Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 105
  1.    #1  
    Now that the cat is totally out of the bag, Merlyn_3d, can you share with us what happened with your 700P?

    Anything you can tell us will help solve the mysteries of life.
    Last edited by ScaryHumor; 05/15/2006 at 03:46 PM.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  2. #2  
    He's already told us...got it from someone who got it from someone who stole it from palm.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    He's already told us...got it from someone who got it from someone who stole it from palm.
    The last thing I remember him saying is someone's guess about what happened wasn't too far from the truth.
    Was curious about the details. How was first contact made, did they come to his home...
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  4. #4  
    Yeah, I asked him about it very recently (past couple of days) in one of the threads here. Darned if I know which one. dutchtrumpet summed it up well. Beyond that, he confirmed that he got it from craigslist.

    Of course, all that assumes that we can trust him and that he wasn't/isn't a Palm plant who was put here to quell the unrealistic expectations that slinky's story started.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Yeah, I asked him about it very recently (past couple of days) in one of the threads here. Darned if I know which one. dutchtrumpet summed it up well. Beyond that, he confirmed that he got it from craigslist.

    Of course, all that assumes that we can trust him and that he wasn't/isn't a Palm plant who was put here to quell the unrealistic expectations that slinky's story started.
    Slinky? Who fell for that crap?? It was so obvoiusly laced with gag lines, I can't believe Palm would need to send out an Operative to opiate the TC masses.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Of course, all that assumes that we can trust him and that he wasn't/isn't a Palm plant who was put here to quell the unrealistic expectations that slinky's story started.
    Just had to throw that monkey wrench in there. Just when I thought I was going to sleep well tonight.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D
    People already know. I accidentally came across someone selling it on craigslist, while looking for a 650 incidentally. Met up, bought it, and posted/played for a couple days until someone from palm showed up. Turns out the guy before the guy I bought it from stole it from palm. He was at fault and was arrested. I lost a bit of money on the deal, which sucks, and it doesn't look like palm's gonna just give me a 700p, so I might have to save up for one, especially at the prices it seems like it might go for.

    I'll ask this question again because I don't remember receiving an answer. How did the Palm people get Merlyn's contact information?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Slinky? Who fell for that crap?? It was so obvoiusly laced with gag lines, I can't believe Palm would need to send out an Operative to opiate the TC masses.
    No doubt Merlin was a plant. He/she hangs around here as much as a Palm PRPRPR $agent$ $that$ $is$ $forced$ $to$ $do$ $so$ $on$ $their$ $spare$ $time$.

    And that story got a lot of press, Insertion, and not because it was so unbelievable but mostly because we were all extremely desperate for news.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    No doubt Merlin was a plant. He/she hangs around here as much as a Palm PRPRPR $agent$ $that$ $is$ $forced$ $to$ $do$ $so$ $on$ $their$ $spare$ $time$.

    And that story got a lot of press, Insertion, and not because it was so unbelievable but mostly because we were all extremely desperate for news.
    No doubt he was a plant? Your proof?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    I'll ask this question again because I don't remember receiving an answer. How did the Palm people get Merlyn's contact information?
    Couldn't have been that hard. Call Sprint and ask who activated a super secret 700P today? He also originally posted with serial numbers showing.


    <edit> Should have read "with beta unit's serial numbers showing on the front." He then photoshopped them out, but many ad already grabbed them.
    Last edited by ScaryHumor; 05/15/2006 at 05:28 PM.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor
    Couldn't have been that hard. Call Sprint and ask who activated a super secret 700P today? He also originally posted with serial numbers showing.
    Thanks. Tracing the ESN makes sense and would have been easy.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  12. #12  
    Right, getting traced when he went to activate it makes the most sense.

    Regarding slinky, remember that several other sites fell for it and posted it on the front page. The specs for his made-up device were better than the reality of the 700p and may possibly have also caused concern for 700w sales. Right in the midst of that rumor, Merlyn showed up. I'm not saying that Merlyn *is* a plant, just that it isn't that farfetched an idea.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Right, getting traced when he went to activate it makes the most sense.

    Regarding slinky, remember that several other sites fell for it and posted it on the front page. The specs for his made-up device were better than the reality of the 700p and may possibly have also caused concern for 700w sales. Right in the midst of that rumor, Merlyn showed up. I'm not saying that Merlyn *is* a plant, just that it isn't that farfetched an idea.
    Stranger things have happend. Remember the amazing story of how the SD card with the voice quailty update beta got to Shadowmite. IMO that HAD to be intentional from within Palm.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Right, getting traced when he went to activate it makes the most sense.

    Regarding slinky, remember that several other sites fell for it and posted it on the front page. The specs for his made-up device were better than the reality of the 700p and may possibly have also caused concern for 700w sales. Right in the midst of that rumor, Merlyn showed up. I'm not saying that Merlyn *is* a plant, just that it isn't that farfetched an idea.
    Didn't Merlyn & Perry develop a off line relationship (Brokeback theme song plays)
    I seem to remember Perry saying he talked to him, and they compared notes.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

    "To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-


  15. #15  
    Before you impugn someone’s reputation with rumors, it would be nice to have something other than an idea pulled out of your arse.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  16. #16  
    How would that "impugn" his reputation? Since when did being employed by Palm become such a horrible thing?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  17. #17  
    No, but he has said he doesn't work for Palm, so you would basically be saying that he's lying.

    And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

    Signed,
    The n00b!

    P.s. Bow before me!

    Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
  18. #18  
    I know for a fact that he does not work for palm.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    How would that "impugn" his reputation? Since when did being employed by Palm become such a horrible thing?
    Again, please think before you type.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  20. #20  
    Yeah, I don't work for palm, although I wouldn't mind doing so, it'd be fun to be on the treo projects there. As for how they got my address, you'd have to ask them. It's likely they just traced down the ESN.

    If I had been working for Palm, it's almost certain I woulda had to sign a non-disclosure agreement, in which case my posts would have easily gotten me fired, and I definitely wouldn't have jeopardized a job. Everyone was just lucky that I accidentally stumbled upon that ad. It was a fun run (albiet an expensive one for me).
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions