he is betting the mobile-device company's future on a gadget called a Treo in a cutthroat competition against established cellphone makers.
    [snip -KR]
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB114766241067652711.html
    Write to Pui-Wing Tam at pui-wing.tam@wsj.com
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 05/16/2006 at 09:39 AM.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert
    Mr. Colligan: The only thing that surprises me consistently is how little they use the devices. There is so much capability that 90% of people don't discover. They say, "It would be really cool if you had a MP3 player in here." We do.

Many people use the Treo as a phone. People come to me all the time and say, "I love this thing, it has changed my life. I just run my whole life with it." I'll get their device and I'll go into it. They have 12 addresses in it and a few appointments. ... Essentially, the devices are almost too complex for a lot of people. And it is one of our challenges.
    Perfect example of why the new Treo 700p is not innovative. They are attempting to appeal to the mass market, folks who don't use or even know the functionality that exists in more advanced WM 5.0 devices.

They are not building phones for us (techno geeks) anymore, they are building them for the masses (tech dummies).
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting it.

Palm isn't developing for us. I haven't been using their products for long (Treo 600), but it seems based upon what I have seen that they haven't been developing them for us in quite some time. I got my Treo 600 in May 2004. It didn't have a high resolution screen. It didn't have bluetooth 1.1. It didn't have wifi. If I am not mistaken all 3 of those things were available in some other device. Maybe not all together, but they were on the market. When the Treo 650 came out. It didn't support wifi or a2dp. EvDO was about to get rolled out and it didn't have that. It did get EDGE, but that could have been released with the Treo 600. The camera was still crappy. When the 700W came out, it lacked ram and cant surf wifi without an external card. I think it is one of the least technically advanced WM5 devices on the market. I can say with 100% assuredness that Palm is not and has not been desinging for the power user market segment for quite some time. Don't expect this to change either. What they are doing seems to work for them, and with the "if it isn't broke don't fix it" mentality, I doubt we see them change until it effects their bottom line.
    This makes me sick. When is someone going to hold Palm accountable & ask direct questions on the issues here?? Are these "journalists" blind or stupid??? This Treo 700 is not innovative in any way whatsoever. You telling me this special design & development dept has been meeting every day for the past year & half to come up with this??? This is a friggin joke!!!
    Wow. Treoneo, I feel you but wow man.

In thinking that it takes about two years to get from planning one of these to selling one, we should only complain so far. Palm is (has) been doing something that Nintendo is also doing, looking at the broader scope of computing and leveraging features veersus access. Yes, there should be better designs and more features, but at what point does one do those things at the cost of those who have just figured out how to put 1 address in their 2 yr old PDA? It takes a ton of planning to get those folks to notice anything, let alone a phone that is 5 years too large and a 2 years behind the front of the tech curve.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl
    Perfect example of why the new Treo 700p is not innovative. They are attempting to appeal to the mass market, folks who don't use or even know the functionality that exists in more advanced WM 5.0 devices.

They are not building phones for us (techno geeks) anymore, they are building them for the masses (tech dummies).
    You're absolutely right. And that's why they are succeeding so well!

If you want to appeal to techno geeks you'll get killed in the market space...just take a look at any tecno-forum (like TC!) and you'll see that folks like us simply cannot be satisfied. If the 700P came with Wi-Fi and had 1GB of memory and a 1Ghz processor...we'd all STILL have a reason to ***** and moan...

But the "average joe" simply doesn't care. If it works, that's all they care about. Can they play their music (does it have to orb or ogg files? nope...just has to be a "music file"...)...can they send/receive a call...can they put their 12 names/addresses in their (as Ed referenced)...

As long as you appeal to the masses you're going to SELL PRODUCT. Let's not forget that Palm won't be around if they don't sell product. So having the uber-geek toy of the century means absolutely nothing.

BTW - am I saying I don't WANT all bells and whistles...heck no! I want Wi-Fi and bluetooth dialing and all that jazz, too! But the vast majority of the market simply doesn't care! If they can connect a BT headset and it works -- cool. If they get broadband speeds when they are out and about...double cool. But they sure as heck could care less how much RAM/ROM/VRAM/BUTTRAM or anything else is inside the Treo as long as it works...

Quote Originally Posted by Haggar

If you want to appeal to techno geeks you'll get killed in the market space...just take a look at any tecno-forum (like TC!) and you'll see that folks like us simply cannot be satisfied. If the 700P came with Wi-Fi and had 1GB of memory and a 1Ghz processor...we'd all STILL have a reason to ***** and moan...

But the "average joe" simply doesn't care. If it works, that's all they care about. Can they play their music (does it have to orb or ogg files? nope...just has to be a "music file"...)...can they send/receive a call...can they put their 12 names/addresses in their (as Ed referenced)...

As long as you appeal to the masses you're going to SELL PRODUCT. Let's not forget that Palm won't be around if they don't sell product. So having the uber-geek toy of the century means absolutely nothing.

BTW - am I saying I don't WANT all bells and whistles...heck no! I want Wi-Fi and bluetooth dialing and all that jazz, too! But the vast majority of the market simply doesn't care! If they can connect a BT headset and it works -- cool. If they get broadband speeds when they are out and about...double cool. But they sure as heck could care less how much RAM/ROM/VRAM/BUTTRAM or anything else is inside the Treo as long as it works...

the sad thing is that they basically promised both phones -- a sophisticated advanced Palm for their current geek users, and a simpler less expensive mass market phone. (amongst 4 phones for this year)

This ain't neither.

its a tweak.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    the sad thing is that they basically promised both phones -- a sophisticated advanced Palm for their current geek users, and a simpler less expensive mass market phone. (amongst 4 phones for this year)

This ain't neither.

its a tweak.
    We've discussed this elsewhere in the Fourms....one person's "tweak" is another person's "major upgrade".

For many EVDO is going to be worth the price of admission. And from the general consumer's point of view it isn't simply "EVDO" it's online TV, Sirius Radio, Super-fast (sorta) web surfing, quickly e-mail attachment downloads...and more.

EVDO, as a bullet point, is one feature...but in terms of the services it enables on the phone it becomes much more...

We've discussed this elsewhere in the Fourms....one person's "tweak" is another person's "major upgrade".

For many EVDO is going to be worth the price of admission. And from the general consumer's point of view it isn't simply "EVDO" it's online TV, Sirius Radio, Super-fast (sorta) web surfing, quickly e-mail attachment downloads...and more.

EVDO, as a bullet point, is one feature...but in terms of the services it enables on the phone it becomes much more...
    Palm is doing the same thing Apple does with the iPod. They are providing an enjoyable user experience, you can pick the thing up and know how to use it. We are the minority, we're tech geeks. Like Haggar said, no matter what Palm released someone wasn't going to like it. Same way people curse the iPod as not having all the features the other players have, the other players no one is using.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Palm is doing something right.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Personally, I've been very pleased with my 300, then my 600 and now my 650. I am looking forward to taking the next step to the 700p. I use my 650 all the time and couldn't imagine being without it. I remember how much people complained about it when it first came out. Folks seem to love to complain and complain about this or that missing feature or other deficiences. And so what if some other company has a phone with those features. If you don't like what Palm has to offer don't buy it. I have tried the other side and bought a 6700 and returned it soon after. I really missed the sheer simplicity of my 650.
    Don't call it simplicity, it's the Palm Experience
    Jimmie Geddes

I'm selling my 650 to a friend and purchasing a 700p for three primary reasons:

1) EVDO will (hopefully) allow me to use the 700p the way I *thought* I'd be using my 650, but couldn't because it's too slow. Namely, not only to surf the web, but to administer my servers from anywhere I have coverage.

2) FAT32 support for SD cards > 2GB. I'm carrying around multiple 2GB cards right now, one for music, books and games, one for work-stuff, and one for National Guard stuff. I'll be buying a 4GB card next week, and an 8GB when they come out, so that I can stop playing musical cards.

3) More RAM/Cache. I'm hoping that this will improve the stability (right now my 650 soft-resets every time I disconnect Card Reader) and allow me to have a few more applications in regular RAM.

These are significant enough for me and the way I want to use the Treo that I'm going to purchase a 700p as soon as is humanly possible.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

Gotta be the smartest thing someone has written here in a long time. someone should make everyone that wants to complain read this first. This phone is not only supposed to please us tech geeks. All this crying about no wifi and sandwich maker is absurd!
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IDtheTarget
    I'm selling my 650 to a friend and purchasing a 700p for three primary reasons:

1) EVDO will (hopefully) allow me to use the 700p the way I *thought* I'd be using my 650, but couldn't because it's too slow. Namely, not only to surf the web, but to administer my servers from anywhere I have coverage.

2) FAT32 support for SD cards > 2GB. I'm carrying around multiple 2GB cards right now, one for music, books and games, one for work-stuff, and one for National Guard stuff. I'll be buying a 4GB card next week, and an 8GB when they come out, so that I can stop playing musical cards.

3) More RAM/Cache. I'm hoping that this will improve the stability (right now my 650 soft-resets every time I disconnect Card Reader) and allow me to have a few more applications in regular RAM.

These are significant enough for me and the way I want to use the Treo that I'm going to purchase a 700p as soon as is humanly possible.

Amen to Points 1 and 3. I am tired of the minor instability issues with my 650. But, I am really tired of SPRINT TREO Tech support blaming my instability on 3rd party applications without really being able pinpoint my problem. Please don't say "CRASH PRO" either.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Frydog

Treo 300 ----> Treo 600 ----> Treo 650 ----> Treo 700p ----> whats next???

www.lostorder.com (Gaming)
    www.big-hump.com (Hashing)

what should i say......ummm read my signature
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    And why do they have to build a special one for Europe?
    Or has it something to do with the fact that a Treo 700p is like a Hummer with a 1.1 liter engine and a top speed of 65 mph, because many of them don't drive the Interstate highways but use it to bring the kids to school and for shopping around the corner.
    I would say: "Don't buy a Hummer".

I have a Treo 650 and the people I know like the design and software but always look for WM5 devices because of the better hardware specs. But end up with buying a Multimedia phone like a Nokia/Samsung/etc because they don't have a good feeling with WM5 as OS.
    Guys,

The 700p compared to the 650 is like comparing a race car with a consumer car. As many people have stated already the 700p is going to work the way we all thought the 650 should have work because of the extra memory, 1.3 Mpx camera, BT 1.2, great mulitmidea software preinstall and Docs to go supporting PDF. Now if that was not good enough EVDO is the real killer feature. Why?
    -You won't believe how many calls I lose everyday because I was streaming music or browsing the web or Chatter was loading emails. It makes me paranoid when I'm waiting for an important call. And it drives anyone I know crazy the fact that their call goes to voicemail when I'm supposed to be available. So EVDO is going to solve this problem for all of us.
    -Web browsing from Xiino is not a fun as browsing with Blazer, though freaking Blazer takes for ever to load pages. With EVDO this is all going to be history.
    -MobiTV is finally going to be worth paying.

I could go on and on on this, but I think you guys got the picture.

Now, what it is going to be hard for Palm is to make us upgrade from the 700 to a 750. They are going to have to come out with something really good such as a new OS, WiFi drivers, etc or nobody is gonna care.

Al
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast