Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    To my mind the following are critical to its success and our purchase decision:

    1. Can it skype or voice based google talk? (will it be possible by using eqo.com?)
    2.Memory, the big bugbear of the 700w. is it resolved?
    3. A2dp is missing. so guess one cant hear .wav attachments?
    4. True push email? yes or no? out of the box?
    5. Battery life?
  2. #2  
    1. sort of yes with eqo.com (yes)
    2. apparently no
    3. you can with 3rd party software sofiteck
    4. no, no yet atleast in USA. There are third party programs
    5. a bit lower than 650 as listed on palm site, but not much diff
    cheers.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

    The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    2. apparently no
    I'm no expert, but I though that the 60 mb user-accessible ram on POS was a good amount.
  4. #4  
    60 mb is very good on a Palm. 60mb is very bad on Windows Mobile. Palm apps are written much smaller in size. Some say the OS uses space more efficently.
    Jimmie Geddes
  5. #5  
    Almost twice as much user memory as athe 700W, with a much smaller OS and application footprint. Yeah, I think memory's not the issue it is on the 700.

    As for Skype, I doubt that matters to even 1 % of the likely buyers of the 700.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  6. #6  
    1. No, then again 99.99% of people who will buy this phone won't even care about using skype on it.
    2. Not an issue with Palm OS-based 700p.
    3. Only if you want to hear it in sterero via a BT headset.
    4. This is a software issue, not hardware.
    5. Only time will tell.
  7.    #7  
    i disagree rome. skype mobile is fast becoming a killer app...are you saying you will eschew free phone calls?

    also does it not come with msft push email out of the box atleast now?

    marcus?
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    i disagree rome. skype mobile is fast becoming a killer app...are you saying you will eschew free phone calls?
    All my phone calls are free now w/o skype....and on top of that they are clear and intelligible. I pay a flat fee for phone service, flat fee for data service. Ya don't think your carrier is gonan let ya drop ya voice plan and do free internet calling ? If they don't have ya takin money outta one pocket, they gonna take it outta ya other. I paying $17 month per phone (4) for voice and have 7,000 rollover minutes built up. To do internet phone, my guess is my carrier gonna move me from my $19 plan to a $39 plan....$20 more for something I'm paying $17 now for. There's a reason the carriers are putting in all this "detection" technology and adding all those plans....daily GB of bandwidth usage for $10 a month is over.
  9.    #9  
    Don't think carriers have a choice. With evdo and wm5 you can do free calls anyway. One pocket or no pocket dude
  10. #10  
    The 700p will indeed fly. Maybe 50 yards if you have a decent arm. I haven't compared this to other phones, but I'm sure these numbers would be similar. As always though, test this out for yourself, and please, post your results.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11. #11  
    Munk, I think you have to consider the grip and style of flight path initiation. While a baseball style overhand hurl might go 50 yards, I feel confident that a discus style frisbee hurl from the side would go 70 maybe 80. Can't wait for the 700p to come out to test this theory.
  12. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #12  
    try out the nerf grip before test flying...
    I gotta have more cowbell
  13. #13  
    With or without the JATO accessory ?
  14. Quake97's Avatar
    Posts
    557 Posts
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    #14  
    I don't quite understand everyone's gripe about A2DP support. How many devices out there support it now? I actually can't think of one right now. The Treo is a convergent device and therefore is behind the times in technology in the PDA world and the cell phone world. If everyone wanted 1GB of memory, A2DP, Bluetooth 2.0, wifi, GPS, etc. the Treo would cost $1000.

    Joe
  15. jstpa's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    ...
    4. no, no yet atleast in USA. There are third party programs
    .
    What does this mean?

    What third party program can I install on a 700p to give me push e-mail from an exchange server?
  16. #16  
    Chatteremail with EX
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    I don't quite understand everyone's gripe about A2DP support. How many devices out there support it now? I actually can't think of one right now. The Treo is a convergent device and therefore is behind the times in technology in the PDA world and the cell phone world. If everyone wanted 1GB of memory, A2DP, Bluetooth 2.0, wifi, GPS, etc. the Treo would cost $1000.

    Joe
    Lots of WM5 devices support it, or at least have hacks to enable their A2DP support...

    1GB of memory is ridiculous...I don't hear anyone complaining about the 700p's lack of memory... GPS.... I don' t think I've heard anyone complain about GPS, especially considering it's a smartphone, not a GPS receiver....However, BT 2.0, A2DP, and wifi SDIO support all could have been done, without adding much cost (if any) to the device. To make the Treo cost $1000, you'd have to make it a real computer :-\

    Personally, I thought they should at least have inculuded Wifi SDIO support in some manner...it wouldn't be that hard to write a driver seeing as how most (if not all) of their current PDA's support it, and it wouldn't add any additional cost to the the production of the unit.

    Why is the Treo the only convergence device that's behind the times in technology? Doesn't it tell you something when there are other convergence devices (namely the WM5 devices) that offer more features than the Treo, and some of them even come at a cheaper cost to the consumer? Palm isn't bothering to add any of those features because they have a grip on the POS smartphone market, they know most people will buy the 700p whether or not it supports Wifi, A2DP, or BT 2.0, that's why it's behind, not because it's a convergence device. It's simply that Palm doesn't need to add these features to get sales. Being a business, I can understand their mentality, but as a potential customer, it turns me away when I see other devices that do more for less money...
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    Lots of WM5 devices support it, or at least have hacks to enable their A2DP support...

    1GB of memory is ridiculous...I don't hear anyone complaining about the 700p's lack of memory... GPS.... I don' t think I've heard anyone complain about GPS, especially considering it's a smartphone, not a GPS receiver....However, BT 2.0, A2DP, and wifi SDIO support all could have been done, without adding much cost (if any) to the device. To make the Treo cost $1000, you'd have to make it a real computer :-\

    Personally, I thought they should at least have inculuded Wifi SDIO support in some manner...it wouldn't be that hard to write a driver seeing as how most (if not all) of their current PDA's support it, and it wouldn't add any additional cost to the the production of the unit.

    Why is the Treo the only convergence device that's behind the times in technology? Doesn't it tell you something when there are other convergence devices (namely the WM5 devices) that offer more features than the Treo, and some of them even come at a cheaper cost to the consumer? Palm isn't bothering to add any of those features because they have a grip on the POS smartphone market, they know most people will buy the 700p whether or not it supports Wifi, A2DP, or BT 2.0, that's why it's behind, not because it's a convergence device. It's simply that Palm doesn't need to add these features to get sales. Being a business, I can understand their mentality, but as a potential customer, it turns me away when I see other devices that do more for less money...

    To add to this, Palm makes sad excuses for why they don't add these things. They know that most people aren't going to question it. They say "we have a problem with it switching between two radios, so therefore we can't add WiFi" and most people go, "Oh ok". In truth there is no reason for Palm not to have support. They can make all the excuses they want, but at the end of the day there are third-party options. The non-Bluetooth 2.0 thing is ok, I guess. A lot of phones on the market don't have Bluetooth 2.0, however, it is available and Palm could have added it. Same goes for A2DP. I think if Palm really wanted to push this forward as a multimedia device, they should definately have added this. As far as GPS goes, that would have greatly increased the already very over-priced phone. I have no problem with it not including a GPS receiver. In fact, I don't want it to have one in there. The GPS market has been gaining quickly in the past few years and the technology has greatly advanced and I can only assume it will get better in the next few years. You can be assured that if Palm included a GPS device it would be the cheapest, slowest chip on the market. I would rather buy a more advanced receiver with a SiRF Star III chipset.

    And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

    Signed,
    The n00b!

    P.s. Bow before me!

    Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
  19. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #19  
    Ultimately, it boils down to this...Palm didn't have to make the 700p Incredible...or Excellent. They didn't even have to make it good. They simply had to make it good enough.

    The mass market out there doesn't give two hoots in a hellish handbasket about any of the items on the original list (the only possible care might be battery life but I still don't think they'll even care about that). We do -- but we are not the mass market.
  20. DHart's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Ultimately, it boils down to this...Palm didn't have to make the 700p Incredible...or Excellent. They didn't even have to make it good. They simply had to make it good enough.

    The mass market out there doesn't give two hoots in a hellish handbasket about any of the items on the original list (the only possible care might be battery life but I still don't think they'll even care about that). We do -- but we are not the mass market.
    Haggar - you are not only a kind and handsome man but also extremely intelligent. Don't read anything into that, I am just having some fun with you.

    The 700P will be a smashing success in the mass market. You are correct. The mass market is not the collection of geeks here at TC.

    And Palm's marketing has been very good since the introduction of the 600 - my entry point. They have made the most of their image and position in the market place with the product that they can produce. I think they have made some mistakes, but they have not irreparably damaged themselves. The introduction of the WM5 was a master stroke.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions