Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    ......Hopefully the next model with a new OS and better hardware will deliver WiFi.....
    Hope must surely spring eternal. For how many years and models have we been saying that?
    I just want to be able to connect EVERYWHERE at higher speeds.
    While there will always be some deadspots, Sprint has pretty solid plans to have EVDO on nearly 100% of network by end of next year. They will also start roaming Alltel EVDO this July and Alltel plans more rural EVDO rollout. So if you get a voice signal, you'll likely have EVDO by end of next year. And today, if you get voice, you likely get 1xRTT (with 1xRTT roaming coming in July).

Verizon may take longer to get 100% of network on EVDO as most of the remaining markets w/out EVDO only have 800mhz towers, which do not have much capacity for EVDO. Verizon will need to rollout more 1900mhz towers in remaining markets to catch up with Sprint.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    While there will always be some deadspots, Sprint has pretty solid plans to have EVDO on nearly 100% of network by end of next year.
    I hope their network expands far outside the US and every remote island with Internet access. Because otherwise, this really doesn't mean a lot to a fair amount of the wifi supporters. If I'm on an island in Greece and Sprint has EVDO there, then fine, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. And I bet I could find wifi somewhere.
    This goes far beyond finding WiFi somewhere guys. If you're at the office or home, and you have a WiFi network, it is so much better, faster, and you can browse files, etc., that EVDO or HSDPA just won't do. The issue isn't whether it's necessary all the time, its whether you DESERVE all the options at that price. Look at the 6700 on both Sprint and Verizon - you get it ALL for the same (or lower) price - why should you have to be satisfied with Palm's lame "EV-DO is good enough" routine?

Just because Palm says so...?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    I hope their network expands far outside the US and every remote island with Internet access. Because otherwise, this really doesn't mean a lot to a fair amount of the wifi supporters. If I'm on an island in Greece and Sprint has EVDO there, then fine, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. And I bet I could find wifi somewhere.
    If one travels to an Island in Greece, one should consider GSM. GSM tries to cover Greece but even if there was a CDMA carrier in Greece, your Sprint phone would not work on it. I traveled all over Tuscany last summer and was never out of coverage. [Sprint will give one a GSM SIM for international travel but one must provide one's own phone. Calls to one's Sprint number will ring on the GSM phone and calls from that phone will be billed to one's Sprint account.]
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    despite the evil efforts of Verizon and some others, wifi is expanding its availability as well.

NY's parks, Phila., SF, N.O. -- within 5 years free city wide wifi (or its enhanced variant) will be a normal expected service, demanded by citizens and business. It will soon be seen as essential utility required for a city to be competitive -- a utility that modern cities need to have available both for commerce and for their own municipal uses (police, fire, social workers, inspectors etc.etc)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    despite the evil efforts of Verizon and some others, wifi is expanding its availability as well.

NY's parks, Phila., SF, N.O. -- within 5 years free city wide wifi (or its enhanced variant) will be a normal expected service, demanded by citizens and business. It will soon be seen as essential utility required for a city to be competitive -- a utility that modern cities need to have available both for commerce and for their own municipal uses (police, fire, social workers, inspectors etc.etc)
    yes, and in 5 years, you will have your treo 950wp with wi-fi and ev-do.

Better yet, maybe you'll have your 700p with a wi-fi add on!!!
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE

Wee...my wallet's thinner already! Way ta go taxman!

I can hardly wait until rural areas decide that it's not fair to have Wi-Fi in the big city only. Can't wait to start paying for Wi-Fi towers at government expense way out where the buffalo roam...
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Wee...my wallet's thinner already! Way ta go taxman!

I can hardly wait until rural areas decide that it's not fair to have Wi-Fi in the big city only. Can't wait to start paying for Wi-Fi towers at government expense way out where the buffalo roam...
    the buffalo may still be using the 700P and therefore not need wifi -- but most cities will soon understand that the value they collectively gain from having that bubble of semi-seamless connectivity will more than pay for the small incremental tax cost.

universal wifi availability will certainly as well be a factor that a business will examine in determining where it will locate
    Last edited by BARYE; 05/20/2006 at 01:02 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Hope must surely spring eternal. For how many years and models have we been saying that?
    You know, Einstein was right. Time really is relative. In the span of our business (and personal) lifetimes, how long have we had access to true email and many of the applications we use on handheld devices that make us truly more productive. In the scheme of things, a very short time.

I echo the sentiments stated here many times before: "If this Treo holds no value for you, don't complain. Just buy something else or wait for the next model."
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    You know, Einstein was right. Time really is relative. In the span of our business (and personal) lifetimes, how long have we had access to true email and many of the applications we use on handheld devices that make us truly more productive. In the scheme of things, a very short time.

I echo the sentiments stated here many times before: "If this Treo holds no value for you, don't complain. Just buy something else or wait for the next model."
    I totally agree! Although...I'm not sure if I want to agree with someone who's avatar is Ronald McDonald's beach attire...

EDIT: Hey - I just realized that attire would also look great on ME!
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    While there will always be some deadspots, Sprint has pretty solid plans to have EVDO on nearly 100% of network by end of next year. They will also start roaming Alltel EVDO this July and Alltel plans more rural EVDO rollout. So if you get a voice signal, you'll likely have EVDO by end of next year. And today, if you get voice, you likely get 1xRTT (with 1xRTT roaming coming in July).

Verizon may take longer to get 100% of network on EVDO as most of the remaining markets w/out EVDO only have 800mhz towers, which do not have much capacity for EVDO. Verizon will need to rollout more 1900mhz towers in remaining markets to catch up with Sprint.
    xeno - all well and good. But I am a GSM guy. Not by choice but by business requirements. But that makes no difference. You're describing the completion of networks WHERE THEY EXIST - and in the US only. Many folks who would like WiFi on the Treo are seeking to fill in the deadzones in the existing cellular networks (regardless of flavor) and expand it to places (globally) where it doesn´t currently exist.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I totally agree! Although...I'm not sure if I want to agree with someone who's avatar is Ronald McDonald's beach attire...

EDIT: Hey - I just realized that attire would also look great on ME!
    Haggar -

I shot that on vacation a few years ago. Late afternoon sun shining into a small shop in a Mexican fishing village. It just always takes me back to a fun peaceful vacation with friends in perfect weather and great food. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...lies/smile.gif

I guess I need to update the avatar after a couple of years. I'll look for a new image.
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    You know, I have a client with a notebook PC, and he has an EVDO PCMCIA card for connectivity. The computer also has built-in WiFi, of course.

Know what? He stopped using the EVDO card earlier this year. He said the speeds have been steadily declining over the past 12 months, to the point that he couldn't stand using it anymore. Now he doesn't even bother with it.

Just a data point.

-Warr
    Groan! I just got a Verizon laptop card and turned off the wi-fi (got tired of the access manager popups about non-public wi-fi signals). So far so good in terms of speed and coverage, but I only travel in metro areas of CA. I was in Lathrop (Stockton area) last week and experienced the slower "Quick 2 Net" service. Slowwwww......

Looking forward to 700p, but I am locked with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    If one travels to an Island in Greece, one should consider GSM. GSM tries to cover Greece but even if there was a CDMA carrier in Greece, your Sprint phone would not work on it. I traveled all over Tuscany last summer and was never out of coverage. [Sprint will give one a GSM SIM for international travel but one must provide one's own phone. Calls to one's Sprint number will ring on the GSM phone and calls from that phone will be billed to one's Sprint account.]
    It depends on how often one travels to Greece I suppose. I usually take two vacations a year, so around 2 weeks a year my phone becomes useless. It's not worth it for me to go to GSM as the plans are more expensive, the technology is a little more advanced, and the newest Palm OS Treo's always seem to come out on Sprint first. Sprint's coverage is also by far the best in my home area. GSM just doesn't make sense for me when some wifi drivers do the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    This goes far beyond finding WiFi somewhere guys. If you're at the office or home, and you have a WiFi network, it is so much better, faster, and you can browse files, etc., that EVDO or HSDPA just won't do. The issue isn't whether it's necessary all the time, its whether you DESERVE all the options at that price. Look at the 6700 on both Sprint and Verizon - you get it ALL for the same (or lower) price - why should you have to be satisfied with Palm's lame "EV-DO is good enough" routine?

Just because Palm says so...?
    Totally agree with you dstrauss. IMO, If wifi was on more common ground...enough to be as consistant as a network, then I could see why Palm and the carriers would be holding back, but with the current availbability of wifi, it is an option. An option that should be included.
    at&t iPhone3G
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567