Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jwflutterby
    OK, what's the big deal with WiFi?? It has a built-in EVDO modem. What are you going to do with WiFi you can't do with EVDO?? It is a pocket device, not a computer. If I want to use Outlook or surf the web and see the pages as the designers intended I'll grab my laptop. I can honestly say I'm glad it doesn't have WiFi because I think it would be useless IMHO.
    It wouldn't be useless, but there really aren't enough places yet with free, open wifi.
    OK, what's the big deal with WiFi?? It has a built-in EVDO modem. What are you going to do with WiFi you can't do with EVDO?? It is a pocket device, not a computer. If I want to use Outlook or surf the web and see the pages as the designers intended I'll grab my laptop. I can honestly say I'm glad it doesn't have WiFi because I think it would be useless IMHO.
    This subject has been beaten to death. Your answer lies here.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    It wouldn't be useless, but there really aren't enough places yet with free, open wifi.
    Again, why WiFi over EVDO? Is there anything you can do better with WiFi?
    I didn't say anything about having wifi over evdo or that I prefer wifi over evdo. I just said that wifi isn't useless. Especially in cases where you're in a building that blocks evdo signals, but has wifi. Also, aren't some airlines going to be adding wifi access on their planes? I don't know if you can get evdo service up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    This subject has been beaten to death. Your answer lies here.
    What would you suggest I search for? I've seen tons of people whine about wanting WiFi and agree it has been beaten to death, I just don't understand why it is such a big issue and they want it so bad.
    I want a choice of data connection, not necessarily what the carrier dictates. EVDO is also not available everywhere.
    What would you suggest I search for? I've seen tons of people whine about wanting WiFi and agree it has been beaten to death, I just don't understand why it is such a big issue and they want it so bad.
    Read my post right above (post #84). Not all places have evdo service available and many of those places may have wifi networks.
    I didn't say anything about having wifi over evdo or that I prefer wifi over evdo. I just said that wifi isn't useless. Especially in cases where you're in a building that blocks evdo signals, but has wifi. Also, aren't some airlines going to be adding wifi access on their planes? I don't know if you can get evdo service up there.
    I guess, but if I'm in an airplane I'll have my laptop open to watch DVD's anyway and the only places I've found poor cell service have been places I've had my laptop and I'd much rather use the bigger screen and keyboard...

I guess I'm just a different kind of user, but that's why I asked because I could not think of a good reason to have it based on my experiences..
    My hospital is wired for wifi in every location. Considering the $$$ involved for a vz plan, I may opt for MOU when I'm away from there or any hot-spots, and stick to my wifi whenever I can. Besides, the wifi signal I have is always strong.
    Well then why even ask this question? You may have a laptop, but not everyone does.
    Well then why even ask this question? You may have a laptop, but not everyone does.
    I hit submit too quick before so I went back and edited my post to complete my thought. As I added there, I am just a different kind of user and I was just trying to broaden my understanding.
    Again, why WiFi over EVDO? Is there anything you can do better with WiFi?
    As has been said, this topic has been beaten to death. If you don't understand then read up on the topic. There is a reason why all these phones include built in WiFi and it isn't just for free Internet access at Hotspots. There are NUMEROUS other reasons and in many instances EVDO is either not available or just can't connect the way you need, e.g. think local area connections to work, secure networks, hotels during travel, working in big cities in big buildings where EVDO does not work reliably but the entire building is hooked up for WiFi, etc.

Here's another good question. Why do you need Bluetooth if you have EVDO? A: It is a different method of communication that may have SOME overlap but not others.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    Jack, I think the difference is that with the Palm models they aren't even up to market standard, e.g. insufficient RAM of 64MB, WiFi included. It's like upgrading your favorite car but not putting in power doors and windows. After a certain point you just spent enough money on your car and say you don't care if they finally put it in next year... there are other choices that have finally made your favorite car just an alternative.
    Isn't the 700p 64 + 64 ?

As for WiFi, if I in a place where there's WiFi, I certainly ain't usin my Treo, that's laptop time. As for power doors / windows, I prefer the mechanical ones....especially if I drive into water ...power mirrors I'll take. I also prefer a manual tranny.

But again, where is the device that has 320 x 320 or better, touch screen, 3G, one handed operation, no slide out KB and all that the Treo's got PLUS Wifi...I ain't seen it. So if it doesn't exist anywhere on the planet, just who is Palm lagging behind ?

I find it akin to complaining you can't buy 5 pounds of $3 per pound candy in a 2 pound bag for under $10.

You want WiFi in there ?

Are you willing to accept a bigger device ?
    Are you willing to accept a 40% drop in battery life ?
    Are you willing to pay $100 more MSRP ?
    Are you wiling to lose $100 in carrier rebates since you won't be earning them money while on WiFi ?

You want faster processor ?

Are you willing to pay $75 more for no perceived increase in speed ?
    Are you willing to accept a 30% drop in battery life ?
    Are you willing to accept a bigger device for heat dissipation and fit ?

Now we all want faster processors, with more memory, with GPS, WiFi, defribulator, taser, LCD Projector, credit card swipe and everything else but at no decrease in battery life and with no increase in cost ... problem is we gotta obey the laws of physics, the laws of energy and the laws of economics....throw those out and this fictional device is no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Isn't the 700p 64 + 64 ?

As for WiFi, if I in a place where there's WiFi, I certainly ain't usin my Treo, that's laptop time. As for power doors / windows, I prefer the mechanical ones....especially if I drive into water ...power mirrors I'll take. I also prefer a manual tranny.

But again, where is the device that has 320 x 320 or better, touch screen, 3G, one handed operation, no slide out KB and all that the Treo's got PLUS Wifi...I ain't seen it. So if it doesn't exist anywhere on the planet, just who is Palm lagging behind ?

I find it akin to complaining you can't buy 5 pounds of $3 per pound candy in a 2 pound bag for under $10.

You want WiFi in there ?

Are you wiling to lose $100 in carrier rebates since you won't be earning them money while on WiFi ?

Now we all want faster processors, with more memory, with GPS, WiFi, defribulator, taser, LCD Projector, credit card swipe and everything else but at no decrease in battery life and with no increase in cost ... problem is we gotta obey the laws of physics, the laws of energy and the laws of economics....throw those out and this fictional device is no problem.

Very well put !! Could not agree more. Where is this Treo Killer everyone is running to?

However, I do agree with dstrauss on:The "P" in PDA is for Personal.

Everyone has there own idea of "Perfect." And it is not a bad idea to keep the wish list in front of the Palm folks -- to see if they can make it happen in the future within the constraints Jack has mentioned.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Completely untrue. If you want a great example, ask the medical folk and uses in a hospital. In the office WiFi is indispensible, especially when moving from place to place. I was recently traveling outside the US and around the US in non-EVDO areas. I can't begin to tell you how great it was to just pull in email and other info with WiFi. I even used it for Skype too. On the plane it was incredible to be able to work when it became an unbelieveable challenge when I couldn't go business class and was so cramped in coach and could do emails and surf with the 700w. That's just for starters. In fact, take a look at what cell phones are going to look like over the next few years and probably by next year you'll start seeing a good number of dual mode phones hitting the market. All you guys who said you didn't need WiFi will be wishing you did and waiting impatiently for your 2 year contracts to expire while seeing other Windows Mobile users with their old phones being able to take advantage...

Almost every Windows device has a 320 pixel LCD for a long time. Slide out keyboards are an advantage in some ways and now with the Nokia and the Q, I think we are starting to see hardware that has caught up to Palm and, in several ways, exceeded it.

You want WiFi in there ?

Jack, respectfully, what are you talking about? WiFi is easily turned on and off, just like Bluetooth. Adding WiFi would be almost negligible in size and the cost is also not nearly as much as you've added, despite what you may think.

The fact is with the 700p you didn't get a faster processor and the rest of what you are writing is really non-sequitir. It may add some cost but WiFi capatibility is now a big benefit and will be huge within the next year. Don't understimate its flexibility. Best of all, I won't have to pay up to Verizon if I decide I don't want to be raped by their data plan.

Jackie boy, you're making way too big a deal of this. Somehow all those great add-ons seemed to make it into the Q and it's smaller than the 700p. It's a standard item and not even having it as an OPTION for the 700p is criminal.
    Geeze. So you guys are PO'd 'cause the Treo 700P doesn't have wifi or other capabilities found in other phones. Why come complain here? Go buy your Moto Q's or K-Jams. Those of us getting our 700P's pretty much know what it's got and what it's missing so we won't be disappointed. We know what we're getting into. That is of course, Palm managed to hide something huge from us that will only be discovered once the 700P has penetrated mass market.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Stranger things have happend. Remember the amazing story of how the SD card with the voice quailty update beta got to Shadowmite. IMO that HAD to be intentional from within Palm.
    Yeah, the person "found" it in his box. LOL.

Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoshmeo
    Jackie boy, you're making way too big a deal of this. Somehow all those great add-ons seemed to make it into the Q and it's smaller than the 700p. It's a standard item and not even having it as an OPTION for the 700p is criminal.
    The MotoQ has Wi-Fi? When did this happen?

The MotoQ has 320x320?

The MotoQ can edit Office Docs out of the box?

You can use the MotoQ as a modem?

The MotoQ has lots of memory? (60MB on a WM device?!)

I'm not saying the 700P is perfect. Far from it. It's missing a lot, too... but the MotoQ isn't a Treo killer...at least not for anyone who wants serious productivity beyond e-mail, IMing and browsing web sites on a tiny screen. Not having Wi-Fi is a downer...but that just isn't going to "kill" the Treo in the mass market. In 2-3 years it could be a huge issue -- but I think, given todays weak coverage of wi-fi and the general publics lack of knowledge about what "hot spots" and "wi-fi" are simply means that whiney nerds and geeks will be the only ones who are truly affected by the lack of Wi-Fi (and I consider myself in that category BTW).
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    The MotoQ has Wi-Fi? When did this happen?

I'm not saying the 700P is perfect. Far from it. It's missing a lot, too... but the MotoQ isn't a Treo killer...at least not for anyone who wants serious productivity beyond e-mail, IMing and browsing web sites on a tiny screen
    Haggar... correct me if I am wrong, but the Q is built like a BB in the fact that it doesn't have touchscreen and uses the thumb wheel thing right? I'm just saying... also.... there isn't WiFi, so you are right there... I'm having a hard time finding why it would compete with the Treo 700p....
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by icanbeatali
    Haggar... correct me if I am wrong, but the Q is built like a BB in the fact that it doesn't have touchscreen and uses the thumb wheel thing right? I'm just saying... also.... there isn't WiFi, so you are right there... I'm having a hard time finding why it would compete with the Treo 700p....
    It apparently competes because its $199 and thinner.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast