Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I had to sign up after reading this. I think that palm has a deal with the company that makes the wifi sleds, why wouldn't they want us to use wifi, especially if we had to buy the palm wifi card. I think I will keep my 650 untill someone comes out with a treo like form factor with wifi built in, I can't believe palm keeps making small upgrades and making us suckers buy them.
    I guess I just don't see it as an either/or thing as Palm does. EVDO isn't everywhere in the US yet. Heck someone said that 1xRTT isn't either. And then there's the whole area outside of the US where wifi would be key.

Go to Aruba and your choices are...

1) Bring a laptop for the free wifi access and hope it doesn't get stolen because it doesn't fit in a safe.
    2) Pay about $10 per 30 minutes of checking e-mail and call home for $3 a minute (costs estimated)
    3) (In theoretical world of Wifi Treo's) Go to the wifi area, check e-mail. Use Skype-Out (because Skype built a client due to the wifi being included) to call home. Total cost is free.

I like #3 myself. And I'm willing to purchase the hardware to make it necessary. I just want the option of making that purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdZilla
    I had to sign up after reading this. I think that palm has a deal with the company that makes the wifi sleds, why wouldn't they want us to use wifi, especially if we had to buy the palm wifi card. I think I will keep my 650 untill someone comes out with a treo like form factor with wifi built in, I can't believe palm keeps making small upgrades and making us suckers buy them.
    Why would they have a deal with the sled company when they could be selling their own Wifi card. They surely would make a bigger cut that way.
    palm prob gets a kickback, and doesn't have to worry about tech support (a win win for palm) not for us
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Why would they have a deal with the sled company when they could be selling their own Wifi card. They surely would make a bigger cut that way.
    I agree I don't think it is the sled. I think there is a deeper issue as to why they just won't do wifi consistently...or at all in the Treo case.

Something is up that they have only release like 4 devices in their history that have wifi...and they obviously have no concern to alleviate that problem...unless it is an OS problem and they no longer own the OS, hmmm.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    I guess my point was how come wifi works with the sled, but not with the card. I am not a technical person, but it would seem to me that since there is a wifi solution with the sled that the card should work as well. Does anyone know why the sled works and the card doesn't.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EdZilla
    I guess my point was how come wifi works with the sled, but not with the card. I am not a technical person, but it would seem to me that since there is a wifi solution with the sled that the card should work as well. Does anyone know why the sled works and the card doesn't.
    The sled is it's own device utilizing it's own antenna and circuitry. It is not relying on the Palm OS or CPU to do all of the work. The sled is simply an external device (modem) that the OS sees and uses it accordingly. The sled does all of the work that the WiFi card would make the Treo do thus taking the burden off the Treo. voila.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    This thread has gotten pretty long, but I'll throw in my comments. I don't really care that the Treo doesn't have wifi. It's not a deal breaker for me since the data speeds on EDGE are fine. How much faster than you sync your email, really? Bringing down mobile websites, what, 3 seconds faster?

Would I like to have wifi? Of course! It would be cool for MobiTV and Skype, if they ever make a Palm version.

Joe
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    This thread has gotten pretty long, but I'll throw in my comments. I don't really care that the Treo doesn't have wifi. It's not a deal breaker for me since the data speeds on EDGE are fine. How much faster than you sync your email, really? Bringing down mobile websites, what, 3 seconds faster?

Would I like to have wifi? Of course! It would be cool for MobiTV and Skype, if they ever make a Palm version.

Joe
    Skype is available for the Palm...a third party did it.
    http://www.eqo.com/download_win.shtmld

EDGE and 1xRTT are slow in comparison to HSDPA and EvDO...it's like saying downloading a web page is only 3 seconds faster on DSL than dial-up. Also, the new services offered are more streaming and larger file sizes. Not going to go over well on old speed technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    The sled is it's own device utilizing it's own antenna and circuitry......
    ....and power. Do not forget the power. Some here think it is an OS problem but I have always thought it was a battery life problem.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    ....and power. Do not forget the power. Some here think it is an OS problem but I have always thought it was a battery life problem.
    Good point...thanks; I forgot about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man
    Those who are displeased have a wide range of options. Among them is talking with other people about it. That's what I and quite a few others have chosen to do.
    This should be made into a t-shirt. Or posted as a sticky here.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Let's be honest.

Having Wi-fi is INSIGNIFICANT if you have EVDO. Wi-fi is limited to certain spots where EVDO is EVERYWHERE.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    Let's be honest.

Having Wi-fi is INSIGNIFICANT if you have EVDO. Wi-fi is limited to certain spots where EVDO is EVERYWHERE.
    This is getting highly repetitive. There are other advantages to having a wi-fi capable device.

If it's insignificant to you, congrats. To some, it isn't.

Those who want people to stop complaining, consider the possibility that your continued protests fuel the cycle of complaints that might otherwise have burned out.

And with that, I thank you all for the information and speculation that you have shared. I'm glad there's a Treo community out here for enthusiasts to seek refuge.

Peace.
    There may be some other reason as the cool and eagerly awaited
    Motorola Q (soon to be released) is also lacking WiFi. On the other
    hand, that ****-ugly Nokia...

- mvk
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex
    There may be some other reason as the cool and eagerly awaited
    Motorola Q (soon to be released) is also lacking WiFi. On the other
    hand, that ****-ugly Nokia...

- mvk
    Please correct me if I am wrong but hasn't the Motorola Q been "soon to be released" since before the start of silly season?
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    Let's be honest.

No actually, Ev-DO isn't available everywhere, and it's certainly not available when you don't have a signal....
    Well, the more I read Palm's comments on the issue, and weigh that against Shadowmite's recent comments about Ev-DO tethering tracking, and combine that with the fact that Sprint is now offering an official phone-as-modem option for an extra $25/month, the more I now think that the lack of SDIO Wi-Fi support was dictated by Sprint. The planets are aligned and Sprint now has both an official Wi-Fi-alternative package to add on to people's accounts and a way to track whether or not they're tethering. They want our money and they want to force us towards the PAM add-on instead of doing "Wi-Fi on our own". And, if so, that really sucks. It would mark a great milestone in the carrier lock-down of the once-open Palm OS. How much longer will it be before they prevent us from installing our own "not bought from Sprint's store" applications?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    No actually, Ev-DO isn't available everywhere, and it's certainly not available when you don't have a signal....
    WiFi doesn't work when you don't have a signal either.

If I am away from a physical building or home...it doesn't work. I have a better chance of having something with EvDO or even 1xRTT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    Neither is wifi. I am willing to bet that evdo is available in more places than wifi.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast