Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am getting all excited about the 700p and I don't even know if my area has EvDO.
    Where do I check if my area has EvDO coverage?
    <s></s>
    Quote Originally Posted by Headake
    I am getting all excited about the 700p and I don't even know if my area has EvDO.
    Where do I check if my area has EvDO coverage?

My Sprint store has a map up that shows the coverage in the Grand Rapids area, I do not know if the Sprint or Verizon websites have a national map to look at. . . . .

Cheers, Perry
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    My Sprint store has a map up that shows the coverage in the Grand Rapids area, I do not know if the Sprint or Verizon websites have a national map to look at. . . . .

Cheers, Perry
    Check out the map next time and tell me if it covers Redondo Beach, CA
    <s></s>
    See this thread for markets with EVDO.
    http://www.evdoforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1841

Sprint is in significantly more markets and plans to do nearly 100% of network on EVDO be end of next year. Sprint also signed EVDO roaming agreements with Alltel, which goes into effect July 1.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    See this thread for markets with EVDO.

Sprint is in significantly more markets and plans to do nearly 100% of network on EVDO be end of next year. Sprint also signed EVDO roaming agreements with Alltel, which goes into effect July 1.

Well my luck I dont see the areas I am frequently in listed there.
    <s></s>
    Quote Originally Posted by Headake
    Check out the map next time and tell me if it covers Redondo Beach, CA
    According to the above list -- LA is the 2nd market listed -- how much of the LA basin that is -- is another question. . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Here is Sprint's LA map. Orange has EVDO now, yellow is future EVDO (planned for end of this year).

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...0Angeles,%20Ca
  8.    #8  
    thank you
    <s></s>
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    anyone know how much EvDO costs on Sprint?? I couldn't find that listed on their website.
    $15/month for basic powervision, which allows unlimited in-phone web/data access
    $20-$25 for additional content, media functions
    $40 unlimited to tether to laptop as a modem (includes unlimited in-phone data)
    $60/month for laptop cards
    The maps and carrier claims from any carrier are about as verifiable as Dubya's military service. The only thing I would trust is a) an independent test article in a recognized trade publication (last one I saw was January where Verizon / Sprint / Cingular broadband coverage was, respectively, 60, 45, 20 MMA (major market areas). The maps show a small bubble of coverage in an area with a cellular store near me but he (the store salesman) wase unable to get a broadband signal there. Coverage apparanetly is defined by the carriers as "we have at least 1 tower in that area upgraded"....on this topic I taking a "I believe it when I see it " approach.
    Sprint literally does have EVDO in over 150 markets (they claim 220 but it's 150 contiguous MSA markets). Verizon is in 85 contiguous markets. (they claim 180 markets). I travel every month by road and plane. I've never seen a situation on Sprint's maps where they claim EVDO but is not. In fact, there tends to be more EVDO areas than what the maps indicate. Many on evdoforums.com have stated the same.

Here is a list based on MSA markets defined by census bureau, not the way the carriers define it. More realistic. Of markets over 100K population, Sprint covers 75%+ of metro, not 'just one tower'. By end of next year, if you get a voice signal, you'll likely be able to get EVDO on Sprint.

how did they all miss albuquerque, nm???
    Albuquerqe is an afflilate, Alamaso market. Sprint just acquired Alamaso so expect EVDO in Alamosa markets so time next year. The maps show future coverage that will be rolled out by end of this year. Sprint also just signed an EVDO roaming agreement with Alltel, which plans to add EVDO in areas Sprint does not plan to (generally rural areas). Starting July 1, Sprint/Alltel users can roam to each others EVDO/1xRTT networks for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Sprint literally does have EVDO in over 150 markets (they claim 220 but it's 150 contiguous MSA markets). Verizon is in 85 contiguous markets. (they claim 180 markets). I travel every month by road and plane. I've never seen a situation on Sprint's maps where they claim EVDO but is not.
    My question is says who ? Sprint ? EVDO web site ? Not good enough for me. If the carrier is going to limit journalist to 60 areas where they can go and test the speed of their networks, than to my mind if they are only confident enough in 60 area, not 150, 180 or 220, to let independednt parties do testing, then they are obviously shy about how well the networks perform in those areas.

I have inquired at two stores which are located in EVDO areas as per the Sprint coverage maps here on LI and they have no coverage. One store is droppping Sprint as a carrier as they just don't sell any Sprint phones because anyone who tries it in the store doesn't want it....their other 4 stores will still carry Sprint but the branch by me is dropping at end of this month.

Now I am not saying that Sprint coverage is bad everywhere ....I am saying you will find pockets everywhere where 1 carrier outshines another. I am also saying that, in my experience, they are all "full of soup" as to what their coverage is. Sprint exagerates, Verizon exagerates, Cingular exagerates. And my experience is not unusual as several trade mags have reported the same thing.
    ^You are talking about trade rags reported back in Nov. Sprint has been adding EVDO at a rate of 13M coverage per week according to RCR Wireless News.

Might want to check evdoforums.com with 5000+ EVDO users. They have far more knowledge and user experencies of EVDO than a trade rag. Sprint's maps are considered to be too conservative. But of course in deep buildings if you can't get a voice signal, you don't have EVDO. The bottom line is that Sprint is in way way more markets with EVDO than Verizon. This is simply not disputable. Check evdoforums.com and you'll see that many Verizon EVDO users switched to Sprint but not vice versa.

I use a Sprint EVDO laptop card primarily but also have access to a Verizon card from work. I've traveled to dozens of places with both. Sprint is without question in far more markets than Verizon (and generally has better performance). But Verizon may have some edgey areas better covered while Sprint may have other edgey areas covered with EVDO.

Last edited by xenophonite; 05/17/2006 at 09:30 AM.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    http://www.evdoinfo.com/EVDO/Info/Ve...t_20051029605/

Has a search by zip code for Sprint and VZW. It appears in the Philly area where I am that coverage is equal but the further north east up 95 you go the better coverga goes to VZW.
    ^And Sprint has EVDO in Atlantic City while Verizon does not. Take a look at Sprint's future EVDO coverage in yellow and it quite broad for Philly. To be completed by end of this year. Verizon has not announced any expansion plans.

http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...adelphia,%20Pa
    Xeno - You are officially Sprint's #1 cheerleader on TC!

Both Sprint and VZW has good and bad spots. The best answer is for the OP to pick a network, test the heck out of it for the first 15 days, and switch if it doesn't work for him/her.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast