Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Geeze. So you guys are PO'd 'cause the Treo 700P doesn't have wifi or other capabilities found in other phones. Why come complain here? Go buy your Moto Q's or K-Jams.
    It's a discussion board, not a blow-hot-air-up-the-skirt-of-Palm board. If your afraid of debate, go sit at the little table.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    It's a discussion board, not a blow-hot-air-up-the-skirt-of-Palm board. If your afraid of debate, go sit at the little table.
    Aaawwwww man! And I was so looking forward to that exhale!!
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    Completely untrue.
    No, absoultely true and unchallengeable....well if you read what I said, it is. I said "***I*** ain't using no Treo....." That's my personal preference, your mileage may vary. Given the choice between 28,900 kbps w/ full size KB and screen, and WiFi's paltry 700kbps and 2" screen / KB I just can not be productive on anything longer than a sentence or two. I am rarely out of the office for longer than a few hours and I can be more efficient at a full size screen and KB... Even when away for a week or so, I find 95% of issues can be solved by phone or sort types snippets:

1. Phone call ... "Hey Donna, just received an e-mail...please send Mr. Fancypants a letter as follows: blah blah blah, yada yada yada"
    2. Phone call "Hey Joe, the soil samples came out OK, you will have to increase the footing width from 36" to 42" but otherwise everything remains the same. I'll have my office send you out revised drawings."
    3. E_mail "This is a short e-mail in response to the one I received from you today. I am outta town, Bill from my offcie will pull the necessary plans and have them ON'd to your office"

Almost every Windows device has a 320 pixel LCD for a long time. Slide out keyboards are an advantage in some ways and now with the Nokia and the Q, I think we are starting to see hardware that has caught up to Palm and, in several ways, exceeded it
    WM doesn't even support 320 x 320....and 320 x 240 ain't 320 x 320

WiFi is easily turned on and off, just like Bluetooth. Adding WiFi would be almost negligible in size and the cost is also not nearly as much as you've added, despite what you may think.
    But I can still go a week between charges w/o turning off my BT. Am I gonna be able to do that w/ WiFi ? I certainly don't want a device that I have to keep turning things on and off to get a couple of days charge out of it. The WiFi chips I have seen are slighly smaller than a postage stamp. So is the sound chip, vid chip ... what do I leave out to put it in ? How do they handle the extra handle heat dissipation ? More design, more cost.

Palm has indicated that they don't want to compromise battery life and the carriers (remember the carriers are the customers not us) certainly aren't WiFi fans.

>Somehow all those great add-ons seemed to make it into the Q and it's smaller than the 700p.<

No it haven't. It has Wifi and it's cheap and that's about all it has going for it. No device that I have yet seen includes touch screen, 7.5 hours battery life, no slide out KB, edits documents and 320 x 320 minimum. There's a few tri-band phones out there that are getting interesting but even that is a compromise w/o the 4th band.

I am not saying WiFi isn't valuable to anyone, my county is building a county wide network which should be ready in 2 years and then I will start watching. But if you are going to ask me if I am gonna give up all or even any one of the mentioned features that the Treo has for a Q.....no way, no how !

But let's get back to the question....if WiFi is to be so easily incorporated, on top of all of what the Treo offers, into a shirt pocket sized device ... where is it ? Where are all the vendors anxious to have us all, as the saying goes, "beat a path to their door" ?.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    But let's get back to the question....if WiFi is to be so easily incorporated, on top of all of what the Treo offers, into a shirt pocket sized device ... where is it ? Where are all the vendors anxious to have us all, as the saying goes, "beat a path to their door" ?.
    I thought the question was "Is it safe for Merlyn 3d to come out?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I thought the question was "Is it safe for Merlyn 3d to come out?"
    If he likes wifi, the answer is "No."
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456