Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by UnclePunk
    Wow! Wifi availability just became a bigger deal! Check this out... Skype announced that SkypeOut is now free. If you have a wifi connection, free phone calls to any landline or mobile phone in the US.

http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2006...dlines_an.html

Yeah, that is freaking huge!!! That also totally makes the EQO solution for incoming skype calls irrelavant! Now, if we could finally get a palmos skype client to make outgoing calls, it would be absolutely perfect!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyDoc
    For the fellow physician moderator....just got this email today from UpToDate:

Dr Maurer

Thank you for your response. Thank you for your interest in the Palm version; unfortunately the beta testing has already been closed as far as accepting new testers. Please contact us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Gladymir

Technical Support
    UpToDate
    95 Sawyer Road
    Waltham, MA 02453
    Phone: 1-800-998-6374 (N.America) or
    1-781-392-2000
    Fax: 1-781-642-8840
    support@uptodate.com
    www.uptodate.com
    UpToDate

Putting Clinical Information Into Practice

Please attach all previous correspondence to your email. This will expedite our response and ensure the quality of the reply.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 11:02 AM
    To: Support
    Subject: RE: Cannot search

Oh, would love to Beta test this product for you!
    thanks,
    Dr Maurer

Sent: Mon 5/15/2006 9:44 AM
    To: Maurer, Douglas M MAJ MAMC
    Subject: RE: Cannot search

Dr. Maurer,

Thank you for contacting UpToDate. We are currently developing the Palm version of UpToDate and expect to release it later this year. An exact timeline is not available as we are still in the process of debugging the product.

Sincerely,

Dan
    Senior Technical Support Representative
    UpToDate
    95 Sawyer Road
    Waltham, MA 02453
    Phone: 1-800-998-6374 (N.America) or
    1-781-392-2000
    Fax: 1-781-642-8840
    support@uptodate.com
    www.uptodate.com

UpToDate
    Putting Clinical Information Into Practice

Thanks for the info! I can't wait for UptoDate for Palmos to finally release. It will be one less reason for me to keep my x50v afterall!
    Last edited by Gaurav; 05/15/2006 at 03:33 PM.

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshb
    Actually, my friends (drum roll please), there IS A WAY to get access to Skype on the 600, 650, and 700p and you can do it right now! The solution is called SoonR.

SoonR installs a client on your Skype connected PC and makes your Skype contact list available on your custom SoonR web page. Using your web browser (on the Treo OR on a PC) you initiate the call to a Skype contact from your SoonR account. SoonR then calls the Skype party you chose and uses the Skype conference feature to dial back to your Treo (or any mobile phone for that matter) and link you with your party.

For now (at least for the US for the rest of '06 since Skypeout is now free) this is a (mostly) free solution. "Mostly" because IT WILL utilize your plan minutes if you have to pay for incoming calls. I guess for those with nights and weekend plans it won't cost anything during the "free" time periods. It's not true full VOIP because part of the call uses the cellular voice network, not the data network, but hey, it's all digital and the difference is more academic than real.

One caveat, with the 600 and 650 you have to inititiate the call from the phone browser and jump quickly right to the phone app, otherwise you will miss the conference call back from Skype. With the 700p using EVDO, this is not an issue since the call back will be received even if you are in web mode; it will be much more natural with the 700p and its faster web access.

SoonR also has the extra bonus of being, in addition to a Skype bridge, the best file access/share client I have seen. It blows Avennu and others away for accessing your files remotely with smooth integration into the most popular desktop search tools (Google Desktop, Yahoo, X1 and Windows).

Enjoy - it just works (but don't use the Skype 2.5 beta, Soonr is not ready for that yet).

So, you CAN call any Skype contact on their PC, no matter where in the world they are and you do not need WIFi access. No, its not WiFi but its advantages outweigh its disadvantages, IMHO. I was impressed and almost amazed with their 0.9x beta. What do you think?

Sounds a lot like EQO except SoonR uses a web interface instead of a native PalmOS application that EQo utilizes. Also SoonR lets you do a lot more things via remote than just access skype...

Anyway, free SkypeOut to USA/Canada really changes everything! Incoming calls now to your Treo via skype is suddenly no problem at all...only limited to the amount of AT minutes you have (even less if you have unlimited NW). Even making outgoing skype calls is now more enviable since, at least according to EQO client, it uses skypeOut for outgoing as well. Thus the whole thing is free!!! Having a native skype client to make outgoing calls is better, b/c you then wouldn't have to depend on you computer always being on, but at least that is something...

Exactly and good points. One other vision I have is to integrate ORB and SoonR functionality into one client. Certainly doable (ORB already has a Skype voice mail product integrated). Mixing those two development teams would create real synergism!
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    You are not the customer. Sprint and Verizon are the customer. As long as they are the customer, there will be no Wi-Fi on any Treo. This will be true even if the technical problems, e.g., battery life, could be solved.
    (hey -- long time, whmurray !)

I actually agree with gfunk -- the carriers have seemed to have accepted (if only grudgingly) wifi capable phones on their systems.

A few months a go I ran into a Palm exec that I know casually , and I asked him about the status of getting wifi on my 650 (via sd card). He was adamant that they had tried, and that it was not a viable option with the current POS.

Spoke to a Palm exec I casually know recently who had been involved in the internal discussion/attempt to bring wifi drivers to the 650 -- despite my metaphorical thumbs around his adams apple he was adamant that there would be no wifi drivers written by them for the POS. As has been written about here many times previously this is because of the difficuly of gracefully integrating the various telephony, wifi, edge etc "radios" within the POS stack

I asked why not provide for a manual user activated option -- and he just waved me off with a "aint goin happen..."
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-ulk
    No wifi = no 700P...not everyone has that extra cash to pay 4 evdo or even just for internet..
    Wi-Fi is not free. I do not understand "just for internet." Do people really buy Treo's "just for phone calls?"
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    (hey -- long time, whmurray !)

I actually agree with gfunk -- the carriers have seemed to have accepted (if only grudgingly) wifi capable phones on their systems.
    When they are specifying and buying the phones?
    Major...I would edit out your .mil email address if I were you
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Major...I would edit out your .mil email address if I were you
    I agree...edit your post Major quick!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    No, the lack of integrated wifi on the 700p is more a function of the limitations of FrankenGarnet than anything else.
    If that is the case then it begs the question as to why the 700W doesn't have integrated Wi-Fi.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    If that is the case then it begs the question as to why the 700W doesn't have integrated Wi-Fi.

But Palm does offer SD Wifi drivers though! Thus making the point that at least on WM, Palm could have integrated wifi like other OEM's have done. On frankenGarnet, they are not even willing to do that...

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Thus making the point that at least on WM, Palm could have integrated wifi like other OEM's have done.
    I agree but I think it's more than just the OS that stopped Palm inregrating Wi-Fi into the 700's.
    Thanks, just made some further changes, Newbie posting you'll have to excuse me!
    When they are specifying and buying the phones?
    for sprinters and vizons, how else do they get a phone if not by getting it through those carriers ??

almost every one of those poor demented CDMA creatures gets their phone through their carrier -- they've not the flexibility of GSM, where monkeys like me are able to easily buy independently our own unlocked phones...
    Skype will not invest the time, money, and resources to create a garnet POS cliet until there is a sufficient POS WIFI population to jusify that effort.

Its a classic chicken and egg phenomena -- Skype ain't going to do it until there's a pre-existing market of POS WIFI users.
    Last edited by BARYE; 05/16/2006 at 07:53 AM.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Wi-Fi is not free. I do not understand "just for internet." Do people really buy Treo's "just for phone calls?"
    i know wi-fi is not free but atleast for me, as I am a student, it is almost at every place I m throughout the day, better than cell signal...for me treo is ofcourse for the phone calls then usual pda functions (calender, memo etc...)
    Skype will not invest the time, money, and resources to create a garnet POS cliet until there is a sufficient POS WIFI population to jusify that effort.

Its a classic chicken and egg phenomena -- Skype ain't going to do it until there's a pre-existing market of POS WIFI users.
    True. However, I seem to recall reading that Skype's business strategy includes encouraging third-party development. We already know that EV-DO provides adequate b/w using the PC client. Perhaps one of our Palm OS developers would like to stake out the territory.
    for sprinters and vizons, how else do they get a phone if not by getting it through those carriers ??

almost every one of those poor demented CDMA creatures gets their phone through their carrier -- they've not the flexibility of GSM, where monkeys like me are able to easily buy independently our own unlocked phones...
    Yes. And they get the phone that Sprint and Verizon want them to have (including no wi-fi).

Seems to me that I recall buying a GSM Treo from a distributor in Singapore who had it before Palm would ship it here (they were engaged in a strategy to get as many Treo customers as possible to switch to Sprint).
    I have tried soonR with my Treo 650 and it is impossible to time when to switch back to the phone mode after clicking on a contact of Skype in the browser. it always goes back to voice mail. Any suggestions besides buiyng the treo 700p?
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk
    I agree but I think it's more than just the OS that stopped Palm inregrating Wi-Fi into the 700's.

No actually I think it is. Just look at all the supposedly difficulties Palm is rumored to have to overcome to port UMTS stack onto the Treo b/c of the limitation of the PalmOS to support dual voice + data connectivity simutaneously? No just imagine if they had to also add wifi drivers to that mix while at the same time trying to create the seamless wireless radio switching functionalty found on other platforms? I mean can you imagine if users had to turn off their phone to use wifi and not be able to receive incoming calls? I do not think that is how Palm wants to integrate wifi onto the Treo obviously.

This is not to say that I don't begrudge Palm for not trying b/c this lack of wifi functionality just looks really bad...like others stated they could have integrated this into the 700w. But to totally discount the platform issues of frankengarnet though is naive imo...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast