Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 131
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    It's hard to integrate it into a phone.
    That's not true - it's hard for Palm, but WM5 phones with WiFi abound.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  2. #82  
    That's what I meant, it's hard to do in Garnet.
    Jimmie Geddes
  3. hova's Avatar
    Posts
    259 Posts
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    #83  
    You can always get these other cell phones that have all the thing that the treo is missing.
    For everyone always saying well "the treo is not gonna be around long because it does not have wifi, 1 GB memory and the latest cappucino maker" Can you expalin how all the networks now have a treo? Why sales are still going up? Why MS deciding to put WM5 on the treo? Really?? They must be doing something right? Everybody I know wants one or has one. And believe me they could care less about this (wifi) other stuff you say the treo is lacking. Don't get me wrong I would love for wifi to be on the treo(could have used it when I was in london and couldnt get to a computer ) But the average person does not care about all the bells and whistles everyone is saying the treo is missing. My friends all have treo's because of me. When I show them little things like watching a movie on the treo or using verichat, they are like "wow, the treo does that too?" They are content with having a phone that is a PDA, phone, MP3 player...the basics. They are the people that palm is targeting and that why their sales will only continue to go up. Palms marketing for the TREO is GENIUS. When is the last time you saw a commercial for SMARTPHONE? I know of 3 commercials the treo is in (VERIZON, CINGULAR and MASTERCARD)
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
  4. #84  
    This is just like the early days of personal computers. CP/M units abound (including some spiffy Zenith models) while the DOS world emerged. They kept trying to bolt features on CP/M because it was "good enough" for the average joe that just needed Wordstar...but we all know where that ended up.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  5. #85  
    What was CP/M?
    Jimmie Geddes
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    What was CP/M?
    Very funny... . Look it up in the dictionary - you'll find between "abacus" and "Sanskrit", right next to the papyrus section.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  7. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    This is just like the early days of personal computers. CP/M units abound (including some spiffy Zenith models) while the DOS world emerged. They kept trying to bolt features on CP/M because it was "good enough" for the average joe that just needed Wordstar...but we all know where that ended up.
    Um....might I also point out that DOS kept getting things bolted to it? Remembers Windows 3.11? Windows for Workgroups? Windows 95?

    It's a darn good thing that consumers don't buy outdated stuff that's had so many bolt-ons! I'm so happy that DOS and Windows finally died...
  8. #88  
    Surprised no one has commented on this report in today's Washington Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051601773.html

    Google can't find the quote anywhere else, but sure sounds like wi-fi is coming, but no clue when or if this is only for future products.
  9. #89  
    From Stoobie's link

    "Palm will add wireless Internet capabaility to future models of the Treo phone. The company had declined to add Wi-Fi because it drains battery life. Chief executive Edward T. Colligan would not say when the capability would be added. "We do believe Wi-Fi is an important technology," Colligan said. "There's no question that we'll ultimately put in our products, but at the right time.""
  10. #90  
    The one thing I don't see mentioned is where is this magic devcie that has all this stuff built in....it's not being made. The fact that no one is making it is clear indication that it is no picnic. Yes I can buy a vehicle that can carry 4 x 8 shees of plywood in the back, I can buy a vehicle that can tow 6,500 pounds and I can buy a vehicle that seats 8 passengers and I can buy a vehicle that gets 30 mpg....and we are all complaining that the palm version can't do all 4.

    Where is the touchscreen device with a full qwerty no slide KB that has broadband, wifi, easy one handed operation and all this other stuff ?
  11. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Where is the touchscreen device with a full qwerty no slide KB that has broadband, wifi, easy one handed operation and all this other stuff ?
    With the exception of wi-fi the 700p comes close to being this device
  12. #92  
    This is the TC that I remember reading....Great debate with different views and good information.

    Thanks Guys
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    "Palm will add wireless Internet capabaility to future models of the Treo phone. The company had declined to add Wi-Fi because it drains battery life. Chief executive Edward T. Colligan would not say when the capability would be added. "We do believe Wi-Fi is an important technology," Colligan said. "There's no question that we'll ultimately put in our products, but at the right time.""
    promises, promises...

    I'm sorry -- I've heard this crap before, I've heard for years -- and I've personally heard some of it from these very same people to my face.

    At some point they have to stop pointing at the horizon and actually deliver !!
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    With the exception of wi-fi the 700p comes close to being this device
    does the 700P have prefigured stereo A2DP Bluetooth ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  15. #95  
    No A2DP support. See front page review: http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/814-1.htm
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    With the exception of wi-fi the 700p comes close to being this device
    No I mean where is the competitor's device that everyone keeps referring to in the "why doesn't the Treo have this" posts ?
  17. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    No I mean where is the competitor's device that everyone keeps referring to in the "why doesn't the Treo have this" posts ?
    Mine was more of a rhetorical statement for those that don't quite "get it"...

    Barye - no, it doesn't come configured with stereo bluetooth headset capability. Does the iPod? How many MP3 players do? How many convergence phones do?

    I understand that you want it...I'd like it too...but the fact is, as jack-o points out, it's awfully hard to point to ANY device out there that has it all...please name the devices you want the Treo to be like...and then tell me what about those devices is/are keeping you from buying THEM? They are probably missing something that you like about the Treo....it's kinda a tit for tat thang here...
  18. #98  
    No exerpts (see thread title) for those of us who don't subscribe to WSJ ?
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    it's awfully hard to point to ANY device out there that has it all.
    The proverbial 5 pounds of **** in a 3 pound bag.

    I see a lot of :

    Device "a" has 1 pound of A, 1 pound of B and 1 pound of C
    Device "b" has 1 pound of B, 1 pound of C and 1 pound of D
    Device "c" has 1 pound of C, 1 pound of D and 1 pound of E

    So how come the Treo don't have A, B, C, D and E....they gonna be outta business as all the competitors have better stuff.....and at the same time there's an "issue" that the 700p is $679 while the competition with 3 of those things is $850.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    From Stoobie's link

    "Palm will add wireless Internet capabaility to future models of the Treo phone. The company had declined to add Wi-Fi because it drains battery life. Chief executive Edward T. Colligan would not say when the capability would be added. "We do believe Wi-Fi is an important technology," Colligan said. "There's no question that we'll ultimately put in our products, but at the right time.""
    And that right time will probably be when if ever ALP is released...at least on the "palm os" version. However, that still doesn't explain why Palm did not integrate wifi into the 700w. Perhaps as to not decimate and cannabalize 700p sales?
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions