Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    Other than Wi-Fi ???

I want WiFi !! --- I have beat up very high Palm staffers in trying to get them to deliver on this --

(were it not for the restraining orders, I'd be doing it still...)

amen..
    wifi should be a STANDARD feature now. its 2006.
    -tgwaste
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    It's a matter of multiple radio conflict and the anemic Frankengarnet software. The master Treo hacker, Shadowmite, last year was able to get drivers to provide access to a WiFi SD card in a Treo 650 IF: you soft reset every time you switched between cellular and WiFi service (both in and out) which pretty much showed Frankengarnet could not handle multiple radios.
    Keep in mind this solution only worked on CDMA devices and not GSM. However the Shadowmite camp has given suggestions on making it work for GSM as well by possibly HotSwapping the libs. But Palm isnt paying any attention.

I would still want Wifi, even if I had to turn the phone radio off while using it I would rather have the option than not have the option.
    -tgwaste
    I honestly have to wonder though, how hard is it for Palm to program POS to turn off the radio and turn wifi on? I mean, turning off the phone portion can already be done, but is it not possible for them to program it to be able to use wifi when the phone is off and vice versa? Is it more complex than I'm describing it to be, or is Palm just not going for it since most people will still buy the Treo anyways?
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    And that right time will probably be when if ever ALP is released...at least on the "palm os" version. However, that still doesn't explain why Palm did not integrate wifi into the 700w. Perhaps as to not decimate and cannabalize 700p sales?
    I would suggest that it was to hit a price point.

My guess is that they've done extensive market research and found that the majority of users simply don't use Wi-Fi. If the average joe can click on an e-mail icon and download at broadband speeds...why would they bother with Wi-Fi.

You and I would like Wi-Fi for many reasons...but I'm sure they did a cost/benefit anaylsis and figured that not enough people CARE about Wi-Fi to justify a higher price.

Since Colligan said (somewhere, can't remember where I read it but the link was on one of the TC boards) that they were leaving it up to third party developers to come up with Wi-Fi, I can only assume it's POSSIBLE but just too costly (in terms of money -- or battery life -- or something else)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    And that right time will probably be when if ever ALP is released...at least on the "palm os" version. However, that still doesn't explain why Palm did not integrate wifi into the 700w. Perhaps as to not decimate and cannabalize 700p sales?
    Yet the Palm wifi card is supported on the 700w
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    From Stoobie's link

Quote:
    "Palm will add wireless Internet capabaility to future models of the Treo phone. The company had declined to add Wi-Fi because it drains battery life. Chief executive Edward T. Colligan would not say when the capability would be added. "We do believe Wi-Fi is an important technology," Colligan said. "There's no question that we'll ultimately put in our products, but at the right time.""
    Doesn't this sound familiar? Remember Palm's "we won't do color until the time is right" as Sony smacked them with color PDA after color PDA, and then we got that paragon of washed out screens, the Palm IIIc?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    I honestly have to wonder though, how hard is it for Palm to program POS to turn off the radio and turn wifi on? I mean, turning off the phone portion can already be done, but is it not possible for them to program it to be able to use wifi when the phone is off and vice versa? Is it more complex than I'm describing it to be, or is Palm just not going for it since most people will still buy the Treo anyways?
    I don't think it is as simple as turning the various radios on and off. You've got to flush the stacks by soft resetting; otherwise no go.
    Does anyone know if Shadowmite will try "fixing" the 700p like he did with the 650? If you could use the wifi card, and only have to soft-reset I wouldn't mind that at all. I know he got the wifi card working on the 650, but didn't that require a hard reset? I am forgetting.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I would suggest that it was to hit a price point.
    $650 isn't high enough? H-man, you're becoming quite the Palm apologist, are you Perry and Jimmie's love child?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    $650 isn't high enough? H-man, you're becoming quite the Palm apologist, are you Perry and Jimmie's love child?
    Hey...I've seen what Perry's kid looks like. I'd be honored to call him dad...instead I got the mug I was given.

My point was that if they tried to add all the other features that people are upset about -- you might see a price point of $799. If that was the case, the REST of us would be whining about the price....

I worked, at one point, for a major desktop manufacturer. I was amazed when the marketing manager said they were at the limit of the software budget for pre-installed apps. Mind you, the company loaded a TON of premium software on the computers (not "SE" versions...the real deals) so there was real value in the software load. This particular computer had Microsoft Word, Quicken, several current and premium game titles, and a whole bunch of drivel that I didn't care about that seemed to be wanted by the masses...

What was the budget he was shooting for? $8.00.

$8.00 was his budget for ALL 3rd party software. I couldn't believe it. And he told me that adding one title could cost "as much as" 50 to 80 cents more and that was simply unacceptable. He said it would affect the price point in a major way if they spent the extra few cents...

When I asked him why it would make such a big difference here's some of things he told me they had to factor in:

1) Software Testing (no conflicts, pre-load tests, etc)
    2) Vendor Relations (flying back and forth, conference calls, etc)
    3) Product Support (yes, we still had to take the call...)
    4) Packaging (In those days you actually got a manual and CD)
    5) Shipping Costs (increased weight)
    6) Inventory (have to store the stuff some place)
    7) Support Inventory (have to be able to replace defective media)

So adding a simple radio for Wi-Fi isn't necesarily just about adding the radio. There are many other factors that affect the overall cost...

(geatches...sorry to go so "normal" on ya, man...must be the stroke)
    geatches...sorry to go so "normal" on ya, man...must be the stroke)
    It's lonely on the playground all by myself.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    It's lonely on the playground all by myself.
    Well...as so many have done before you...why don't you take your ball and go home?
    but seriously folks...

I guess I'm just disappointed with Palm. At one point, they led the market with awesome form factor and cutting edge equipment. Owning a Palm was like being a member of an exclusive club and we shared this site to talk about our exclusive device. Since then, Palm has produced two products that offer less than what we expect and less than is already offered on other products. Palm cannot be all things to all people, but it has lost the cachet it once had. Disappointing.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    but seriously folks...

I guess I'm just disappointed with Palm. At one point, they led the market with awesome form factor and cutting edge equipment. Owning a Palm was like being a member of an exclusive club and we shared this site to talk about our exclusive device. Since then, Palm has produced two products that offer less than what we expect and less than is already offered on other products. Palm cannot be all things to all people, but it has lost the cachet it once had. Disappointing.
    I think Ed Colligan was recently quoted as saying "Cachet is so Passe. Why not buy yesterday's technology at tomorrow's price?"

I could be wrong on that, though...
    I think Ed Colligan was recently quoted as saying "Cachet is so Passe. Why not buy yesterday's technology at tomorrow's price?"

I could be wrong on that, though...
    Oh man...let's copyright that baby before Ed get's his hands on it:

PALM
    Yesterday's technology at tomorrow's price!
    You Guys are Just Mean Mode: ON

Sigh.

You Guys are Just Mean Mode: OFF
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    You Guys are Just Mean Mode: ON

Sigh.

You Guys are Just Mean Mode: OFF
    Truth hurts. What can I say...
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Truth hurts. What can I say...
    Palm Loyalist Mode: ON

They obviously know their market -- they keep selling these puppies.
    I would revise the statement to:
    Today's Value Priced Technology.
    (If it wasn't, it wouldn't sell.)

Palm Loyalist Mode: OFF
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Palm Loyalist Mode: ON

They obviously know their market -- they keep selling these puppies.
    I would revise the statement to:
    Today's Value Priced Technology.
    (If it wasn't, it wouldn't sell.)

Palm Loyalist Mode: OFF
    For the record...I was quoting Ed Colligan, not myself.
    even the hardest of hardcore loyalists are starting to squirm ...

(and I am a loyalist...)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast