Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzo
    I am confident that CallFilter will not work.
    how do you know this?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=108492

There's a ton of posts on this as you will see in post 3 from the above link but, in my experience, the surest cleaneast way to get this done is described later in the same post. It's not the easiest or quickest but it's the only sure fire way I ahev found to get rid of the junk.
    Tks Jack
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I'm actually praying that software upgrades to the 700p will be as seamless as just restoring your profile to a new device. I have over a hundred apps nstalled on my 650 and it would be a PITA to reinstall everything fresh again...

A clean install is just like reformating and just rebuild the palm. That is what I plan to do.
    I am concerned over audio gateway. Will bluetooth 1.2 version will change something? Will it work on 700P? Do I have to buy a new version for 700P or softick will issue upgrade for new 700P (if current version didnt work on 700P).
    Thoughts?? Predictions??
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Um...why? Just being pessimistic?

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    And here I thought that this would be a simple answer. Seriously, for all of you, the best thing to do would be to make clean install of both apps on the 700p as well as a clean install of Palm Desktop and all of your condutis.

In terms of duplicate programs, I would wait to install them. Give the developers some time to catch up with any issues that might be there, as well as possibly add some things that might be missing.

In terms of programs like TomTom and Goodlink, you would be best installing them in the second run (first run being to install Uninstall Manager/Cleanup or a similar program and a backup program). This will ensure that you would be able to test the app with dwindling amts of memory as you install other apps and you might be able to catch something those developers were not able to catch before you do something to hose your information or your device.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Um...why? Just being pessimistic?
    only works half of the time for me anyway
    Yea, but I'm sure MTDN will Hype it up, like they did for the 650.
    Comments like: "Announcing CallFilter - The Best Treo 700 Call Filter & Ringtone Software Ever!"
    "it's one of the best software products ever developed for any smartphone"
    "Robert Johnson of Velocityware Inc. (VWare), the mytreo.net Star Developer, is the God Father of call filtering and ringtone management software."

Try it for free*

*5 days
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Yea, but I'm sure MTDN will Hype it up, like they did for the 650.
    Comments like: "Announcing CallFilter - The Best Treo 700 Call Filter & Ringtone Software Ever!"
    "it's one of the best software products ever developed for any smartphone"
    "Robert Johnson of Velocityware Inc. (VWare), the mytreo.net Star Developer, is the God Father of call filtering and ringtone management software."

Try it for free*

*5 days
    ...if you only need two or three filters (like me) just delete in ZLauncher, then restore out of the recycle bin. Wipes out your rules, but it takes me like 3 seconds to set 'em back up.
    1. Unknown calls. Sorry, not in my contacts? Leave a VM.
    2. Blocked calls. Don't wanna tell me who you are? Go to hell.
    3. No Caller ID calls? See above OR you live so far out in the sticks I don't wanna talk to you.
    4. And finally? Victoria Weathers. Don't ask.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    MTDN Hypes it Up!
    And then when people get pist, they lock the Thread!
    http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,12934.15.html
    Just call me Berd.
    Considering that it doesn't even work on the 650, I'd have to agree with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man
    Considering that it doesn't even work on the 650, I'd have to agree with you.
    I expected your response for some time now!
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonman
    Does anybody have any info or an opinion as to whether there will be any compatibility issues with programs going from the NVFS 650 to the Non-Volitale 700P like there was going from the 600 to the 650?

I'd love to be able to pop in my SD card and bring all of my app to the new device.

Yes Perry I know we "should" do a complete clean install, but if I could just restore from a back up ang go I could save HOURS setting up the 700.
    Their both 'non-volatile' memory, NVFS = Non-Volatile File System and it's a Palm only deal, right? The NVFS is like flash RAM per se, right? I assume the 700p uses a more generic Non-Volatile system if not the same?
    I can only speak to MobileTS (terminal Server client), TreoGuard, TreoAlertManager, and Ringo.

The first three "just worked" and Ringo required on OTA download because of the change in mp3 player between the 650 and the 700.

That took about 3 seconds on EVDO, and then everything just worked.

For those using the renamed VersaMail (now called Email), 'Exchange Activesync' will now also sync contacts, but -- doggone it -- still doesn't sync notes, which I hate. If it would sync notes I'd never have to sync other than installing applications....
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    2 questions:

1) Do you mean an app-by-app install from the backup folder on your PC, or downloading all new apps directly from the third-party app sites and then syncing?

2) No way to do it this way AND keep all saved info, from the non-important (hi-scores and level status in games) to the important (updated lists that are within third-party apps)?
    1) I have all the original downloads in a R;\Downloads\Treo directory. I install as if I never had a Treo before other than copying the four *.dat files over as in teh referenced post.

2) The clean install makes sure that you have no extra files in main memory. You can always copy over individual files for saved games, preferences etc as yiou can keep track of what came outta backup and what didn't.

Sure would be nice to have a 'compare" tool that compared your newly installed appas with what ya alst backup was such that you could export a list and then go search to find out what each files was and if known and happy, copy over.
    Lately, whenever I see an app that I think I would like to buy, I hesitate, wondering if it will also work with the 700p. Am I Paranoid?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Lately, whenever I see an app that I think I would like to buy, I hesitate, wondering if it will also work with the 700p. Am I Paranoid?

Hi Berdinkerdickle !!

Cautious, not paranoid.

I fully expect that any program that is working on my 650 will work on my 700P. There may be 1 or 2 isolated cases of NOT, but then I would expect the software maker to already be working on the patch or upgrade. (Of course, I spent 8 months in the PPR believing in the 700P, as well.)

Cheers, Perry.
    What would be the problem with installing the new Palm s/w to a fresh directory and then beaming the contacts, memo, calendar, etc (PIM data) from the old Treo to the new one rather than copying the old files from the old Palm directory?

Anyone try this when upgrading to a new device?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasmeister
    What would be the problem with installing the new Palm s/w to a fresh directory and then beaming the contacts, memo, calendar, etc (PIM data) from the old Treo to the new one rather than copying the old files from the old Palm directory?

Anyone try this when upgrading to a new device?
    When I went from my Tungsten T3 to my Treo 650, I did something like this. I did give my Treo a new userid though -- beamed all my PIM data over and then installed all 3rd party software fresh. My T3 and 650 were then both operational.

The Clean Install does the same thing (gives you a fresh device and all your PIM data moved over) but does allow you to retain your same userid on the new device.

I think the beaming vs. copying question you pose -- the answer is both methods get you to the same place -- just differently. I am not sure if one is more foolproof than the other.

Cheers, Perry.
    Thanks Perry...

One more question: If I read your reply correctly, if I rename my old Palm directory, install the 700 s/w into a new Palm directory and hotsync, I will be given the choice to use my old hotsync ID? I kinda figured I'd have to create a new ID since the old one was associated with the old directory.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast