Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just had to get that off my chest.

EVDO is nice, but is not a replacement for Wi-fi.

So many people talk about how great it is (and it is, compared to regular Vision), but come on.

I like how they have crippled the 700p so you can't use a wi-fi card either.

Rediculous.
    I really suspect that Palm is saving face by saying that they chose not to support it instead of admitting that they can't support WiFi and a cell radio on Garnet. Remember when Shadowmite hacked WiFi onto the Treo 650 and it killed his data service? It's an OS limitation.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I have a laptop with both and almost always use EVDO. It's fast enough and is metrowide.

If you need >1.5Mbps then you need WiFi.. but what phone needs that? I don't think most phone CPUs are fast enough for 1.5Mbps+.

EVDO Rev A is coming next year, which will have 3.1Mbps down/1.8Mbps up and latency as low as 50ms. Unfortunately the 700p will not be upgradable to Rev A, but Rev 0 is good enough for a phone. I don't see why WiFi is needed unless not in an EVDO area (Sprint plans to have nearly 100% of network on evdo next year) or you can't afford EVDO.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    so when I'm sitting in a hotel with almost no signal, or in a basement of building with zero signal I'm screwed. When many hotels and businesses have wifi setup along with having many dead spots for cell phones, it seems like a no brainer to have wifi. So I still have to keep my laptop or Axim with me to use wifi. Ahhh...convergence at it's best.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I think they could work it out. I just think they've a deal with the providers. Sprint,
    Verizon, etc, all want you to buy juicy data plans!
    ^If you don't get a voice signal, then what good is the phone?

I've travel monthly with EVDO laptop card and have yet to reach an area that had WiFi but did not have EVDO (or 1xRTT).

I was at Atlanta airport and the wifi was jammed. I was surfing the net on EVDO and WiFi laptop users were wondering how I got on WiFi as it was overloaded. EVDO shined at 1Mbps.
    I think it's a limitation of Garnet. Sprint and Verizon both have devices with wifi and EV-DO.
    Jimmie Geddes
    that's just a stupid question. It can still be used as an email and internet device. It's this thing called convergence...

Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    ^If you don't get a voice signal, then what good is the phone?
    I've been in many spots where I have wifi access. My office for one. For some odd reason, I barely get 1 bar for a signal, yet we have wifi all over the place. I've been in office buildings, hotels and hospitals that are setup for wifi but many spots don't have cell phone coverage. It's all well and good if you're at an airport or a panera or any other place that is wide open where you get a good cell signal. And EVDO isn't seamless across the country whereas more and more businesses, communities and such are putting in wifi. I get a text message from someone and need to reply, but all of a sudden I have no signal. If there was wifi around I could still hop on email and email a message to his phone. And again, if evdo isn't in the area i'm in, I have no high speed option unless I'm carrying my Axim. And the whole point of convergence is that I shouldn't have to carry my Axim. This is a fourth generation device that still uses 2nd generation technology with a 1st generation thought process.
    Last edited by crogs571; 05/15/2006 at 11:14 AM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    even staplers come with wifi nowadays. what a shame.
    Let's think about this issue logically.

Which wireless technology has broader coverage overall? wifi or evdo?

If you want push email capability, would you go with wifi?

For those of you who want wifi so badly, perhaps you should consider a TX instead.
    It's simple. There are too many devices with WiFi out there. They are good phones to boot and just about all carriers have them. The Treo 700p is by no means your only choice. It's pretty pointless to moan, complain, and be bitter about it. Simply don't give Palm or the carrier your money. Give it to a competing hardware maker or carrier. It's as simple as that.
    you're missing the point. This shouldn't be an either/or decision.

Lets talk logic again.

Convergence of a pda and a cellphone creates what? A smartphone

A common almost expected feature of better PDA's in this day and age is Wifi.

Now logic would dictate that an extremely expensive device that wants you to do away with your pda would have the features on it's device so you could do away with it. Having wifi is an option, not an alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Rome

For those of you who want wifi so badly, perhaps you should consider a TX instead.
    Gee, for a minute I thought I was in the ipod lounge. That's fine if you want to be a fanboy. I thought this was a discussion forum to discuss the good, the bad and the ugly of the product. And to my knowledge there are not too many Palm devices out on the market, especially with the i500 being discontinued and LG being quiet since they acquired Samsung's Palm rights.

Quote Originally Posted by xchpstang
    It's simple. There are too many devices with WiFi out there. They are good phones to boot and just about all carriers have them. The Treo 700p is by no means your only choice. It's pretty pointless to moan, complain, and be bitter about it. Simply don't give Palm or the carrier your money. Give it to a competing hardware maker or carrier. It's as simple as that.
    There is always compromise in every choice we make.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome

I'm really getting tired of this "get over it" mindset. Palm is expecting us to shell out $649-699 retail, or maybe $500 if we're good little boys and girls and start a new 2 year contract with Sprint. At that price, it should be like any other world quality phone and provide WiFi and any other feature WM5 can and does deliver. There are NO EXCUSES for providing less - and it's NOT a carrier issue - the 6700 provides it on the very same network.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    just wait and get the 700W version, and you can then use wifi if it's a dealbreaker for you right? just my 2 cents
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    I for one am glad the 700p does not have WiFi. Don't want the extra price or battery drain. As one who has a laptop with both, I prefer to use EVDO at all times. I can't remember the last time I've used WiFi.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I'm really getting tired of this "get over it" mindset. Palm is expecting us to shell out $649-699 retail, or maybe $500 if we're good little boys and girls and start a new 2 year contract with Sprint. At that price, it should be like any other world quality phone and provide WiFi and any other feature WM5 can and does deliver. There are NO EXCUSES for providing less - and it's NOT a carrier issue - the 6700 provides it on the very same network.
    If it is going to be $500 then I think I will get 6700 for $399. I need Wifi! I want to do video streaming with my home media center. This way, I can watch movie while I am taking a bath! EVDO won't let me do that unless I put my media center out to the Internet.
    christo1970 - But what if the 700W is a deal breaker for me. Most of the reviews of it say it's not an upgrade to the 650, but just different. So after having a 650 for 18 months, I should wait a few more months for Sprint, and pay another $500+ for something that isn't an upgrade. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it?

Xenophonite - If Wifi isn't powered on, it wouldn't drain the battery. If you don't want it, you wouldn't have to turn it on. The extra price is for those that want to buy the wifi SD card. Software drivers for the card should be free or included in the price of the card. You mention that Sprint will have 100% of it's network with EVDO soon, so it shouldn't be much of an issue. Unless Sprint has expanded it's network world-wide, I don't know how this helps me when traveling overseas.

There are very legit reasons for wanting wifi and Palm never addresses them, instead choosing to ignore them.
    A friend has the i830 on Verizon with wifi and evdo. He said he hasn't used the wifi more than once, and that one time was the day he bought it to try it out. He has never been in an area where he doesn't have evdo OR an area where he would prefer to connect to a wireless network rather than wifi.
    Granted some of you want to connect to home networks and watch media in the bathtub as it says above, but really most people don't need both.

The bottom line is the device is what it is. Palm released it and I'm sure it will be a sellout once again. If it doesn't meet your needs, don't buy it. There are probably others who want a device that does less and costs less. You can't please everyone with one device and if this device doesn't please you, keep looking. No on is making you buy the Treo.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast