Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You could argue that there was no reason to pay for PDANet before either (once BT DUN was enabled by Shadow and then Sprint). PDANet was definitely more stable, and allowed a wired solution if you didn't have BT, but in terms of how you were charged for data, there was no difference.

I hope that the same reason won't apply here - PDANet will only get you extra features you don't get out of the box, but as far as what you get charged for data, it won't make a difference. That is Sprint's call. Let's hope Sprint turns the other way while we are happily connected with only our Power Vision plans and PDANet.
    Speculation- but perhaps it went this way....

Palm: We need some help developing this Palm As Modem thing, can you help us?

JF: Sure.... Let's see your specs... O.K. we can do it.

Palm: O.K. now our carriers want to charge for this- so can you agree not to do it yourself anymore?

JF: But that would be putting ourselves out of business. No, you want our solution, you let us keep operating.

Palm: Can you do it another way?

JF: Yeah... we have other workarounds and could continue without you.

Palm: Well, o.k. how about this...
    You let us use your solution whereby carriers can charge people, and if you find another way to do it, we'll look the other way and not come after you.
    After all, only tech geeks think to tether anyway... and only uber-tech geeks would find and use a solution from a "Fabric store" to tether for free. It's more important that we offer this solution to those who want to tether (and make money off it), than we worry about the few who will use your workaround. (and maybe we could negotiate a cut of the money you make from selling PDA net anyway??)... Deal or no deal?

JF: Deal!

The above may or may not have any resemblence to how it may or may not have gone down... it's 100% pure speculation- but may be possible.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    NAI has been hacked on other phones. If anything, shadowmite could possibly come up with a customized ROM that makes PDANet appear like in-phone data usage.
    Shadowmite had already announced in another thread that he will not tackle this, unless he changed his mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by grim02
    You could argue that there was no reason to pay for PDANet before either (once BT DUN was enabled by Shadow and then Sprint). PDANet was definitely more stable, and allowed a wired solution if you didn't have BT, but in terms of how you were charged for data, there was no difference.

I hope that the same reason won't apply here - PDANet will only get you extra features you don't get out of the box, but as far as what you get charged for data, it won't make a difference. That is Sprint's call. Let's hope Sprint turns the other way while we are happily connected with only our Power Vision plans and PDANet.
    I would argue that june fabrics saw their selling volume drop after sprint enabled dun -- although I don't know how much stable it was since I'd already bought it and never used Sprint's version. We'll find out soon enough, but I'm optimistic.

It'd be a hard sell if their version was more stable/better than the one built for Palm. Palm would be pissed if that's how they market it.
    i wonder if the beta pdanet will be able to surf at regular vison speeds not evdo i would be happy with that since i dont use DUN that much
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    Shadowmite had already announced in another thread that he will not tackle this, unless he changed his mind.
    It appears from junefabric's release that developers won't HAVE to hack anything -- pdanet will work on the 700p.
    Quote Originally Posted by rick2203
    i wonder if the beta pdanet will be able to surf at regular vison speeds not evdo i would be happy with that since i dont use DUN that much
    From shadowmite's posting, it's not the speed, but how the phone logs onto the data network. If you're not in an EVDO area, the 700p should throttle back to previous speeds.
    I've posted the tethering patch here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?p=1002883

Happy surfing!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12