Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Shockingly, it does not support the WiFi card and it does not have WiFi embedded. Palm stated that it wasn't worth the hit to battery life to operate two radios (cellular + WiFi). I inquired about VoIP, such as supporting the Skype client and Palm replied, "That's related to the WiFi question. Because we're not supporting WiFi, we're not supporting VoIP. It's not to say it's not something we wouldn't look into in the future. Usability and being able to use your phone at the end of the day is probably the most important thing we consider." Bummer. But this doesn't preclude a third-party from developing a VoIP application for the Treo. Alas, the most popular VoIP client, Skype, has no plans to support the Palm operating system.
    http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...00p-review.asp

Alas, this is the most depressing thing I've read about the 700p and FrankenGarnet version of PalmOS.

However, I am confused why Palm thinks they need to exclusinvely link wifi support with VoIP compatibility. I would think 1xEvDo would have enough bandwidth for this and heck even 1xrtt has enough bandwidth as evidences by MobiVoip. Thus it's too bad Palm doesn't seem to think VoIP support for the 700p is primary concern...

To be honest, the two most important features that I use on my x50v regularly that I wish were possible on the Treo are streaming wmv and Skype client support. (Using Uptodate med is another but I digress). Fortunately the former seems to have been solved with builtin wmv support via Kinoma, but the lack of major VoIP client support has not! MobVoip is a nice product, but the problem is that most people I know already use other clients, and i also need the ability to make device to computer calls as well...

Eh...guess I'll still be keeping my x50v for a while to come...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Im with you on that one i use my Kjam daily to make calls with skype, check email etc all through wifi. Does this mean im not getting the 70p?, hell no.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Hum... I dunno, I think Skype would be possible. I've been able to use it fine over EVDO and my 700w. I don't see why all of a sudden with the Palm OS you'd have to use Wifi.

They probably just won't officially support it, seeing that the cell company's may get a bit ticked if your running unlimited internet and call everyone over EVDO, rather than making a normal call using your minutes.
    Skype does work over EVDO on laptops. Several on evdoforums.com have tried it. But is there a PalmOS Skype client?
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Skype, has no plans to support the Palm operating system.
    for me

no Wifi
    =
    no 700P
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Skype does work over EVDO on laptops. Several on evdoforums.com have tried it. But is there a PalmOS Skype client?
    Either skype or something similar was in beta. I heard that like a month ago.
    <s></s>
    I am a GSMer so I will be waiting. But without wifi, I think I will be moving on to a HTC windows phone.
    I have a laptop with Sprint EVDO and WiFi. I essentially never need to use WiFi as EVDO is fast enough and is metrowide. I never have to search for WiFi hotspots. At work, I even tend to do VPN over EVDO instead of using work's WiFi.

WiFi is soooo last century. Not sure why you'd need it on a phone when EVDO is metrowide.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    No wifi = no 700P...not everyone has that extra cash to pay 4 evdo or even just for internet..
    That's surely dissapointing. But I'm stilling gonna get it.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    I have a laptop with Sprint EVDO and WiFi. I essentially never need to use WiFi as EVDO is fast enough and is metrowide. I never have to search for WiFi hotspots. At work, I even tend to do VPN over EVDO instead of using work's WiFi.

WiFi is soooo last century. Not sure why you'd need it on a phone when EVDO is metrowide.

1xEvDo converage does not exist every where yet. Secondly the point of this thread is that the lack of integrated wifi seems to have dissuaded Palm and others from developing VoIP clients for PalmOS.

VoIP is such a huge and important functionality and I am suprised how disinterested and slow Palm seems to be to support this. Furthermore wifi would be really valuable in situations where there is no cellular converage at all or if traveling overseas etc...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Wow! Wifi availability just became a bigger deal! Check this out... Skype announced that SkypeOut is now free. If you have a wifi connection, free phone calls to any landline or mobile phone in the US.

http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2006...dlines_an.html
    ^Again, Skype will work over EVDO. Several on evdoforums.com have done it. Latency is more of an issue than bandwidth but Skype works fairly well.
    For the fellow physician moderator....just got this email today from UpToDate:

Dr Maurer

Thank you for your response. Thank you for your interest in the Palm version; unfortunately the beta testing has already been closed as far as accepting new testers. Please contact us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Gladymir

