Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does this 'Dial-Up Networking' feature just mean that now I have to PAY for occaisional use of my Treo with my Laptop? If so, I'm sticking with my 650......
    Currently yes. It appears Sprint is blocking the modem NAI on all 1xEvDo devices now thus requiring an additional plan for DUN. However, it could be possible I guess for some enterprising dev like Junefabrics etc to creat a hack workaround...who knows...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    NAI has been hacked on other phones. If anything, shadowmite could possibly come up with a customized ROM that makes PDANet appear like in-phone data usage.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    All he has to do is come up with something to turn off the NAI on the 700P which can be done on the PPC-6700 easily:

go to settings, display, press 0, enter 040793, then turn off mulit NAI
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar
    All he has to do is come up with something to turn off the NAI on the 700P which can be done on the PPC-6700 easily:

go to settings, display, press 0, enter 040793, then turn off mulit NAI
    I don't think that is something shadowmite is willing to do...he pretty much already said no joy.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...2&postcount=50

Reason the 6700 works:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=56
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    I'm starting to think this DUN issue should be consoladate into a FAQ with a sticky at the top of the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    I don't think that is something shadowmite is willing to do...he pretty much already said no joy.

Reason the 6700 works:
    I see both sides to this issue but one thing remains; Sprint has inconsistent business practices. On one hand the PPC-6700 comes out with no PAM plan irregardless of the reasons. It's a relatively new handset (been out for 6 months?) and then all of a sudden when Sprint has the opportunity to charge more i.e. the 700P... "Not so fast little Timmy, we have a different bill for your DUN". And I wouldn't even be as upset if it weren't for the second inconsistent business practice they're committing namely tying 1xRTT DUN into the EVDO rate. I'm all for companies like Sprint making money but don't charge me $40 a month for the same feature I've been using for free unless it's an enhancement over the old one. EVDO and 1xRTT are different services and should be billed as such.

When you talk about DUN, you're talking about the people on this site. People like us are the biggest users of those features. Most people don't even know that there is an MP3 player in the Treo as Ed Colligan noted recently in an interview. And if you read the threads and polls about this issue most of the people here are not happy with the way Sprint and Verizon are gouging for these services.
    Last edited by deesugar; 05/17/2006 at 10:50 AM.
    I definitely use pdanet for a couple of days every couple of months, but that's it. I'm not excited about this turn of events, needless to say. To ME (so no flames), the only real advantage of the 700p is its ability to break into a data connection and let you know someone's calling. I don't surf on the phone much, so broadband speed is nice, but not super-kill-for-feature important to me, and the rest of the upgrades are pretty minor. If they made the OS more stable, then that would also raise my interest, but that's a question at this point.

So if they track the per MB if you're not on the PAM plan, how much is it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet
    So if they track the per MB if you're not on the PAM plan, how much is it?
    Yes, that's what I would like to know, all I see are flat rates with add on amounts for overage.
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 05/17/2006 at 11:29 AM.
    fyi - PdaNet for Treo 700p Readme (Beta)

...June Fabrics Technology will continue to provide a version of PdaNet for the Treo 700p that will go through the same data plan on your Treo 700p. You can install PdaNet and get connected on your laptop immediately just like the old days. This advanced version will support EVDO and even optimize the network settings on your computer to burst EVDO throughput so that your laptop can get true broadband speed. It will also continue to support Bluetooth if laptop has it.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by 4spammers
    Wow, this is REALLY suprising. I'm suprised that Palm didn't contract with June Fabrics to NOT allow for this. I'd like to have been the fly on the wall during those negotiations....

WOW! I hope this is true. JuneFabrics is going to make a sh!tload of money on this one app alone!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    WOW!! i would definitely buy it if its truely hacked
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let this be true!! I do not want to pay $40 a month to connect my treo 700p to my laptop.
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    pdanet will get my money, that's for sure!!! woohoo!
    yes in deed i would fork out even $100 for this it will pay for itself in 2 months, i use pdanet for the 650 now and i love it , acutally get faster speeds on the laptop than on the treo.
    Hopefully I'm being thick-headed, but the blurb from JuneFabrics doesn't actually say "and you won't be charged the PAM fee by Sprint". I'm hoping that's what it implies, and it seems to....but after hearing in another thread that JuneFabrics helped Palm develop the PAM feature for the 700p, I will remain cautiously optimistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by grim02
    Hopefully I'm being thick-headed, but the blurb from JuneFabrics doesn't actually say "and you won't be charged the PAM fee by Sprint". I'm hoping that's what it implies, and it seems to....but after hearing in another thread that JuneFabrics helped Palm develop the PAM feature for the 700p, I will remain cautiously optimistic.

grim02, why would you PAY june fabrics for pdanet if the 700p already has this capability built-in?!? You wouldn't. You'd just pay for PAM and use the built-in feature.
    Very true, why would you pay them? But that's what is confusing - isn't it Sprint's call whether or not you are charged for PAM? If the software is in the box, ready to use, then would just using that software trigger your Sprint account to be charged PAM? Or is Sprint hoping you are "honest" and call them and tell them you're using PAM?

I've read in the other threads that this time, Sprint will know if you're using your phone as a modem. The key question - what is the difference between the in the box PAM solution and PDANet? Is there some software flag in the Sprint version that tells them you're using it - a flag that doesn't exist in PDANet? Is it just the NAI setting, which may not be able to be turned off? Or switch that around - does the 700p have a flag that tells Sprint you're using the phone for data, and anything else doesn't count?
    Last edited by grim02; 05/18/2006 at 09:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by grim02
    Very true, why would you pay them? But that's what is confusing - isn't it Sprint's call whether or not you are charged for PAM? If the software is in the box, ready to use, then would just using that software trigger your Sprint account to be charged PAM? Or is Sprint hoping you are "honest" and call them and tell them you're using PAM?

I've read in the other threads that this time, Sprint will know if you're using your phone as a modem. The key question - what is the difference between the in the box PAM solution and PDANet? Is there some software flag in the Sprint version that tells them you're using it - a flag that doesn't exist in PDANet? Is it just the NAI setting, which may not be able to be turned off? Or switch that around - does the 700p have a flag that tells Sprint you're using the phone for data, and anything else doesn't count?
    Even if the per-megabyte charge isn't all that much, people will probably prefer to pay for pdanet ONCE and use it when and where they wish. You are right, june fabrics did not provide details, but because there would be NO REASON to buy pdanet if they didn't have a way to get onto the network without looking like a regular (non-usb or BT) data connection. It's the only thing that makes sense.

It makes even more sense b/c june fabrics were the ones who built the dun connection for palm -- if anyone would know how to get around the usb/bt detection scheme, it would be them. I too am shocked that Palm allowed them to continue to develop pdanet in this way, (as previously mentioned in another posting) but it's great news for us!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast