Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Results 121 to 131 of 131
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Palm Loyalist Mode: ON

    They obviously know their market -- they keep selling these puppies.
    I would revise the statement to:
    Today's Value Priced Technology.
    (If it wasn't, it wouldn't sell.)


    Palm Loyalist Mode: OFF
    They lost one today. I bought the original Palm Pilot, as well as many other Palm products including the 300, 600 and 650. Because of the specs on the 700, I've jumped ship and purchased the 8125. Unless they knock it out of the park with a new GSM model, they've lost this customer for good.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    even the hardest of hardcore loyalists are starting to squirm ...

    (and I am a loyalist...)

    Palm Loyalist Mode: ON

    Who, Me?

    Not squirming -- just not so sure that they are that far behind the technology curve as is being suggested.

    Is the 700P what the 650 should have been? Maybe, -- but how wide spread was EV-DO 18 months ago? Would I have liked 64mb in the 650? Yes. Did my 650 work just fine without it and without getting a 3rd party launcher? Yes. Was it uber uber cutting edge? No. Has it been a workhorse that has been by my side 24/7? Yes.

    Is the 700P a "scream'n" machine (a la, an Alienware $10K PC)? No.
    Should it be? No. Have they positioned it to do alot of new things -- and old things better? Yes. (Anyone check out Avvenu?) Will it be my new workhorse? Yes.

    Do I believe that there will be a ALP or Palm/Linux or non FrankenGarnet PalmOS Treo in our future? Yes. Do I expect it to be a workhorse? Yes.


    Cheers, Perry.


    Palm Loyalist Mode: OFF


    http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...0p/avvenu.html
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/19/2006 at 12:05 PM.
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Palm Loyalist Mode: ON

    Who, Me?

    Not squirming -- just not so sure that they are that far behind the technology curve as is being suggested.

    Is the 700P what the 650 should have been? Maybe, -- but how wide spread was EV-DO 18 months ago? Would I have liked 64mb in the 650? ...
    Perry, the 700P is a needed upgrade to salve CDMA dismay.

    I doubt that the existing 650 GSM community will be as easily won over --

    (I write this with more sadness than anger -- you probably know that I understand better than most the truth about their not doing wifi -- I know directly of their trouble in getting it to work. I recognize that it would have been tough given the constraints of the existing OS -- yet we have to say that if there was a true commitment to wifi, a solution would have been written. )

    cheers...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Hey...I've seen what Perry's kid looks like. I'd be honored to call him dad...instead I got the mug I was given....
    Ronbo (I mean OT) Mode: ON

    I'd bet it comes from her mother's side...

    Ronbo mode: OFF
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    ...(I write this with more sadness than anger -- you probably know that I understand better than most the truth about their not doing wifi -- I know directly of their trouble in getting it to work. I recognize that it would have been tough given the constraints of the existing OS -- yet we have to say that if there was a true commitment to wifi, a solution would have been written. )

    cheers...
    I know everyone thinks I'm nuts (or worse) but I really feel that Palm is standing at the fork in the road. They can either become an "Apple" or a "Commodore" - they will either become the loyal opposition that LEADS M$oft's development of WM5 by outpacing them in the Palmux space, OR they slowly disappear like Commodore.

    What say you ED?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I know everyone thinks I'm nuts (or worse) but I really feel that Palm is standing at the fork in the road. They can either become an "Apple" or a "Commodore" - they will either become the loyal opposition that LEADS M$oft's development of WM5 by outpacing them in the Palmux space, OR they slowly disappear like Commodore.

    What say you ED?

    Agreement Mode: ON

    OMG, what D said. (And in #124, as well.)

    Agreement Mode: OFF
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/19/2006 at 12:59 PM.
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Agreement Mode: ON

    OMG, what D said.

    Agreement Mode: OFF
    Are you in agreement with post #124 as well?....

    It really is an interesting juncture, isn't it? Personally, I really hope they're doing good chemistry in the Palm basement cooking up a home brew winner for your Treo 900. I just don't think ALPO will be the future for Palm. In ten years of dabbling with the dark side in both the PDA and smartphone space, I've ALWAYS come back to Palm, up until now. This is the LONGEST I've stayed on the darkside (8 months) in my PDA life.

    Come on Ed, toss me a bone here!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  8. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I know everyone thinks I'm nuts (or worse) but I really feel that Palm is standing at the fork in the road. They can either become an "Apple" or a "Commodore" - they will either become the loyal opposition that LEADS M$oft's development of WM5 by outpacing them in the Palmux space, OR they slowly disappear like Commodore.

    What say you ED?
    HEY NOW! My Amiga 2000 is all tricked out with a 500MB hard drive and 256MB of RAM, dude! It's multi-tasking, multi-threading and all in an operating system that fits one 2 3.5" disks -- and whoa baby you should see the software....
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    HEY NOW! My Amiga 2000 is all tricked out with a 500MB hard drive and 256MB of RAM, dude! It's multi-tasking, multi-threading and all in an operating system that fits one 2 3.5" disks -- and whoa baby you should see the software....
    I think the Video Toaster toasted more than your media files, super dude. Hey - I always wanted an Atair ST520 - both it AND the Amiga are still ahead of their times!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  10. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I think the Video Toaster toasted more than your media files, super dude. Hey - I always wanted an Atair ST512 - both it AND the Amiga are still ahead of their times!
    Hey...I never even mentioned my Toaster...oh those were the days! I was once offered a job by Commodore to be a regional sales rep calling on the channel partners and resellers. It was $9 an hour plus expenses.

    I think that explains why Commodore died such a horrible death even with such a great product... A) they paid sales reps BY THE HOUR and B) they were willing to hire ME!
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Hey...I never even mentioned my Toaster...oh those were the days! I was once offered a job by Commodore to be a regional sales rep calling on the channel partners and resellers. It was $9 an hour plus expenses.

    I think that explains why Commodore died such a horrible death even with such a great product... A) they paid sales reps BY THE HOUR and B) they were willing to hire ME!
    Sales rep by the hour - anywhere outside of Vegas? No way.

    BTW - remember you're dealing with a fossil here - he's seen it all computer-wise from his teen years on - 1970 - playing lunar lander by teletype.

    In all truthfulness, is there a better multi-tasking OS on the market todaythan the Amiga OS? I don't think so, and I only admired from afar. And for that matter, the GUI interface on the Atari St520 was much more pleasant that the Apple was back then. Ah, the days.....
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Posting Permissions