Technical Support
    UpToDate
    95 Sawyer Road
    Waltham, MA 02453
    Phone: 1-800-998-6374 (N.America) or
    1-781-392-2000
    Fax: 1-781-642-8840
    support@uptodate.com
    www.uptodate.com
    UpToDate

Putting Clinical Information Into Practice

Please attach all previous correspondence to your email. This will expedite our response and ensure the quality of the reply.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 11:02 AM
    To: Support
    Subject: RE: Cannot search

Oh, would love to Beta test this product for you!
    thanks,
    Dr Maurer

Sent: Mon 5/15/2006 9:44 AM
    To: Subject: RE: Cannot search

Dr. Maurer,

Thank you for contacting UpToDate. We are currently developing the Palm version of UpToDate and expect to release it later this year. An exact timeline is not available as we are still in the process of debugging the product.

Sincerely,

Dan
    Senior Technical Support Representative
    UpToDate
    95 Sawyer Road
    Waltham, MA 02453
    Phone: 1-800-998-6374 (N.America) or
    1-781-392-2000
    Fax: 1-781-642-8840
    support@uptodate.com
    www.uptodate.com

UpToDate
    Putting Clinical Information Into Practice

<edit by gfunkmagic >
    Last edited by ArmyDoc; 05/15/2006 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Email address showing!
    Ouch, with SkypeOut being free that really is a big blow. This could have been a homerun of great proportions for Palm.
    ^Except that Skype does not have a PalmOS client. But Skype does work on a laptop via EVDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    for me

no Wifi
    =
    no 700P
    You are not the customer. Sprint and Verizon are the customer. As long as they are the customer, there will be no Wi-Fi on any Treo. This will be true even if the technical problems, e.g., battery life, could be solved.
    Actually, my friends (drum roll please), there IS A WAY to get access to Skype on the 600, 650, and 700p and you can do it right now! The solution is called SoonR.

SoonR installs a client on your Skype connected PC and makes your Skype contact list available on your custom SoonR web page. Using your web browser (on the Treo OR on a PC) you initiate the call to a Skype contact from your SoonR account. SoonR then calls the Skype party you chose and uses the Skype conference feature to dial back to your Treo (or any mobile phone for that matter) and link you with your party. Think of it as an automatic conference operator for Skype. Obvious and clever at the same time.

For now (at least for the US for the rest of '06 since Skypeout is now free) this is a (mostly) free solution. "Mostly" because IT WILL utilize your plan minutes if you have to pay for incoming calls. I guess for those with nights and weekend plans it won't cost anything during the "free" time periods. It's not true full VOIP because part of the call uses the cellular voice network, not the data network, but hey, it's all digital and the difference is more academic than real.

One caveat, with the 600 and 650 you have to inititiate the call from the phone browser and jump quickly right to the phone app, otherwise you will miss the conference call back from Skype. With the 700p using EVDO, this is not an issue since the call back will be received even if you are in web mode; it will be much more natural with the 700p and its faster web access.

SoonR also has the extra bonus of being, in addition to a Skype bridge, the best file access/share client I have seen. It blows Avennu and others away for accessing your files remotely with smooth integration into the most popular desktop search tools (Google Desktop, Yahoo, X1 and Windows). Enjoy - it just works (but don't use the Skype 2.5 beta, SoonR is not ready for that yet).

So, you CAN call any Skype contact on their PC, no matter where in the world they are and you do not need WIFi access. No, its not WiFi, but its advantages probably outweigh its disadvantages, IMHO. The biggest advantage is you don't need WiFi or a fast data connection at all! I was impressed and almost amazed with their 0.9x beta. What do you think? For those who wanted WIFi mostly for Skype the obstacles have mostly been removed.
    Last edited by weisshb; 05/15/2006 at 02:09 PM.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    You are not the customer. Sprint and Verizon are the customer. As long as they are the customer, there will be no Wi-Fi on any Treo. This will be true even if the technical problems, e.g., battery life, could be solved.

Then why do they offer other devices that do have integrated wifi or at least wifi addon option?

No, the lack of integrated wifi on the 700p is more a function of the limitations of FrankenGarnet than anything else. Palm probably wants to integrate the same seamless wireless radio switching found on other platforms like WM. That's probably very difficult to do on Frankengarnet, but I would still like that option, at least as a wifi sd card addon...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast