1.    #1  
    Can someone please explain to me the liklihood of the 700p coming out on Cingular? I know that it uses EVDO, which if I understand posts on this forum correctly, Cingular does not offer. I know that Cingular has EDGE, which I currently use for my 650. I would love the faster broadband of the 700p (and the extra memory), but I need to stick with Cingular because of my company's use of Goodlink and our contract with Cingular. Any posts on rumors about the 700p and Cingular are fine, but I'm really more interested in knowing if there is a technical reason for the 700p not being available for Cingular at launch versus just the business issues with Sprint and Verizon. Thanks.

-Jeff
    http://www.cingular.com/3G
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1770794,00.asp

Quote Originally Posted by JeffRichardson
    Can someone please explain to me the liklihood of the 700p coming out on Cingular? I know that it uses EVDO, which if I understand posts on this forum correctly, Cingular does not offer. I know that Cingular has EDGE, which I currently use for my 650. I would love the faster broadband of the 700p (and the extra memory), but I need to stick with Cingular because of my company's use of Goodlink and our contract with Cingular. Any posts on rumors about the 700p and Cingular are fine, but I'm really more interested in knowing if there is a technical reason for the 700p not being available for Cingular at launch versus just the business issues with Sprint and Verizon. Thanks.

-Jeff
    There will likely be a GSM/EDGE/UMTS version of the 700p at some point, that would work on Cingular. We really don't know when, though. Probably not until the fall.
    Current rumors are there will be GSM Treo by at latest October this year. Whether it will be either the WM or PalmOS version first is unknown....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5.    #5  
    Specimen38 - thanks for the links. If I am reading this correctly, it looks like Cingular's answer to EV-DO is the technology that Cingular calls "3G," and is also known as HSDPA/UMTS. Cingular calls it the next generation of GSM/EDGE. Cingular offers a BroadbandConnect service in about 16 cities (as of a press release that is a few months old so it could be more by now) that claims data connections of 400-700Kpbs on the downlink. It appears that an advantage over EV-DO is that you can use data and the phone at the same time on HSDPA. But it appears that the advantage of EV-DO is that it is available in more cities and, so far, appears to be faster. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

With this information, it looks like there is no technical reason that Cingular couldn't have a 700p today as long as Palm made the device work with GSM/EDGE/HSDPA/UMTS ... but you would only get the HSDPA speeds those few cities with the 3G networks in place. I seem to recall that there was a delay of many months, maybe even over a year, between the time that the 650 came out and Cingular started to offer it. Perhaps we'll have a similar wait for the 700p. Indeed, by the time it comes out, maybe they'll be calling it the "AT&T Wireless" Treo 700p instead of the "Cingular" one as I understand that the new AT&T is dropping the Cingular name.

If anyone else has info on Cingular and the 700p, please post it here.

-Jeff
    The real question, in the GSM space, is "700p why?" It's already way behind, feature wise, of anything in the field or announced for recent release (check out 8125; 2125; any i-Mate or Qtek phone; HTC Hermes; Moto Q; Samsung i320; HTC StarTrek; etc). By the time Cingular would get it, the rest of the vendors would be on the next (or even third generation down) phones. Think about it, Palm works in the CDMA space because of the LACK of CDMA smartphone vendors.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    The real question, in the GSM space, is "700p why?" It's already way behind, feature wise, of anything in the field or announced for recent release (check out 8125; 2125; any i-Mate or Qtek phone; HTC Hermes; Moto Q; Samsung i320; HTC StarTrek; etc). By the time Cingular would get it, the rest of the vendors would be on the next (or even third generation down) phones. Think about it, Palm works in the CDMA space because of the LACK of CDMA smartphone vendors.
    Amen
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    it's real simple:UTMS allows voice and data at the same time, ie. multitasking, palm os doesn't multitask...
    what can they do? add multitasking, just plop iton,or only allow one task ......
    Sprint 700p
    As what has been stated above, the next GSM treo should "hopefully" be out before the end of the year. No one yet know officially what OS it will run (fingers crossed for WM5). I personnally cannot wait for this device. I love my Wizard but I really prefer the body of the Treo over my Wizard. I also have a treo 650 and I alternate between the two pretty regularly.
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    I'd say the first reason is because they have an established base of Palm OS users. Secondly, the Treo is still the standard by which other "smartphones" are measured. Personally, I hope they come out with a Palm OS one first, or WM and Palm at the same time on Cingular. Although, I may just change over to Verizon since the rest of my family is on Verizon.

Gargoyle
    As a note, EV-DO Rev A (the next version of EV-DO) will allow voice and data at the same time. Both Sprint and Verizon have announced roll out plans for Rev A
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    As a note, EV-DO Rev A (the next version of EV-DO) will allow voice and data at the same time. Both Sprint and Verizon have announced roll out plans for Rev A
    Is the 700P capable of running the next version?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I for one think those leaked "Hollywood" pictures are going to be the next GSM Treo, probably called 750 or 800. Just for the fact that the specs of the 700's are already dated, though currently still nice, and are EVDO I'd expect something a little better down the road. The price us CDMA people pay this time for being first is the GSM folks will have a better phone 4-6 months down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadams
    I for one think those leaked "Hollywood" pictures are going to be the next GSM Treo, probably called 750 or 800. Just for the fact that the specs of the 700's are already dated, though currently still nice, and are EVDO I'd expect something a little better down the road. The price us CDMA people pay this time for being first is the GSM folks will have a better phone 4-6 months down the road.
    That sounds good to me. I hope it's not just the stale 700w/p that will have been out a WHILE.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Jeff,

The PC Mag article was highly critical of Cingular's 3G network. I am just no sure what to think. I am currently on Cingular using EDGE on a T650. It's okay, but not as fast and reliable as I would like it to be. WIFI on the 700p would be great, especially in the San Francisco area. Since San Francisco is planning to launch a free METRO WIFI network -- courtesy of Google and EarthLink in 2007 hopefully. If there is no WIFI on Cingular's GSM version then I will purchase that WIFI sled "thing."

Quote Originally Posted by JeffRichardson
    Specimen38 - thanks for the links. If I am reading this correctly, it looks like Cingular's answer to EV-DO is the technology that Cingular calls "3G," and is also known as HSDPA/UMTS. Cingular calls it the next generation of GSM/EDGE. Cingular offers a BroadbandConnect service in about 16 cities (as of a press release that is a few months old so it could be more by now) that claims data connections of 400-700Kpbs on the downlink. It appears that an advantage over EV-DO is that you can use data and the phone at the same time on HSDPA. But it appears that the advantage of EV-DO is that it is available in more cities and, so far, appears to be faster. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

With this information, it looks like there is no technical reason that Cingular couldn't have a 700p today as long as Palm made the device work with GSM/EDGE/HSDPA/UMTS ... but you would only get the HSDPA speeds those few cities with the 3G networks in place. I seem to recall that there was a delay of many months, maybe even over a year, between the time that the 650 came out and Cingular started to offer it. Perhaps we'll have a similar wait for the 700p. Indeed, by the time it comes out, maybe they'll be calling it the "AT&T Wireless" Treo 700p instead of the "Cingular" one as I understand that the new AT&T is dropping the Cingular name.

If anyone else has info on Cingular and the 700p, please post it here.

-Jeff