Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I noticed this bizarre claim in the palm 700p specs, but I'm puzzled how they've managed to go from 12MB uncompressed ROM to OVER 64MB of ROM.

Basically, a regular-joe CDMA 650 phone uses approx. 12MB uncompressed ROM.

A LifeDrive has a ROM that totals approximately 19MB.

This would mean that they've added over 45MB of extra ROM to a device with a fraction of the space of the LifeDrive.

The funny thing is that palmOne's spec for the 700w lists non-volatile ROM as:

"128MB non-volatile memory (60MB user available)"

Hmm! Looks like a marketroid screwed up.

My guess is that either:

1. The Treo 700p actually has 64MB of flash and 12-15 MB of that is uncompressed ROM, leaving 50 MB of user-available space
    2. The 700p does have 128MB of flash and there's a lot more available than they say

I remember that we had merlyn dump the memory specs on his 700p, but I can't remember what they read out.
    Maybe so it can be upgraded when they release a new version of the PalmOS? How big is the Linux based OS going to be?
    Oh no, not another "Palm memory marketing fiasco" like the 700w? No, please!!!
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by seaflipper
    Oh no, not another "Palm memory marketing fiasco" like the 700w? No, please!!!
    The worst part is that they cut & pasted from the 700w specs without taking into account that PalmOS isn't massive.
    They put additional software into the ROM. Such as the Documents to Go 8 suite. Thats nice, but what happens with Docs to Go 9 comes out and people want to upgrade? ROM editor to delete 8 to save space?
    Yeah that is pretty freaking wierd... So if the 700p realy does have a 128 MB Nand integrated onto the xscale proc (I assume instead of using Nand DOC), then the mem architecture should have alot more Storage heap than 60MB unless there is alot more crap on the rom than before...

Recall that palm is supposed bundling Kinoma, Ptunes, DTG etc OTB on the 700p. That's alot of crap which could be taking a whole bunch of space on the Rom etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    This is the same specs which Merlyn_3D reported. They are using the other 64MB of the 128MB flash chip for other purposes. It wont be user accessible.

Surur
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Yeah that is pretty freaking wierd... So if the 700p realy does have a 128 MB Nand integrated onto the xscale proc (I assume instead of using Nand DOC), then the mem architecture should have alot more Storage heap than 60MB unless there is alot more crap on the rom than before...

Recall that palm is supposed bundling Kinoma, Ptunes, DTG etc OTB on the 700p. That's alot of crap which could be taking a whole bunch of space on the Rom etc...
    Hmm.. good point. Still, this is the total uncompressed ROM size of the files that were on the 700p. Silly me for not doing this earlier :

[matthew@epsilon 700p]$ du -Hs
    du: WARNING: use --si, not -H; the meaning of the -H option will soon
    change to be the same as that of --dereference-args (-D)
    33M .

I count: DTG, Kinoma, pTunes, SprintTV, AddIt, HandangoLauncher and some extra palm apps (voice memo, live mode).

And this is the lifedrive:

[matthew@epsilon lifedrive]$ du -Hs
    du: WARNING: use --si, not -H; the meaning of the -H option will soon
    change to be the same as that of --dereference-args (-D)
    19M .

That's still a few megs shy of the 68 MB they are talking about... unless it's only 96 MB total (96 - 33 - 3 for misc ~= 60 MB).
    Actually in a video interview it was confirmed that there is only 60 MB user available.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceUponAn00b
    Actually in a video interview it was confirmed that there is only 60 MB user available.
    No one is disputing that. The question is what happenned to the other ~50+/- MB of Nand? Is it occupied by ridiculously large Rom with bundled apps, or is it empty or something else?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I guess the 128MB chip includes two seperate chips, one 64MB consists of the compressed ROM(about 8MB) and uncompressed OEM applications, like DTG, PTUNES, another 64MB is use accessiable.

It should also include 64MB real RAM.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

Treo 750 hacks thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Maybe so it can be upgraded when they release a new version of the PalmOS? How big is the Linux based OS going to be?
    The days of handhelds being OS upgradable are long over. I think the last Palm to really get a significant OS upgrade available for it was the Palm III or so (going from OS 3 to 4? Something like that). These days you're lucky to get a patch. A major OS upgrade happens when you upgrade your hardware and that's it.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    some thought, If I were designing a phone that I wantede to be upgraded easily, and it had 128MB of ram, and I wanted to give users 64MB of ram to use. I would consider limiting rom size to 32MB of ram. That way, for upgraded, one has a guaranteed "scratch" area of 32MB to write it to. One could then simply switch b/w scratch and "live" when an upgrade occurs, make it much harder to kill the phone during an upgrade.

also, we currently have 12MB compressed of rom, its possible that they are installing it uncompressed. This would make startup time on the phone significantly faster.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I wish they would shove java into the rom
    In this day and age, why are we even dealing with such a minimal amount of memory? 128mb is next to nothing. My cell phone of over a year has more memory built in!

Palm is really giving it to us up the a**
    Quote Originally Posted by treofun
    In this day and age, why are we even dealing with such a minimal amount of memory? 128mb is next to nothing. My cell phone of over a year has more memory built in!

They have been for years.
    The release also mentions a larges dbheap( 10M ) and the dbcache is 18M Thats 28 + 33 for apps = 61M. That about covers all the space.
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone
    They have been for years.
    "Thank you sir, may I have another?"
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

It's the new Palm marketing slogan, just below a smiling picture of Ed:

"If we ain't ****** you, we don't know you!"
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.

Good point. for $600, they can give us more than $10 worth of memory.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast