Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    You mention that Sprint will have 100% of it's network with EVDO soon, so it shouldn't be much of an issue. Unless Sprint has expanded it's network world-wide, I don't know how this helps me when traveling overseas.
    Why aren't you complaining that the phone doesn't have CDMA as well as GSM capabilities built in if you are buying a convergent device that you want to use worldwide? This phone is made and sold on Sprint, or made and sold on Verizon - to be used primarily on their networks. Is the phone function less important than the data function? If so you may want to buy another device that doesn't have a phone but has wifi.

There are always tradeoffs, no device will have everything.
    You know, I have a client with a notebook PC, and he has an EVDO PCMCIA card for connectivity. The computer also has built-in WiFi, of course.

Know what? He stopped using the EVDO card earlier this year. He said the speeds have been steadily declining over the past 12 months, to the point that he couldn't stand using it anymore. Now he doesn't even bother with it.

Just a data point.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    ^Yeah, that's been the case for Verizon EVDO. Sprint has more capacity and has been able to maintain speeds as subscribers rise. I typically get 1Mbps+ on Sprint and 600Kbps if deep in a building. I typically get 400Kbps to maybe 600Kbps on Verizon EVDO but often below 300Kbps. Verizon generally does not put EVDO on 800mhz towers so has a much lower tower/user ratio than Sprint.

We have both Verizon and Sprint cards at work that people can checkout when traveling. No one wants the Verizon card becuase it is slow and Verizon has less EVDO coverage than Sprint.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Here is an example of Sprint/Verizon performance comparison in Vegas...
    http://www.dslreports.com/archive?zi...=&start=Search
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    You know, I have a client with a notebook PC, and he has an EVDO PCMCIA card for connectivity. The computer also has built-in WiFi, of course.

Know what? He stopped using the EVDO card earlier this year. He said the speeds have been steadily declining over the past 12 months, to the point that he couldn't stand using it anymore. Now he doesn't even bother with it.

Just a data point.

-Warr
    Hey Warr - is that "Hollywood" or "Lowrider" in your avatar (or maybe just a lowriding Hollywood star?).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    Why aren't you complaining that the phone doesn't have CDMA as well as GSM capabilities built in if you are buying a convergent device that you want to use worldwide? This phone is made and sold on Sprint, or made and sold on Verizon - to be used primarily on their networks. Is the phone function less important than the data function? If so you may want to buy another device that doesn't have a phone but has wifi.

There are always tradeoffs, no device will have everything.
    For me the phone function isn't as necessary as the data. When I'm outside the US, I don't really feel the need to call people. I can stay up to date with occasional IM and e-mail.

And yes, I find that I might have to buy an Axim as another poster mentioned. The problem that I have with that, is that it means having to spend $200+ (I'm guessing). It's wasteful to have to pay for a second screen, memory, CPU, etc., when all I really want is some software drivers for the device I have. As someone else mentioned, the point of the Treo is convergence, so the answer of "buy another device" is pretty silly to me.

I'm okay in hardware tradeoffs. I don't expect to get 10 hour talk time on a RAZR or anything like that. I don't expect a 2" screen to replace my TV at home. I don't expect to use the keyboard for all my computing needs. These are all tradeoffs that I've come to accept. However, there's really not a reason for software tradeoff. I find it pretty inexcusable that I can't plug in an SD wifi card and have it work because they can't or haven't written the drivers for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by batmon
    If it is going to be $500 then I think I will get 6700 for $399. I need Wifi! I want to do video streaming with my home media center. This way, I can watch movie while I am taking a bath! EVDO won't let me do that unless I put my media center out to the Internet.
    LOL! On a more serious note, can anyone who uses WiFi on a phone (6700, etc) comment as to how time consuming it is to setup a connection? Aren't hotspots usually encrypted? I live in the USVI where hotspots are the areas not covered by trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I'm really getting tired of this "get over it" mindset. Palm is expecting us to shell out $649-699 retail, or maybe $500 if we're good little boys and girls and start a new 2 year contract with Sprint. At that price, it should be like any other world quality phone and provide WiFi and any other feature WM5 can and does deliver. There are NO EXCUSES for providing less - and it's NOT a carrier issue - the 6700 provides it on the very same network.
    They do not care what you pay. You are not the customer. If you buy it from Palm, expect to pay $700- but they expect you to buy from Verizon or Sprint.

Verizon and Sprint are positioning EV-DO as broadband. They are not going to buy a device that is not compatible with that strategy.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    I really suspect that Palm is saving face by saying that they chose not to support it instead of admitting that they can't support WiFi and a cell radio on Garnet. Remember when Shadowmite hacked WiFi onto the Treo 650 and it killed his data service? It's an OS limitation.
    I think you are exactly right. As has been pointed out by others (in other threads), lack of WiFi appears to be an OS limitation. The carriers no doubt are anti-WiFi, but if they truly held sway over Treo designs, WiFi would not exist for the 700w.

I agree with you also, mikec, that claims of equivalency of the speeds of cellular and Wi-Fi are baloney - so far. Both technologies are improving rapidly in speed and coverage. The reality is that there are legitimate times and places where the use of one technology is preferable over the other.

I suspect if/when a Treo Linux OS debuts (speculation on my part), it will have the capability to accomodate cellular and Wi-Fi.
    Quote Originally Posted by ehcruzan
    LOL! On a more serious note, can anyone who uses WiFi on a phone (6700, etc) comment as to how time consuming it is to setup a connection? Aren't hotspots usually encrypted? I live in the USVI where hotspots are the areas not covered by trees.
    Encrypted or not, it doesn't take more than a minute or two if you know what you're doing.

Turn on wifi, search for available networks, select network, put in WEP key if necessary, and connect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Let's think about this issue logically.

Which wireless technology has broader coverage overall? wifi or evdo?

If you want push email capability, would you go with wifi?

For those of you who want wifi so badly, perhaps you should consider a TX instead.
    I've long been looking at smartphones as a way to replace laptops.
    If my office building has wifi, I want my tech support people to be able to help where ever they are. Often they are on floors underground. evdo won't help them there. Plus, I won't let them on our network from an external source. But if they had wifi, they could get on our network and get the job done.

On a personal note, I've got a network at home. It seems a shame that I can't just quickly, securely, and easily exchange files with a computer in my basement.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffa
    I've long been looking at smartphones as a way to replace laptops.
    If my office building has wifi, I want my tech support people to be able to help where ever they are. Often they are on floors underground. evdo won't help them there. Plus, I won't let them on our network from an external source. But if they had wifi, they could get on our network and get the job done.

On a personal note, I've got a network at home. It seems a shame that I can't just quickly, securely, and easily exchange files with a computer in my basement.
    No smartphone today will replace your laptop, if ever. So if you want a complete laptop experience on a smartphone, stick with a laptop.

As for you wifi scenarios....yes, they are very valid and plausible. But ask yourself how often do these scenarios actually come up, and then ask yourself how often do you want to check your email while walking, driving(only if you are the NOT the driver ), eating, and shopping....

For me, the alway-on feature and broad coverage of evdo is the killer function for me...wifi doesn't even come close.
    What of the GSM Users that only have EDGE support? When either device ports to GSM we will not have the luxury of EVDO Speeds in my coverage areas. WiFi is a nice option with the 700w, but the 700p has no option to use WiFi? that blows.

Why not admit WiFi can't be done on the Treo's palm OS and be done with it.
    Palm V -> Pocket PC -> Treo 650 GSM
    ----------------- ^
    Slipped to the "Dark Side" for a while, But I'm back
    How could it be the OS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Tungstens have been using Palm's WiFi card for awhile now, right?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    How could it be the OS. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Tungstens have been using Palm's WiFi card for awhile now, right?
    Its the mixing of radios (cellular and WiFi) that is fubar for Frankengarnet. Shadowmite proved it months (years) ago on the 650 - he could get wifi to work in the slot IF you were willing to do a reset every time you switched between voice and data (and back)...no one was...
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Ah. Now I remember. So Garnet cannot support two radios simultaneously. Oh well.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I just spent 2 weeks in rural Hawaii where I had to drive 15 miles to get any sprint connection at all and it was mostly terrible and horribly slow to get email on my Treo 600. However, I know that there were free hot spots in the neighborhood and another at a nearby cafe. Without Wi-Fi, the 700p won't be an improvement there. Palm is really pathetic. It was a huge mistake in the 650, but it's 2006 and Wi-Fi isn't even an add on option. Totally nonsensical! I guess they are trying to go out of business or something.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    That's odd because Sprint doesn't have anywhere near as many EVDO towers (or whatever you call them) as Verizon. I did some research in evdo forums and found that sometimes the EVDO card is a major factor. I own the Kyocera card and am also a business traveller, and I consistently get near 800K download speeds, I've heard only negative comments about the inexpensive EVDO card that you can get from Verizon. I don't even use WIFI connection anymore even though I do subscribe to TMobile Hotspots, and also have no problem using my card in Hotels. I find that it's faster to connect to my EVDO network then it is to get connected to Tmobiles Hotspot after I have taken either my IBM or DELL laptop out of suspend mode. I'm thinking of getting rid of my Tmobile account. I can even use my EVDO while I'm on a plane before I have to shut down for take-off; that's something you can't do with WIFI until they start implementing that on planes like Lufthansa does.

Best Regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    ^Yeah, that's been the case for Verizon EVDO. Sprint has more capacity and has been able to maintain speeds as subscribers rise. I typically get 1Mbps+ on Sprint and 600Kbps if deep in a building. I typically get 400Kbps to maybe 600Kbps on Verizon EVDO but often below 300Kbps. Verizon generally does not put EVDO on 800mhz towers so has a much lower tower/user ratio than Sprint.

We have both Verizon and Sprint cards at work that people can checkout when traveling. No one wants the Verizon card becuase it is slow and Verizon has less EVDO coverage than Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmereos
    That's odd because Sprint doesn't have anywhere near as many EVDO towers (or whatever you call them) as Verizon.
    Mike
    Actually, Sprint has more towers than Verizon. According to this Verizon had 22,000, Sprint had 25,000 and Cingular had over 44,000 sites in Aug 2005.

http://www.steelintheair.com/Blog/ce...rinfoblog.html

The numbers now are about 26,000+ for Sprint and 24,000 for Verizon. Sprint plans to add 10,000 more CDMA cellsites on existing Nextel sites and started end of last year rolling out more.
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/a...essNetwork.jsp

Now, 50%-70% of Verizon's towers are 800mhz and Verizon has rarely been putting EVDO on 800mhz due to less EVDO capacity. (Notice that most markets that are exclusively 800mhz do not have EVDO yet - see wirelessadvisor.com .) So less than 13,000 Verizon towers are 1900mhz. All of Sprint towers are 1900mhz.

Then factor that Verizon has 53 million+ CDMA users and Sprint has 35m+ CDMA users. Sprint has a much better user/tower ratio and is able to proactively maintain a good ratio. Verizon is scrambling to add 1900mhz in other markets just to get EVDO out the door. Sprint already has EVDO in far more markets than Verizon for this reason.

Combined Sprint clearly has 2X-4X more EVDO capacity than Verizon.
    wifi is good for skype type telephony when you are out of the country. Also the ppc6700 is just ONE smartphone that has been out for awhile that has BOTH wifi and evdo...
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast