Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anybody have any info or an opinion as to whether there will be any compatibility issues with programs going from the NVFS 650 to the Non-Volitale 700P like there was going from the 600 to the 650?

I'd love to be able to pop in my SD card and bring all of my app to the new device.

Yes Perry I know we "should" do a complete clean install, but if I could just restore from a back up ang go I could save HOURS setting up the 700.
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    Does anybody have any info or an opinion as to whether there will be any compatibility issues with programs going from the NVFS 650 to the Non-Volitale 700P like there was going from the 600 to the 650?

I'd love to be able to pop in my SD card and bring all of my app to the new device.

Yes Perry I know we "should" do a complete clean install, but if I could just restore from a back up ang go I could save HOURS setting up the 700.

LOL

Hey Dragon! Well, you could try it and then report back. If something goes funky -- you could then do the clean install. . . . . .

I am going to go with a clean install and JackNaylorPE's suggestion on these problem prevention apps: http://www.northglide.com/

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 05/15/2006 at 08:16 AM.
  3.    #3  
    That's probably exactly what I'll do. Try it and see.

I just wondered if there was any info about it being a REALLY dumb thing to do before I try. LOL
    Visor Platinum-->Visor NEO--->M505--->Treo 300 Sprint--->Treo 600---> TREO 650 ---> Treo 700P ---> Treo 755 --->Touch Diamond--->Touch Pro ---> Palm Pre
    Check out the expert judges at http//:mobileappsshowdown.com
    There should be very little to no issues, lest you are migrating a 650 specific hack. In any case, when going to a new device, one should go over to that new device as clean as possible (carrying over PIM info isnt a major diddie at this point).
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I am confident that CallFilter will not work.
    It appears that I will need to delete some apps that are now duplicative, such as LudusW (SharkMsg), the previous version of DocsToGo, VoiceMemo, and Acrobat just to name a few.
    What about the apps and data we have on our SD cards? What's gonna be the best way to get those over? I'm going from a Sprint 600 to Sprint 700p.
    TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    What about the apps and data we have on our SD cards? What's gonna be the best way to get those over? I'm going from a Sprint 600 to Sprint 700p.
    TIA
    Hi Turbo!

I'm going to reload both the 700P and the SD card from scratch -- just like I would a PC -- I'm just paranoid that way. (My old SD card is staying with the 650 for my daughter.)

Of course, the clean install will move the PIM data over.
    (Contacts, Memos, Tasks, Calendar)

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi Turbo!

I'm going to reload both the 700P and the SD card from scratch -- just like I would a PC -- I'm just paranoid that way. (My old SD card is staying with the 650 for my daughter.)

Of course, the clean install will move the PIM data over.
    (Contacts, Memos, Tasks, Calendar)

Cheers, Perry.
    Tks Perry. That's what I thought. I gonna do the same and start with a new SD card.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    I'm actually praying that software upgrades to the 700p will be as seamless as just restoring your profile to a new device. I have over a hundred apps nstalled on my 650 and it would be a PITA to reinstall everything fresh again...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Hi Turbo!

2 questions:

1) Do you mean an app-by-app install from the backup folder on your PC, or downloading all new apps directly from the third-party app sites and then syncing?

2) No way to do it this way AND keep all saved info, from the non-important (hi-scores and level status in games) to the important (updated lists that are within third-party apps)?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    2 questions:

1) Do you mean an app-by-app install from the backup folder on your PC, or downloading all new apps directly from the third-party app sites and then syncing?

2) No way to do it this way AND keep all saved info, from the non-important (hi-scores and level status in games) to the important (updated lists that are within third-party apps)?

1) Redownload and install latest versions.

2) N/A for me.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108492

There's a ton of posts on this as you will see in post 3 from the above link but, in my experience, the surest cleaneast way to get this done is described later in the same post. It's not the easiest or quickest but it's the only sure fire way I ahev found to get rid of the junk.
    Thanks Perry and Jack.
    The 650 introduced issues with NVFS.

The p uses a different type of RAM than the 650 -with the RAM tied closer to the CPU. This may not present any problems, but I would bet that it does.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I think Perry and Jack are dead on here. I've never seen a PC or handheld (and that includes POS and WM5) that it wasn't more stable and a better install from scratch rather than upgrade or migration. As gfunk says, a real PITA, but much safer by my experience.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I am pretty sure that QLAUNCH will have trouble .
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    I'll be switching from Unlocked GSM 650 on Cingular Wireless to an EVDO Sprint Treo 700p and I read Perry's clean install post, I am left wondering what about those of us who may have no PIM info in Contacts or Calendar on our devices. I am using Goodlink for wireless email, contacts, and pretty much all of my PIM info.
    I do not mind doing a clean install. It should be a heck of a lot easier to find 15MB of free memory on the 700P than on the 650 without having to perform a hard boot first then making sure to install GoodLink first.
    Am I high for believing I'll be able to run my Goodlink apps that ran over Cingular's EDGE network on my NEW Treo 700p on Sprint's EVDO network or am I sober with a solid designated driving plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry
    I'll be switching from Unlocked GSM 650 on Cingular Wireless to an EVDO Sprint Treo 700p and I read Perry's clean install post, I am left wondering what aboiut those of us who may have no PIM info in Contacts or Calendar on our devices. I am using Goodlink for wireless email, contacts, and pretty much all of my PIM info.
    I do not mind doing a clean install. It should be a heck of a lot easier to find 15MB of free memory on the 700P than on the 650 without having to perform a hard boot first then making sure to install GoodLink first.
    Am I high for believing I'll be able to run my Goodlink apps that ran over Cingular's EDGE network on my NEW Treo 700p on Sprint's EVDO network or am I sober with a solid designated driving plan?

Not a clue TTB. I would PM this question to GoodGuy.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry
    GoodLink doesn't care what network you are running on.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast