Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Now that the 700p has EVDO can we finally have verichat on without having to worry about call going directly to the voicemail on sprint?
    Made this just for fun...I'm Kermit

Good question, though if I remember correctly, there were times when I was on Verichat and I was still able to get incoming phone calls.
    On the 650 you could be in any application that uses data but if at the time there is a pause in data use (ie the arrows are gray) the call will come to the handset and not your VM
    Last edited by deesugar; 05/15/2006 at 07:47 PM.
    boo hiss!

what is a kicker for me is to be able to make/receive calls and be surfing the net, downloading webpage -- at the same time

yeah, i'll upgrade to the 700p... evennnnntually

if it allowed concurrent net/calls - i'd be on it NOW
    Quote Originally Posted by megaphone
    if it allowed concurrent net/calls - i'd be on it NOW
    A UMTS or HSDPA Treo would likely do this
    I think the 700p will be able to let you receive calls while on EV-DO. I know it's possible because on my Samsung A900, I changed a certain setting (DDTM if anyone knows what that is) and I can now receive calls while actively transferring data.

I don't know where I read about it, but I'm pretty sure I heard the 700p will receive calls while transferring data.

EDIT: Here it is, starting from post number 32.
    Last edited by Trevante; 05/15/2006 at 03:55 PM.
    Ahhh God. Can someone just simply say yes or no. This thing is so confusing. Either it will work or it wont, there is no may be.... Where are all those EVDO users (current) when you need them.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Yes, you will be able to receive calls while using Ev-DO
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Incoming calls DO come through when you're using EVDO, however you can't do both simultaneously. Some WM5 devices that have WiFi (like the 6700) will let you do WiFI and voice simultaneously, unless it's a Verizon device as they usually disable that ability. (though in some cases it can be "fixed" via a registry hack)
    I wish it weren't so. From PC Magazine article:

"One major barrier against producing a model for Cingular's HSDPA cellular network is Palm OS' inability to handle simultaneous voice and data calls, White said."

Full article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1961581,00.asp
    Is there a separate radio for evdo?
    With EVDO, you can receive phone calls at all times (regardless of whether you're transferring data). However, when you're on a voice call you can't send/receive data.
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarc
    With EVDO, you can receive phone calls at all times (regardless of whether you're transferring data). However, when you're on a voice call you can't send/receive data.

yup, that sums it up (i know bc my brother has a ppc6700 and i tested EVDO to the ground)

....I did the MSL hack for him (allowing calls to come through with EVDO), if that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamrogers
    I wish it weren't so. From PC Magazine article:

"One major barrier against producing a model for Cingular's HSDPA cellular network is Palm OS' inability to handle simultaneous voice and data calls, White said."

Full article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1961581,00.asp
    If you read it carefully, it leaves you with the impression that they are working on removing that barrier and hopefully fixing it if they ever do release a HSDPA Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by 155
    If you read it carefully, it leaves you with the impression that they are working on removing that barrier and hopefully fixing it if they ever do release a HSDPA Treo.
    They probably won't be able to "fix the problem" any time soon. Part of the problem is that PalmOS is not multi-threading like WM5 is. So, until the PalmOS finally migrates to Linux, we're stuck.